Teaching adults how to cycle

Ram

Oct 18, 2011, 5:25:41 AM10/18/11
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Hi guys,

Being aware of a thread on getting kids on the bike, I'm creating a
new thread for adults. I know of a couple at least who really want to
learn how to ride, but are too embarrassed to try it on our roads, and
rightfully so. We ain't an encouraging lot, and a lot of heckling
happens. Why don't we try to organize a biking camp for adults?

Count me in as the first volunteer, I can scope possible locations for
this as well.

Thanks,
Ram

Mayank Rungta

Oct 18, 2011, 5:35:55 AM10/18/11
to Ram, Bangalore Bikers Club
Excellent - I have at least 2-3 friends who don't know to cycle - most of them are girls who never picked it up when they were kids. Please let know if there are people wanting to help teach biking to them as a part of a camp or otherwise! :)

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

Ashwatha Matthur

Oct 18, 2011, 6:09:12 AM10/18/11
to Mayank Rungta, Ram, Bangalore Bikers Club

Ram

Oct 18, 2011, 6:15:19 AM10/18/11
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Ashwatha,

This time around, I am looking at a camp kinda thing with multiple
participants. Strength in numbers, rather than each one of them trying
alone ;-)

On Oct 18, 3:09 pm, Ashwatha Matthur <ashwat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here you go:http://groups.google.com/group/bangalore-bikers/browse_thread/thread/...
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Mayank Rungta <mr.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Excellent - I have at least 2-3 friends who don't know to cycle - most of
> > them are girls who never picked it up when they were kids. Please let know
> > if there are people wanting to help teach biking to them as a part of a camp
> > or otherwise! :)
>
> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Ram <ramachandran.eswa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Hi guys,
>
> >> Being aware of a thread on getting kids on the bike, I'm creating a
> >> new thread for adults. I know of a couple at least who really want to
> >> learn how to ride, but are too embarrassed to try it on our roads, and
> >> rightfully so. We ain't an encouraging lot, and a lot of heckling
> >> happens. Why don't we try to organize a biking camp for adults?
>
> >> Count me in as the first volunteer, I can scope possible locations for
> >> this as well.
>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ram
>
> >> --
> >> biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> >> are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
> >> Visitwww.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor more details

Arvind Ganesh

Oct 18, 2011, 6:17:43 AM10/18/11
to Bangalore Bikers Club
On a related note, this approach struck me as pretty effective. I think someone posted it here a while back.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Oct 18, 2011, 6:48:34 AM10/18/11
to Arvind Ganesh, Bangalore Bikers Club
Nice video, but I notice that the lady's balance is off at times. I am sure she must have fallen a few times,and it must have been edited out.  Plus I would love to get such a manicured garden if I were on the older side and wanted to learn to bicycle, but that is difficult in Bangalore.

The fear of falling is very high for someone who's worried about osteoporosis, arthritis , and general diffidence.  One option would be if we can manufacture training wheels for normal sized bikes. That would make it easy.  This won't take care of the situations where they start thinking 'What will people think' , but reducing the likelihood of injuries would be good 1s step.

Somebody in their mid-20's might be reasonably +ve about learning it, but I am talking about the 50+ category folks. I've tried to goad two close relatives to cycle, but the fear of falling, disapproval of their husbands and general feeling of ' What will people think'  means its a no go. But I swear I did detect a gleam in their eye when I told them I would be happy to help them learn cycle and they should be able to do it if they wanted to.

Regards
Chiddu

Jaikant Chandra Kumaran

Oct 18, 2011, 6:52:54 AM10/18/11
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Arvind Ganesh, Bangalore Bikers Club
Teaching my kid to cycle was not so difficult as they were light weight and I could easily prevent them from falling.
With an adult it will be more difficult for sure.

Couple of folks at my workplace too who would want to learn.
It would be good to bring them all together and make the learning experience community based. Count me in for any volunteering around this.

Jai

Deepa Mohan

Oct 18, 2011, 6:59:02 AM10/18/11
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Arvind Ganesh, Bangalore Bikers Club
As someone who learnt to cycle at the ripe old age of 28, I must say the fear of falling is a factor to reckon with...Also, I am not so sure that I would choose a slop to start cycling on...the "runaway" feeling would scare me a lot. My way, as I've said here earlier, was to get a child's cycle (I didn't care about people laughing, they were laughing anyway!) and the fear of falling was completely eliminated.

Parents...do teach your children to cycle and swim as early as possible :)

Chiddu...tell your relatives about me, I am very willing to answer questions or motivate, if need be!

Cheers, Deepa.

Opendro

Oct 18, 2011, 7:46:16 AM10/18/11
to Bangalore Bikers Club
That is impressive Deepa.

At the same time, someone younger than 35 could be motivated to learn
bicycle by saying that they could even ride a motor cycle. But it
would be hard to motivate one at 50. Or the person could be altogether
inclined towards a car. So, hard to motivate in any case.

If the interest is there, I too believe that it wouldn't be hard to
learn. For that matter, even a roller skate or skiing would be equally
difficult to learn. The falls are nasty. I learnt roller skating just
a year ago :)

Kishan Kumar

Oct 18, 2011, 10:02:00 AM10/18/11
to Arvind Ganesh, Bangalore Bikers Club
I had seen a similar video for kids. I really like the concept because the teacher doesn't have to sweat. If you notice, the learner does all by self wit only instruction.

Sent from my iPhone

Manjesh Chandrashekaran

Aug 7, 2012, 2:42:28 AM8/7/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Check out I Cycle!  (www.ICYCLE.in)!
The rides are designed for "beginner" cyclists to experience the joys of cycling.  All trails are "non-main" road routes with a picturesque scenery around!
LEVEL-1 Bidadi-Magadi ride is one of the best initiation to cycling!

Chidambaran Subramanian

Aug 7, 2012, 2:51:08 AM8/7/12
to Manjesh Chandrashekaran, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
These are for people who know how to balance on 2 wheels, I think the
original post is about getting to that point. The ground opposite
Capitol School in JP Nagar 7th phase is a public ground. folks can
afford to ride and fall on the ground without getting injured. I'm
game for a Saturday evening. If there is sufficient numbers then the
newbies , including girls don't have to worry about falling, at the
least there will be sufficient numbers and chances of them feeling
that they would embarrass themselves will be lower.

One other thing that we could do is to try and get a few side wheels
fabricated (unless already available) for full sized cycles. That way
they don't have to worry about falling. For the 20-30 year olds, the
fear of injury may not be there, but it would be there for a 50-70
year old. I've been trying to convince some elderly folks to start,
but for them the fear of injury is real

Regards
Chiddu

Ram

Aug 7, 2012, 4:10:56 AM8/7/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Where in Bangalore are you located?
I hauled my wife and cycle to some deserted roads on the way to Chikka tirupathi off Whitefield for a few weekends. I have to admit that it didn't work out too well, since the effort was not sustained. We didn't go a few weekends and it was all back to scratch. My 2 cents, whatever technique you use to learn how to cycle, you've got to keep at it as often as possible till you're comfortable.

Another thing you want to consider is the size of the cycle. I initially bought a cycle for my wife which was a teensy little too big. For learning, you need the size that allows you to place your feet on the ground when on the saddle, so that you can quickly resort to doing that when in need. This adds oodles of confidence when you try any manoeuvres/techniques. This is very important, since you are already riding in a straight line now, and want to progress. I'd suggest you get confident with using the brakes before trying to steer.

I don't want to sound sexist, but the truth remains that it is easier to learn in our cities if you're a guy. You'll get a lot less staring and a lot less comments than my wife did, so good luck!

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:45:18 AM UTC+5:30, Sam wrote:
Hi Ram,

since you are the initiator of this post, i find great possible support from you. As i have posted in this topic, i'm 20 yr old guy wanting to learn to ride a cycle now. Last year i could only get to learn to ride a cycle in a straight line. Now, i want to learn to cycle thoroughly. Would be happy if you could help out with some arrangements, which will be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Sam

deepakvrao

Aug 9, 2012, 2:21:47 PM8/9/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
My wife learnt cycling at the age of 45, 3 years ago. It was a struggle for her, as well as for me.

Couple of days ago she did a 21km 1400 meter climb. She has climbed Mt Ventoux last year. It's all possible but needs some dedication. For someone who has never been on a bike as a kid, everything is a learning curve, from starting, balancing, stopping, wheeling the bike etc.

First time she climbed Nandi, she did it without a break, but crashed on the downhill as she just could not get enough leverage on the brake levers.

vivek

Aug 10, 2012, 1:36:58 AM8/10/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
@Doc: Thats really great! Your wife has come a long way after learning. That really gives me confidence to teach my wife to cycle. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Vivek

George Joseph

Aug 10, 2012, 3:00:05 AM8/10/12
to deepakvrao, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Awesome story! Luckily we're never to old to learn if we try right? :)

Climbing mount Ventoux is achievement for anybody!

Btw did you rent a bike or bring your own for that climb?

George Joseph
IN Cell: 9483501169
NA Cell: 847-859-9591

-sent from my iPhone 4S

Arvind Ganesh

Aug 10, 2012, 5:36:18 AM8/10/12
to George Joseph, deepakvrao, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
They took their own bikes. Here's the trip log http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/index.html?o=1&doc_id=8951&v=5a

On the topic - here's a video that might help late learners http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WP3DNPDKxOM

Cheers,
Arvind

deepakvrao

Aug 11, 2012, 2:39:55 PM8/11/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, deepakvrao
Hi George,

It was a part of a 2 week tour, so we had our touring bikes with us.  Arvind has given the link below.

Deepak Rao

Aug 11, 2012, 2:40:57 PM8/11/12
to George Joseph, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

It was a part of a 2 week tour, so we had our touring bikes with us.  Arvind has given the link below.

Regards,

Deepak

deepakvrao

Aug 12, 2012, 3:31:21 AM8/12/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Thing to remember is that everyone who is learning will have falls, so prepare her for this before hand itself. Go easy when you start together, both on distance as well as difficulty levels. I have seen some people really pushing their wives early and then they lose interest.

Mayank Rungta

Feb 2, 2013, 10:48:28 PM2/2/13
to Sukumar, BBC

If we have any effort in helping adults with cycling I know at least half a dozen who might be keen on learning. Not

On Feb 3, 2013 8:00 AM, "Sukumar" <skmr...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi ram,
I am 25 year old .I m not fluent in bycycling..can u pls help me out ?

On Tuesday, 18 October 2011 14:55:41 UTC+5:30, Ram wrote:

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Rohan Kini

Feb 2, 2013, 11:59:09 PM2/2/13
to Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, BBC
yeah .. I too have a couple of friends who are interested in learning.

One trick that I heard of was to remove the pedals and tell the person on the bike to push the bike and learn how to balance for starters. Apparently folks learn fast!

Any other recommendations?

Sukumar, Mayank's friends - how about you guys all meet at MES grounds the coming weekend and give this a shot?
Ill call my friend too. Am sure its more fun in a group :)

~ROhan

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2013, 12:08:06 AM2/3/13
to Rohan Kini, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
I can teach some one to learn riding bikes in less than an hour, my best till date is 20 mnts. I don't know claim, I can teach every body that fast, can demonstrate it. Can come to MES grounds next Sunday, if it is convenient for others (too far places can be a bit constraint for me to commute).

aNIL s kadsur

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Rohan Kini <rohan...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:29:09 +0530
To: Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BBC] Re: Teaching adults how to cycle

Ravindra BR

Feb 3, 2013, 12:51:37 AM2/3/13
to Rohan Kini, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, BBC
ali are you seeing this

ravi

Dante

Feb 3, 2013, 9:36:48 AM2/3/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
What worked for me: Learning on a slight down-slope. Helped focus solely on the balancing part.
Dantes

Rohan Kini

Feb 3, 2013, 11:05:26 AM2/3/13
to anil kadsur, bangaloreBikers, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Sounds good - what time Anil? Ill get my friends to come too :)

~ROhan

27thmartian

Feb 3, 2013, 11:27:52 AM2/3/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, anil kadsur, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Rohan make a video while you are in spectators.. :)

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2013, 11:40:13 AM2/3/13
to Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Better in the morning, may be what is good time for most of the guys.

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Rohan Kini <rohan...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 21:35:26 +0530
To: anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>
Cc: bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>; Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>; Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>

Ram

Feb 4, 2013, 10:33:27 PM2/4/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Rohan Kini, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, anilk...@gmail.com

Sukumar..

sorry for not responding, I had a bad accident in Oct on my motorcycle, and my left hand is of no use at least for the next few months. do let me know how it goes, i know of at least 3 people who will be interested in such an activity.
FWIW, I took my wife to some deserted roads near channasandra, towards chikka tirupati. It was quite important for me to find sparsely populated areas since she was a little self conscious. Added advantage, you may encounter cyclists on those roadds who offer advice/encouragement :-)

From: Rohan Kini <rohan...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 21:35:26 +0530
To: anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>
Cc: bangaloreBikers<bangalore-bik...@googlegroups.com>; Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>; Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>

Rohan Kini

Feb 5, 2013, 4:59:01 AM2/5/13
to Garima Jain, bangaloreBikers, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, anil kadsur
Cool .. my friend is game too. What time Anil?

Garima, incase you dont have a bike you can rent out one - http://www.bumsonthesaddle.com/marketplace/for_rent

Regards,
ROhan

stay in touch:

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Garima Jain <gj...@iihs.ac.in> wrote:
I'm MOST keen to learn how to ride a bike, for years now. I'm 29 and gave this a brief shot a few years back, but failed at it. But I'm convinced I can learn. I'm so happy to find this conversation going, and would love to come at the decided locations and times to be a part.

I don't own a cycle yet, and am looking at either rented / second bikes for now. Any suggestions are most welcome. I live in Sadashivnagar.

Looking forward to learning (really!)

Garima

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2013, 5:06:58 AM2/5/13
to Rohan Kini, Garima Jain, bangaloreBikers, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Rohan,

We will keep in the first half of the day (complete it before 11 am or so...). At the same time open to a time ie is more convenient time for most.

Anil

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Rohan Kini <rohan...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:29:01 +0530
To: Garima Jain<gj...@iihs.ac.in>
Cc: bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>; Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>; Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>; anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 5, 2013, 5:09:36 AM2/5/13
to Rohan Kini, Garima Jain, bangaloreBikers, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, anil kadsur
We can have events where you can come and learn. If there are enough
people, you can just borrow people's bikes too. The ground near BOTS
is a good venue, there is a public ground in JP Nagar 7th phase too.

Rohan Kini

Feb 5, 2013, 5:12:04 AM2/5/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Garima Jain, bangaloreBikers, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, anil kadsur
That would be great - maybe once a month?

ok .. lets keep it one location this time around. Chiddu, you game too?
Anil - 9am - 11am?

Regards,
ROhan

stay in touch:

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2013, 5:14:42 AM2/5/13
to Rohan Kini, Chidambaran Subramanian, Garima Jain, bangaloreBikers, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
9am - 11am? OK

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Rohan Kini <rohan...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:42:04 +0530
To: Chidambaran Subramanian<chi...@gmail.com>
Cc: Garima Jain<gj...@iihs.ac.in>; bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>; Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>; Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>; anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 5, 2013, 5:23:46 AM2/5/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, Rohan Kini, Garima Jain, bangaloreBikers, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Hey no, why multiple times, lets just tag it with the party this weekend.

Anil will teach you how to ride a 14 inch bike.

Chiddu

Ali Poonawala

Feb 5, 2013, 9:53:56 AM2/5/13
to Ravindra BR, Rohan Kini, BBC, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar

Yes Ravi.. I have forwarded it to Fatima.. Just pray someone does not decide it is good time for her to have a baby :)

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 5, 2013, 10:56:53 AM2/5/13
to Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Rohan Kini, BBC, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Let us do it just before our bike party. If we have more women
cyclists, then it will be better. Even better if we have senior folks
who want to learn.We can try and help.

Regards
Chiddu

Ravindra BR

Feb 5, 2013, 12:07:55 PM2/5/13
to Ali Poonawala, Rohan Kini, BBC, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
hahahaha

why notttttt

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2013, 10:29:09 AM2/7/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Rohan Kini, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Reconfirming the date, time and venue, for somone who missed it.

Date: 9th feb 2013
Time: 9 to 11 am
Venue: MES grounds jayanagar

Correct me if I am wrong.

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

Feb 8, 2013, 12:01:21 AM2/8/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Rohan Kini, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Correct me if I am wrong..... Then why do you reconfirm....LOL...
Pradeep Naidu S

vivek

Feb 8, 2013, 12:46:50 AM2/8/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Rohan Kini, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, anilk...@gmail.com
Hi Anil/Rohan,

I also want to teach my wife to ride a bicycle. But my bike is a bit large for her. We would like to come tomorrow so she could start learning. Will there be any bikes of smaller size there? I won't mind renting a bike for a week or so. Any suggestions, ideas?

Regards,
Vivek

Rohan Kini

Feb 8, 2013, 12:55:09 AM2/8/13
to vivek, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, anil kadsur
Thats awesome Vivek,

Dont think Anil will be having any bikes :)
Some bikes are up here for rental - http://www.bumsonthesaddle.com/marketplace/for_rent

Might have to check on the sizing though

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2013, 12:59:02 AM2/8/13
to Rohan Kini, Vivek.kubaji, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
No Rohan don't have bikes.

Vivek, come down, looks like we should be able to manage.

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Rohan Kini <rohan...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 11:25:09 +0530
Cc: bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>; Ali Poonawala<alfa...@gmail.com>; Ravindra BR<ravind...@gmail.com>; Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>; Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>; anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>

Vivek Kubaji

Feb 8, 2013, 1:01:31 AM2/8/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Thanks Rohan/Anil,

Will definitely come down :)

Regards,
Vivek

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 8, 2013, 6:46:23 AM2/8/13
to Vivek Kubaji, anilk...@gmail.com, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Moving this to 8am to 10am. Would be easier for us. However, if there
are enough teachers and learners out there, you can continue. I might
come there with my children and their cycles as well.

Regards
Chiddu

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2013, 6:48:49 AM2/8/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Chiddu,

Perfect, it looks good.

Thank you.

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

Feb 8, 2013, 7:11:43 AM2/8/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Yes informed.

Ali Poonawala

Feb 8, 2013, 9:33:33 AM2/8/13
to anil kadsur, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ravindra BR, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Hi Anil/Rohan/Chiddu and all...

 Fatima ( 50 + ) is making rapid progress, inspite of all my negative comments, with her riding.. she will be there with her little (literally and physically) kid bike for 'more professional' input from you all there !! I can bring a lady bird, with seat fully lowered,  for some one less apprehensive than Fatima !

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2013, 10:05:59 AM2/8/13
to Ali Poonawala, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ravindra BR, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Dr. Ali,

That is wonderful. Look forward for tomorrow.

Anil

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Ali Poonawala <alfa...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:03:33 +0530
To: anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>
Cc: Chidambaran Subramanian<chi...@gmail.com>; Vivek.kubaji<vivek....@gmail.com>; Rohan Kini<rohan...@gmail.com>; bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>; Ravindra BR<ravind...@gmail.com>; Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>; Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>

Mayank Rungta

Feb 8, 2013, 11:31:19 AM2/8/13
to anil kadsur, Sukumar, Chidambaran Subramanian, Ravindra BR, Rohan Kini, Ali Poonawala, Vivek.kubaji, bangaloreBikers

I just realized it will be some challenge for people to get bikes when they can't ride!:)

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2013, 11:36:51 AM2/8/13
to Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, Chidambaran Subramanian, Ravindra BR, Rohan Kini, Ali Poonawala, Vivek.kubaji, bangaloreBikers
Mayank,

Who ever gets the bike, if he/she is new to learning will not be able to ride more than 30 to 40 mnts.

We can request them to give the bike for others, there are few guys will be attending who will be coming there not to learn biking, they can also help.

May be few bikes in BOTS. I don't think it can be an issue.

Anil

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Mayank Rungta <mr....@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 22:01:19 +0530
To: anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>
Cc: Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>; Chidambaran Subramanian<chi...@gmail.com>; Ravindra BR<ravind...@gmail.com>; Rohan Kini<rohan...@gmail.com>; Ali Poonawala<alfa...@gmail.com>; Vivek.kubaji<vivek....@gmail.com>; bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>

Ravindra BR

Feb 8, 2013, 12:20:19 PM2/8/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek Kubaji, anilk...@gmail.com, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
i'll be there with 1 rodeo :), 1 bianchi spillo rubino, 1 rockrider 5.0

one of them will go back whichever you guys don't want

those who want can use the two of them

Ravi

Deepa Mohan

Feb 8, 2013, 1:00:07 PM2/8/13
to Ravindra BR, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek Kubaji, anilk...@gmail.com, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
If such a variety of bikes are going to be available I feel like
coming and pretending I can't ride :))))))

Way to go, guys...I only wish *I* had something like this when I
learnt to ride a cycle at the ripe old age of 28!

Deepa.

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2013, 8:08:55 PM2/8/13
to Ravindra BR, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Ravindra,

That is very nice of you. See there.

Anil

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Ravindra BR <ravind...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 22:50:19 +0530
To: Chidambaran Subramanian<chi...@gmail.com>
Cc: Vivek Kubaji<vivek....@gmail.com>; <anilk...@gmail.com>; Rohan Kini<rohan...@gmail.com>; bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>; Ali Poonawala<alfa...@gmail.com>; Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>; Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>; GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)<ggi-...@googlegroups.com>

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2013, 3:17:32 AM2/9/13
to Deepa Mohan, Ravindra BR, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Guys,

We had a wonderful time.

Rohan, Chiddu (with Vedant and Vaibhav), Dr. Ali and Fatima, Ravindra and Shradda, Pradeep(with his kids), Nikhil, Priya and her friend (sorry I forgot the name) Vivek kubaji and his wife, were made it.

I feel to start off it was a good effort and was worth it.

I thank every one who made it, who supported directly or indirectly. Dr. Ali for the bike. Rohan and Chiddu for initiating it.

Anil

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

Ravindra BR

Feb 9, 2013, 3:26:31 AM2/9/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club, Chidambaran Subramanian, Sukumar, Ali Poonawala, Deepa Mohan, Vivek.kubaji, Mayank Rungta, Rohan Kini

Great work Anil

Vivek Kubaji

Feb 9, 2013, 4:55:21 AM2/9/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club, Chidambaran Subramanian, Sukumar, Ali Poonawala, Ravindra BR, Deepa Mohan, Mayank Rungta, Rohan Kini

Thanks once again Anil. My wife was very happy to be there. I'm sure she'll learn easily now. It's just a matter of practice now.

Mayank Rungta

Feb 9, 2013, 5:05:55 AM2/9/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, Deepa Mohan, Ravindra BR, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Sukumar
Heard great reviews. Missed it! :( Please organize such a workshop again
I am sure there are many more who will benefit from this! :)

--
MAnY thANKs
http://ngopost.org

http://ngopost.posterous.com/relief-for-the-victims-of-demolitions-at-ejip
o__
_> /__
(_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier lyfe and cleaner world! :)
Join the club - http://bangalorebikersclub.com

Arvind Ganesh

Feb 9, 2013, 5:39:31 AM2/9/13
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Great job Anil and others. What was the success rate?
-Arvind

On Saturday 09 February 2013 01:47 PM, anilk...@gmail.com wrote:
Guys,

We had a wonderful time.

Rohan, Chiddu (with Vedant and Vaibhav), Dr. Ali and Fatima, Ravindra and Shradda, Pradeep(with his kids), Nikhil, Priya and her friend (sorry I forgot the name) Vivek kubaji and his wife, were made it.

I feel to start off it was a good effort and was worth it.

I thank every one who made it, who supported directly or indirectly. Dr. Ali for the bike.  Rohan and Chiddu for initiating it.

Anil

Sent on my BlackBerryŽ from Vodafone
Sent on my BlackBerryŽ from Vodafone

________________________________

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2013, 6:36:08 AM2/9/13
to Arvind Ganesh, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Arvind,

3 people came for learning the bike.

1 learnt it (to a great extent, I would say)

1 Vivek's wife (you have read the comment of him)

Fatima. (Dr. Ali's wife) need to spend little more, so far not succeeded, am quite confident of the progress in the coming days.

Anil
Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Arvind Ganesh <arv...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:09:31 +0530
To: Bangalore Bikers Club<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2013, 6:46:56 AM2/9/13
to Arvind Ganesh, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I have the video of the successful result, taken before we left.

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Arvind Ganesh <arv...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:09:31 +0530
To: Bangalore Bikers Club<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>

San Jay

Feb 9, 2013, 9:02:57 AM2/9/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, Deepa Mohan, Ravindra BR, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Congrats to everyone

aNIL S Kadsur Sir another feather in u r cap

Keep going

Replied from my iPhone

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 9, 2013, 10:38:25 AM2/9/13
to San Jay, anilk...@gmail.com, Deepa Mohan, Ravindra BR, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Worth a detailed write-up actually, but am quite exhausted after a trip to Yelahanka today. . But here are the salient features.

1) One man, sorry one handed show pretty much, with a a motley support crew

2) Three learners , one completed successfully and demonstrated a slight uphill climb while negotiating obstacles , as part of the rite of passage

3) All 3 learners were women, the other two have made good progress too.

4) Deepa Mohan will be thrilled with this one. The BSA lady bird seems to be the *choice* of bike for successful learners.

More later, but it was fun. Vedant also graduated to cycling on the road , without my overbearing presence.

Regards
Chiddu

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 9, 2013, 10:42:27 AM2/9/13
to San Jay, anilk...@gmail.com, Deepa Mohan, Ravindra BR, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Most importantly, there were zero falls.

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2013, 10:47:54 AM2/9/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Sanjay Ramaswamy, Deepa Mohan, Ravindra BR, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Oh yah, I wonder now!!!

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Chidambaran Subramanian <chi...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 21:12:27 +0530
To: San Jay<sanja...@gmail.com>
Cc: anilk...@gmail.com<anilk...@gmail.com>; Deepa Mohan<mohan...@gmail.com>; Ravindra BR<ravind...@gmail.com>; Vivek.kubaji<vivek....@gmail.com>; Rohan Kini<rohan...@gmail.com>; bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>; Ali Poonawala<alfa...@gmail.com>; Mayank Rungta<mr....@gmail.com>; Sukumar<skmr...@gmail.com>

Mandakini Agrawal

Feb 9, 2013, 11:36:17 AM2/9/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, Chidambaran Subramanian, Sanjay Ramaswamy, Deepa Mohan, Ravindra BR, Vivek.kubaji, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, Ali Poonawala, Mayank Rungta, Sukumar
Wow, this sounds great. I used to ride bicycle in college but now I forgot. Would love to learn once again with help of you people.

Please help me learn.

Regards,
Mandakini Agrawal

Salman R

Feb 9, 2013, 12:38:45 PM2/9/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you can forget if you've ridden in the past. Might be a little rusty for a while since you've been away for a long time, but just pick up a bicycle a try it on a flat ground, you'll get it back in minutes.

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2013, 10:29:34 PM2/9/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

Here are pics from yesterday event.

Thank you Rohan for the pic.

Anil

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Salman R <salma...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 09:38:45 -0800 (PST)

I don't think you can forget if you've ridden in the past. Might be a little rusty for a while since you've been away for a long time, but just pick up a bicycle a try it on a flat ground, you'll get it back in minutes.

photo 1r.jpg
photo 3.jpg

Rohan Kini

Feb 12, 2013, 12:40:23 AM2/12/13
to anil kadsur, bangaloreBikers
Some more pics from Saturday folks - http://blog.bumsonthesaddle.com/2013/02/12/how-to-ride-a-bicycle-snaps/

We need to run this once again. Anil/Chidu - maybe end of the month?
Maybe we can make this a once a month or once in two month affair?

~ROhan

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 12, 2013, 1:09:50 AM2/12/13
to Rohan Kini, anil kadsur, bangaloreBikers
Let us shoot for once a month, say the 1st Saturday.

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2013, 1:11:09 AM2/12/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers
Looks good!!

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Chidambaran Subramanian <chi...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:39:50 +0530
To: Rohan Kini<rohan...@gmail.com>
Cc: anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>; bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>

anilk...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2013, 2:47:43 AM2/15/13
to bangaloreBikers
Guys,

An FIR about the session....

http://kadsur.blogspot.in/2013/02/how-to-ride-bicycle.html

Please read and feel free to comment

Very truly,

From: Rohan Kini <rohan...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:10:23 +0530
To: anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>
Cc: bangaloreBikers<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>

Rohan Kini

Mar 17, 2013, 6:56:36 AM3/17/13
to anil kadsur, bangaloreBikers
Time for one more?

Regards,
ROhan

Chidambaran Subramanian

Mar 17, 2013, 8:15:54 AM3/17/13
to Rohan Kini, anil kadsur, bangaloreBikers
yes , but we better cordon off the roads this time.

Mayank Rungta

Mar 17, 2013, 8:46:26 AM3/17/13
to Rohan Kini Byke, anil kadsur, BBC

Yes please. Coming weekend would be awesome! :-)

vivek

Mar 18, 2013, 2:18:07 AM3/18/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Rohan Kini Byke, anil kadsur
Can we have it on Sunday? My wife has office on Saturday.

I'm still looking to get a small sized bike to teach my wife to ride. Let me know if anyone has a kids bike equivalent to 13 or 15 sized Mountain bike for sale.

Btw, let me know if I can be helpful in anyway. I'd like to bring my bike if it'd be useful. Its a Cannondale Trail 6 Size M.

There's one service road in HSR Layout which is relatively free and has a good length of slope. Please have a look - https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=12.911963,77.640314&ll=12.911704,77.640362&spn=0.001509,0.002411&num=1&t=m&z=19.

Regards,
Vivek

On Sunday, 17 March 2013 18:16:26 UTC+5:30, Mayank Rungta wrote:

Yes please. Coming weekend would be awesome! :-)

On Mar 17, 2013 4:27 PM, "Rohan Kini" <rohan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Time for one more?

Regards,
ROhan

From: Rohan Kini <rohan...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:10:23 +0530
To: anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>
Message has been deleted

Rohan Kini

Mar 19, 2013, 6:43:20 AM3/19/13
to vivek, bangaloreBikers, anil kadsur
Hey Vivek,

Wanna spearhead it this time and make it happen?

~ROhan

Vivek Kubaji

Mar 19, 2013, 6:48:00 AM3/19/13
to Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, anil kadsur
Sure Rohan, I'd be delighted to. First lets finalize a location?? Hows the one I sent a link to? How convenient would HSR Layout to others?

The only drawback to the location I sent is lack of shade. Its quite open, so a session in the early morning would be appropriate.

Also I am not sure if I can arrange cycles. Anyone can pour in suggestions? I'll try with RR cycles if he has any suitable bikes.

Regards,
Vivek

Rohan Kini

Mar 22, 2013, 7:16:43 AM3/22/13
to Vivek Kubaji, bangaloreBikers, anil kadsur
Shade, slope and a quiet road was what we thought would be good next time :)
Infact we were thinking of putting some cones if possible and blocking traffic on that small road last time around to ensure we dont have any traffic at all.

A playground would also be good!

~ROhan

Arvind Ganesh

Mar 22, 2013, 10:06:12 AM3/22/13
to Rohan Kini, Vivek Kubaji, bangaloreBikers, anil kadsur
A slope is quite useful - that would rule out most playgrounds. Let me know if you guys decide to do this - my son is due for his lesson :)
-Arvind

Vivek Kubaji

Apr 10, 2013, 10:27:46 AM4/10/13
to spiral architect, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Yes. We're planning to have one.

We'll post to the group on the plan soon.

On Apr 10, 2013 7:51 PM, "spiral architect" <subr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there another one of these bike learning sessions planned soon. I would love to join in as a learner. I learnt to cycle 30 years ago and i have not touched a cycle for the last 30 years. Shocking !!!!

I would love to learn again. Please let me know

cheers

On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:55:41 PM UTC+5:30, Ram wrote:

Hi guys,

Being aware of a thread on getting kids on the bike, I'm creating a
new thread for adults. I know of a couple at least who really want to
learn how to ride, but are too embarrassed to try it on our roads, and
rightfully so. We ain't an encouraging lot, and a lot of heckling
happens. Why don't we try to organize a biking camp for adults?

Count me in as the first volunteer, I can scope possible locations for
this as well.

Thanks,
Ram

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Chidambaran Subramanian

Rohan Kini

Apr 10, 2013, 1:25:36 PM4/10/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, spiral architect, bangaloreBikers, Vivek Kubaji
Anyone has cones that can be used to block off the road? Much simpler that way and we wont be really inconveniencing anyone!

~ROhan

chirag singal

Apr 10, 2013, 1:36:49 PM4/10/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Chidambaran Subramanian, spiral architect, Vivek Kubaji
I can try getting cones from my football school. But since, I will be leaving this Sunday, one of you need to go and drop the cones back to St.Johns Medical ground on Monday evening. Tell me the required number ASAP.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Apr 10, 2013, 2:30:46 PM4/10/13
to chirag singal, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, spiral architect, Vivek Kubaji
I can do the dropping. Number of cones --- how do we plan to use them , use a few to block the entrance of the road?

Vivek Kubaji

Apr 11, 2013, 12:54:43 AM4/11/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, chirag singal, spiral architect, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chiddu/Rohan,

We won't be able to job on Saturday. My wife has office. But please carry on. Hopefully we'll join next time.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 6, 2013, 2:04:25 PM6/6/13
to Sreenath GV, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sreenath,

I, at least  intend to continue the exercise. And I am sure the likes of Dr Poonawala, Rao and Anil Kadsur will pitch in as well. Unfortunately , this month and the next will be choc-a-bloc with brevet rides, plus other stuff @ life beckons as well.

Will post in this forum the next time I can do it.

Regards
Chiddu

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Sreenath GV <sreenat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi ,

Are we planning for a similar session sometime soon?
I am interested in joining as a student:)

Regards,
Sreenath

Sreenath GV

Sep 7, 2013, 6:17:24 AM9/7/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Sreenath GV
Hi guys,

Any session up this month?

Thanks,
Sreenath

anil kadsur

Sep 7, 2013, 6:30:22 AM9/7/13
to Sreenath GV, Sharath Chandar
Looks like we can have one session....

Yateesh Kumar

Sep 7, 2013, 6:38:11 AM9/7/13
to anil kadsur, Sharath Chandar, Sreenath GV

Count me as a volunteer. Willing to participate as long as its on any Saturday

anil kadsur

Sep 7, 2013, 6:43:34 AM9/7/13
to Yateesh Kumar, Sharath Chandar, Sreenath GV
15th is BBch, 21st is Mysore ride, 29th is Critical Mass....

I feel 28th is the only day this month and that is saturday looks good.

Vivek Kubaji

Sep 7, 2013, 8:39:42 AM9/7/13
to anil kadsur, Yateesh Kumar, Sharath Chandar, Sreenath GV
And on 28th there is Mysore celebration run ;-)

Regards,
Vivek

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Sep 7, 2013, 12:22:27 PM9/7/13
to Vivek Kubaji, anil kadsur, Yateesh Kumar, Sharath Chandar, Sreenath GV
28th does look good

Yateesh Kumar

Sep 7, 2013, 12:26:53 PM9/7/13
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Sharath Chandar, anil kadsur, Sreenath GV, Vivek Kubaji

How abt 14 th?

anil s kadsur

Sep 7, 2013, 12:31:41 PM9/7/13
to Yateesh Kumar, Chidambaran Subramanian, Sharath Chandar, Sreenath GV, Vivek.kubaji
Isn't it too early?

very truly,

From: Yateesh Kumar <kumar....@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 21:56:53 +0530
To: Chidambaran Subramanian<chi...@gmail.com>
Cc: Sharath Chandar<bangalor...@googlegroups.com>; anil kadsur<anilk...@gmail.com>; Sreenath GV<sreenat...@gmail.com>; Vivek Kubaji<vivek....@gmail.com>

Yateesh Kumar

Sep 7, 2013, 12:43:20 PM9/7/13
to anilk...@gmail.com, Sharath Chandar, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji, Sreenath GV

Me dont think so... On the other hand we have a chance for to sessions in a month

Sreenath GV

Sep 27, 2013, 1:16:34 AM9/27/13
to Yateesh Kumar, anilk...@gmail.com, Sharath Chandar, Chidambaran Subramanian, Vivek.kubaji
Hi ,

Are we meeting tomorrow?

Thanks and Regards,
Sreenath

Sreenath GV

Jun 1, 2014, 12:39:28 AM6/1/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Will we be having any sessions anytime soon?. . .It has been sometime since the last one . .so I guess there will be enough number of people to attend as well. .
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
It is loading more messages.