BTwin Sport 1 - single speed - the most stupid thing I have ever done ;)

Opendro

Apr 3, 2015, 12:58:54 AM4/3/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Frame - From Chiddu.
Fork - From Chiddu.
Rear wheel - From Chiddu.
Brake lever - From Chiddu.
Brake callipers, pads, cables - From Chiddu.
Headset bearing, tube rings - From Chiddu (opened, cleaned, greased and repacked).
Bottom Bracket - From Chiddu (opened, cleaned, greased and repacked).
Pedals - From Chiddu (opened, cleaned, greased and repacked. One side bearing ball replaced).

Chain tensioner : USD 23.47 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GSKOSS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
165 mm tripple crank arm, 5 holes, 130/74 mm BCD : USD 45 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I7ICCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I bought for my road bike tripple crank. Using as single crank for the time being.
Headset top cap 1-1/8": USD 6.51 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J9AFFA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Single ring steel chainring bolts : USD 7.28 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I7REMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Conversion kit Single speed adapter : USD 15 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WRW45O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
SRAM 130mm BCD 39T chain ring : USD 18.61 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YWGWHA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Derailleur handger : Rs. 1100 (http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-42.html)
Pedal bearing balls, one dozen : Rs. 5
Rear hub bearing balls, 18 balls : Rs. 10
Handlebar tape (Decathlon offer) : Rs. 70 (yet to be installed)
Shimano 105 front hub, 36 holes : Rs. 2500
Spokes with nipples 36 : Rs. 950 (approx)

Front rim - reused from a dented (dip towards the center) but corrected with careful rebuild.
Saddle - I had a spare.
Tires - from Chidu

Total cost so far : Rs. 13K so far.

Yet to buy :
A seat post. Current one is removed from my road bike (Rs. 500 I suppose).
Stand.
Brake hood cover, if available at reasonable price. Else, I will simply tape.

I still have a 170mm crank arm from Chiddu, which I plan to put in my MTB which came with 175mm crank arm.

Phew. I spent 1 day, dismantling, cleaning and washing. Spent another half a way reassembling. Spent hours trying to find the right parts online :-D

I will never to this stupid exercise LOL.

Opendro

Apr 3, 2015, 1:02:36 AM4/3/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention that I also have a front wheel with a dip in the rim. I plan to rebuild this to correct the dip as I did earlier. I don't have to change the hub here at least as the cups are still good.

Vishnu Janardhanan S

Apr 7, 2015, 5:30:52 AM4/7/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Amazing.
May i suggest a bull horn handle bar and bar end brake levers?

How is the quality of chain tensioner and single speed converter kit?

Opendro

Apr 7, 2015, 6:05:43 AM4/7/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Chain tensioner is of very high quality. Single speed converter looks like an aluminum and feeble. I would have preferred an steel or alloy.

Chain tensioner cannot be adjusted for alignment. Since I placed the crank in the mid ring position (instead of the small ring or single crank position) of a tripple crank arm, I had to keep the rear cog considerably outward. This didn't go down well with the tensioner. I inserted a few washers to keep the tensioners aligned. Fortunately, the nut for the tensioner to the derailleur hanger is of sufficient length to play around with a good range of washers.

I won't spend on the handle bar and brake levers again :) Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have decided to buy a stand as well since I'm using it for commutes.

Shankar Shastry

Apr 7, 2015, 7:56:58 AM4/7/15
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
What an expensive way to what some would call downgrade a bike :). But since you've already done this, you might as well sell off the shifters and buy a pair of bar end levers and bullhorn bar. You'd actually be making money out of this whole affair than spending. If you are averse to spending more money, you are better off buying reach adjustable chinese cross levers for as less as $3-$4 each and a bullhorn bar would set you back by around $15-20 max. You should be able to recoup much larger amount by selling the drop bar and STIs currently on the bike.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Arvind P

Apr 8, 2015, 8:26:00 AM4/8/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
is this for the next Brevet des Ooty? :)

Opendro

Apr 8, 2015, 11:58:01 AM4/8/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I should attempt the bas one betta first :-)