Need a Bike Suggestion under 15k

Topalle Srinivas Azad

Jul 6, 2016, 10:26:52 AM7/6/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hello everyone... I am looking to buy a new bike under 15k Rupees.
I am 18 y/o, Height 5'10'' and weight 90kg...Purpose is for weight loss.
Please suggest a good bike for me....
I live in Basavangudi... Looking forward to join all of you ppl :P

thanks in advance.

Prashanth Chengi

Jul 6, 2016, 1:10:51 PM7/6/16
to Topalle Srinivas Azad, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Srinivas.

Hopefully others here will be able to suggest you bikes. Regarding weight loss, you must realize that bicycle is a highly inefficient means for losing weight, unless you ride hundreds of kilometers. Biking is highly efficient in terms of energy use, so when you ride a bike, you don't expend a lot of energy. Only way you expend a lot of energy is if you bike very fast or very far or do a lot of climbing (like Nandi hills every week!)
Biking promotes health; it improves blood circulation, improves lung capacity and performance and helps the heart, but purely from a weight loss perspective, you would be disappointed, so don't stop biking after some time, thinking it's useless. Keep at it. Also accompany it with sensible and planned diet, cut out junk food, sugar, beer etc. Then, you'll be able to achieve weight loss.

/Prashanth

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Ashok Kumar S

Jul 6, 2016, 10:37:05 PM7/6/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Topalle Srinivas Azad, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I disagree.  Cycling is one exercise which you can do longer compared to other workouts and is less injury prone. And there are many who came down from 100+ to 60s by cycling. So, I would encourage picking a bicycle. And you can also convert the junk miles on car while commuting to healthy miles. Burn fat and be fit than burn fuel and be fat.

All the best!!!!

Thanks and regards,
Ashok

Sent from my iPhone

rakesh ram

Jul 6, 2016, 11:36:02 PM7/6/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Not sure how much of this can be backed by science but have read a few places that regular cycling will help rather than long rides once in a while. Check this blog post. Personally feel that this could be right.

http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.in/2015/08/bicycling-and-weight-loss.html

-Rakesh

Rishi Rao

Jul 7, 2016, 12:46:09 AM7/7/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Current out-of-shape person speaking. I bike commute to work and do a couple of longer rides a month. Helped immensely in increasing my stamina and leg strength but has done nothing by way of weight loss.

The following points might sound like jargon but bear with me. Calories in lesser than calories out is the only way to lose weight. You need to pair cycling with resistance (weight) training and HIIT or low intensity cardio routines alongwith being on a deficit of 500 calories from your TDEE. https://www.reddit.com/r/fitness is a great place to start your education on the path of fitness. Press on the blue "Read the WIKI" button on the right side and dive into the information put up there.

All the best and here's to a leaner and meaner you!

Prashanth Chengi

Jul 7, 2016, 2:02:29 AM7/7/16
to Ashok Kumar S, Rishi Rao, Topalle Srinivas Azad, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. I agree with whatever you are saying too, about less injury prone, longer workout etc, but you only start burning fat when you start cranking up the miles seriously; like when you do randonneuring brevets of 200 or more kilometers. A small ride of less that 10 km for instance promotes health, but doesn't really burn fat. I know many riders who are very fit and active, but still unable to shed weight. As Rishi Rao notes, it's only possible when calorie intake is less that what you end up spending.  Also, as your body gets used to the demands of biking, you end up spending even fewer calories for the same effort. If you think you are burning a lot of fat by biking, and use that to feel less guilty about eating a pizza for instance, you'll end up gaining even more weight!

/Prashanth

Ashok Kumar S

Jul 7, 2016, 4:16:18 AM7/7/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Rishi Rao, Topalle Srinivas Azad, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. My point was assuming one is not over compensating by eating more, even low intensity, z2 workouts should help in reducing weight.

Thanks and regards,
Ashok

Sent from my iPhone

Topalle Srinivas Azad

Jul 7, 2016, 5:08:34 AM7/7/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Thanks for the tips about weight loss, etc... I go to the gym for cardio too...

both of these together should help along with diet right?

Th main focus was to find a good bicycle :P

I have a couple of options.
VTT Rockrider 300 (Decathlon)
Hercules Alloy series A-75  (or)  A-100
Anything else I am missing in that  price range?

Prashanth Chengi

Jul 7, 2016, 5:15:17 AM7/7/16
to Topalle Srinivas Azad, Bangalore Bikers Club
I have heard many dreadful stories about the Hercules alloy series bikes, but your mileage may vary. Rockrider is a tried and tested abuse-friendly bike which is supposed to be good value for  money.

/Prashanth

Shubhashree N S

Jul 7, 2016, 5:17:36 AM7/7/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Topalle Srinivas Azad, Bangalore Bikers Club
From my personal experience, I second Prashanth's point. I have been regularly cycling 15-20 kms 4-5 days a week from 4 years. From very initial days, there has been stunning boost in the stamina, physical strength and the overall health of the body. It helps you keep yourself very active mentally and physically throughout the day. It also helps in shaping the body. But when it comes to weight loss (though it wasn't my motto), it is very negligible.

I will just say, you just bang on and take up regular cycling. You will not feel like leaving it anytime for the awesome feeling you get, let alone the visible benefits. You can complement it with other activities for weight reduction.

+1 for Rockrider.

Regards,

Shubhashree N S

"The World you see is a reflection of yourself"

rakesh ram

Jul 7, 2016, 6:01:27 AM7/7/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yes. Rockrider 300 is good choice. It is a bit heavy but that will just make you work a bit harder. Drive train is smooth. If you decide to buy it make sure that the assembly people at decathlon does proper job in tuning the derailleurs. Ask them to give demo of all gear shifts and observe carefully that every shift works. Once properly tuned the gears will work without any trouble. It has a slightly aggressive riding position. You might find this little challenging in beginning but with practice upper body strength will build up and this position will become comfortable. I found the stock saddle to be very uncomfortable and stock tyres are also of not great quality. You can change them later. If you plan to ride in rainy weather also don't opt for the plastic mudguards they give. Go for metal mudguards which you can get fitted from local bicycle shops.

-Rakesh

santosh kumar

Jul 7, 2016, 7:24:58 AM7/7/16
to rakesh ram, BBC

Schwinn mesa 2
Montra rock 1.1

Naresh V.

Jul 7, 2016, 8:07:27 AM7/7/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
About exercise and weight loss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTiiz99p9o

Pradeep Naidu

Jul 7, 2016, 2:14:46 PM7/7/16
to Naresh V., Bangalore Bikers Club

You could compare with montra with Rock rider 300.
I don't know how these montra bikes perform..
Any experiences here,, please share.. if it's good, I want to suggest  others who are eager to take up cycling but hesitant because of the high cost..

On 07-Jul-2016 5:37 PM, "Naresh V." <nare...@gmail.com> wrote:
About exercise and weight loss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTiiz99p9o

Sanath Kumar S D

Jul 8, 2016, 3:54:23 AM7/8/16
to Topalle Srinivas Azad, Bangalore Bikers Club

For weight Loss :

Eat Clean and Get Lean. All other things are secondary

--
FB_IMG_1467964194591.jpg
FB_IMG_1467964248578.jpg

GB

Jul 8, 2016, 8:12:55 AM7/8/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
My suggestion would be that you look for a second hand bike. You will be able to get a good second bike around 15-20k than a new bike.

On discussion on weight loss, it depends on how hard you ride. If you ride slowly and your heart rate never rises; you will not lose weight. If you ride hard, you will lose weight.

I normally do cycling about 3-4 days a week- 30 km on weekdays and about 60-90 on weekends.

I have lost about 8 kg from 91 to about 83kg

berkeleydb

Jul 10, 2016, 11:45:59 AM7/10/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Lot of factors go into fitness / weight loss, but speaking broadly, what I tell people is pretty much what Prashanth said... cycling is very efficient, so if you have a specific (time bound) fitness goal in mind, cycling might_noy be the best/fastest way to get there.

If you can do the regimen, a set of exercises at the gym will probably give you better results, sooner. But over a period of manys months/years, it's possible you might stick to cycling more than a gym regimen, if you like the outdoor aspect & variety of cycle rides.

Montra Trance & Firefox Rapide are two nice hybrids you can consider, though with accessories, the cost might be closer to Rs20K. Otherwise you can look for good used bikes.

-{db}.