Do we have a central repository / wiki ?

Alex J V

Jul 10, 2017, 10:02:06 AM7/10/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,

The google groups is fantastic and super valuable, but it is a kind of like a facebook feed. Valuable information is buried in the email threads somewhere. I am assuming someone in this group might have already attempted to consolidate this info into a wiki. If that exists can someone point me to it? I would like to volunteer to contribute.

eg of good community wiki - https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/index

If not, I volunteer to create a wiki as a github page and try and maintain it. Those who are interested can contribute.

I believe a wiki helps because sometimes a feed or a google group can feel like a hamster wheel.

Alex J V
@alexjv89
Recommendations from domain experts - www.highlyreco.com

Opendro

Jul 11, 2017, 1:17:24 AM7/11/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
It is not exactly like facebook. I can go to any date in the past, or search for a tag, or search for posts by a specific individual or search is by and large very efficient if you know the key words.

I don't read reddit.com. May be you can elaborate how it works or elaborate on what you are proposing. It is a bit difficult to visualize for me.

Alex J V

Jul 11, 2017, 2:24:48 AM7/11/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
there are couple of ways that a community interacts. A forum such as google groups or a forum website or core reddit or facebook page is designed to promote discussion. Here people discuss/argue/counter argue/share insights etc.

Then there is the wiki kind of interface. Most popular example of this is wikipedia, where the information is consolidated and maintained in an article format (not in a discussion format). The consolidated information is the crux of the information or the wisdom of the crowd.

Reddit is generally considered equivalent to a forum but you can also enable a wiki inside your reddit community. For example, in the keto community on reddit :
this is the forum - place to discuss - https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
this is the wiki - place to consolidate/accumulate crowd wisdom - https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/index

Each of these assets tends to be more valuable to a certain section of the community
1) Forum - old timers, super active folks interested in cycling and promoting it
2) Wiki - new comers, passive folks who are just personally interested in cycling

If you notice, I fall mostly in category 2, where I am kind of a passive guy who is super interested in cycling personally, but maybe not too interested in converting bangalore into a cycling city or converting as many people into cycling as possible. Encouraging passive guys are important because given enough time, the passive guy will feel like becoming one of the active guys. Now I feel like contributing to the community. And therefore now I start contributing to the discussion. So in a way, I am kind of transitioning from category 2(passive) to category 1(active).

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

Opendro

Jul 11, 2017, 2:31:06 AM7/11/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Ok. I get it now. It is a very good idea. For instance, a single page where I can look up the current prices of all the bikes. People attempted doing it using the threads and it gets lost over time.

Would it be possible inside google group without hosting another content server altogether? Sorry, I'm not really into latest trends of web technology.

Alex J V

Jul 11, 2017, 2:59:21 AM7/11/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
the best that I am aware of google groups does not internally support a wiki.

Instead of spinning up a server, I was thinking we will just creating a gitbook on github - something like this - http://sourabhbajaj.com/mac-setup/ and here is where anyone can edit it - https://github.com/sb2nov/mac-setup . This entire thing can be done for free. We dont have to buy any server or domain, we can host it for free and anyone can contribute.

The only catch here is - in order to contribute, you need to have a basic understanding on git and version control.

Alex

Alex J V
@alexjv89
Recommendations from domain experts - www.highlyreco.com

O p e n d r o

Jul 11, 2017, 3:02:37 AM7/11/17
to Alex J V, Bangalore Bikers Club
I can contribute from next year, i.e. if there are not enough support from others till then.

Alex J V

Jul 11, 2017, 3:08:27 AM7/11/17
to O p e n d r o, Bangalore Bikers Club
cool

Alex J V
@alexjv89
Recommendations from domain experts - www.highlyreco.com

Arvind Ganesh

Jul 12, 2017, 7:06:26 AM7/12/17
to Alex J V, O p e n d r o, Bangalore Bikers Club, Rohan Kini
I recall that BOTS used to maintain a wiki. I do not know it's current status. Copying Rohan.

Regards,
Arvind

berkeleydb

Jul 29, 2017, 1:19:03 PM7/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
My earlier post didn't make it, looks like...

Reddit is a nice option, since it combines the forum aspect of groups like this, plus provides the wiki option (very powerful is done responsibly by the community).

Plus the ability to up/down vote posts is pretty nice (that feeds into the users' karma points, I think). I don't know if one can sort reddit comments based on user karma points, but I think you can sort based on comment votes. So one can focus of the "better" comments for each post.

There is a bikeszone subreddit already (no activity, though). And I created a bangalore_bikers subreddit earlier today. Feel free to use either. Hope it catches on.

Btw, IMO, FB groups do_not come close to the forums like this, in terms of ability to browse/search discussions. Things like FB groups seem to target the "moment". Find them to be pretty pathetic for longer term discussions. Attacthing pics is easier on FB, I suppose. :)

-{db}.

Karthick Gururaj

Jul 30, 2017, 11:20:52 PM7/30/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Yes, I agree - reddit is great platform for discussions!

The practical problem is in getting the existing members migrating from an email-based discussion thread to reddit.

- Karthick

Alex J V

Jul 31, 2017, 2:12:58 AM7/31/17
to Karthick Gururaj, berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Yeah, moving people might be super challenging.

Alex

Alex J V
@alexjv89
Recommendations from domain experts - www.highlyreco.com

berkeleydb

Jul 31, 2017, 10:28:46 AM7/31/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
It's not about moving users over, atleast not in the sense of "cutting over".

Whoever want to use/try reddit, can start doing so. If it catches on, then over time you can expect more & more users to transition. It could be while (assuming it does catch with this community).

There will be folks using reddit already for various other discussions, so we can expect them to be the early users. For those who have_not used reddit at all, it could take time.

I suppose we could post links to particularly active discussions from there, to here, once in a while. To help users here be aware of the activity there.

Like I said, subreddit bikeszone has been there for some time, bit no activity. bangalore-bikers google group is a tighter group, I suppose, so hopefully bangalore_bikes subreddit will catch on, if not bikeszone. :)

-{db}.