Mysore - Gundalpete - Wayanad

Jishnu

Jan 22, 2016, 1:11:02 AM1/22/16
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
Planning to ride mysore - Gundalpete - Wayanad (Sulthan Batheri). Anyone tried this route? Is cycle allowed in the forest? Is it safe?

sunil kumar

Jan 22, 2016, 6:56:58 AM1/22/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
We cycled in month of October last year starting from Gundlupete to Ooty covering Sultan Bathery and Masinagudi and were not stopped by any forest officers.Maybe it was our lucky day.But i have heard that  forest officers asking cyclists to board the support vehicle or any other motor vehicles if they observe any wildlife activity in the vicinity.So be prepared for that.Also since this route traverses through national park it is common to see Elephant heards,deer and if your lucky you might see a tiger crossing the road.

Silvesterrajpaul Josephjayapaul

Jan 22, 2016, 7:01:15 AM1/22/16
to sunil kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club

It is allowed Jishnu, no worries ,

Forest check post opening and closing time 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM..

Enjoy the Ride

Regards,
Silvester

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Jishnu

Jan 22, 2016, 8:00:51 AM1/22/16
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Sunil and Joseph.

Any recommendations on place to stay in Gundalpet?

sunil kumar

Jan 22, 2016, 10:45:57 PM1/22/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
We stayed in Hotel Misty rock.

berkeleydb

Jan 24, 2016, 5:29:03 PM1/24/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I rode through Waynad wildlife sanctuary (Gudlupet-SultanBathery) in Aug-2013. Cyclists were allowed back then; hopefully they still are.

The forest guard at the entrance however had tried to dissuade me from proceeding by saying cyclists were not allowed. I chatted with him for some time & said I had done rides through various wildlife sanctuaries, & also said I had ridden through Waynad forest sanctuary in the past. Once the guard felt I was not just doing the ride on a whim, and was a serious cyclist, he said cyclists were allowed, though the guards try to dissuade them. He asked me to be careful, but let me proceed.

It's a very good stretch; nice rolling terrain, & there is also a nice temple complex along the way.

Have a nice & safe ride.

-{db}.

Pradeep Naidu

Jan 25, 2016, 3:11:35 AM1/25/16
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club

Yes agree with Berkeley.
But be very careful of elephants. They are scary.
On a rough day, they might chase you..

Jishnu

Jan 25, 2016, 9:46:36 AM1/25/16
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Hey everyone, thanks for the info.

I finished my ride few hours back. I took Gudallur route since it can save 40kms in my ride.

Bandipur section (Karnataka) of the forest and the road was the best and well maintained. Muthumalai section (Tamil nadu) road was in really bad condition.

At Tamil nadu border, a police officer stopped me and said cycling is not allowed. After talking to him for 10 mins, he asked for 100₹. I tried to bargain, but failed.

Nadungani - Vazhikadavu descent was awesome. ~900 m to ~50m descent!

Here are the strava links.
Day 1, 200kms:  https://www.strava.com/activities/477274655
Day 2, 170kms: https://www.strava.com/activities/478143456

berkeleydb

Jan 26, 2016, 3:48:23 PM1/26/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Glad to know your ride went well. Thanks for sharing the Strava links of your ride... awesome. You covered a lot of distance, especially on day1 with quite a few climbs.

-{db}.

satya prakash Panigrahi

Jan 28, 2016, 1:36:49 AM1/28/16
to Jishnu, BBC
You are lucky Jishnu,
Last year Feb while cycling to Ooty from Gundlupete I was stopped at the Entry of Mudlumalai Forest Range. I tried so hard to speak with the guards but they simply didn't listen. Each and every time I tried to explain them they simply pointed to the Huge Board where it was displayed "Cycling and Walking not allowed" :P . Poor me, they didn't even ask for a Bribe. I had to wait for almost 1 hour when finally the Forest Jeep arrived. The Jeep dropped me at Masinagudi from where I continued my climb towards Ooty.
I think I was alone plus I didn't know the local language, maybe that's why.

P.S- The guards where very nice though, they served me some chai-paani and were really curious about long distance cycling  :P

satya prakash Panigrahi

Jan 28, 2016, 1:41:34 AM1/28/16
to Jishnu, BBC
I was checking out your Day 1 ride. Next time you want to cycle to Gundlupet, try the  Bangalore - Kanakpura - Malavalli - T.Narasipura -  Gundlupet route. These route is very scenic plus hardly any traffic.

Opendro

Jan 28, 2016, 3:51:26 AM1/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
The guards should allow an ITT on the Kalhatti climb and whoever averages 12 kmph should be allowed to ride :-p

satya prakash Panigrahi

Jan 28, 2016, 4:05:00 AM1/28/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
ITT means? Sorry I am not aware of it  :D

O p e n d r o

Jan 28, 2016, 4:07:10 AM1/28/16
to satya prakash Panigrahi, Bangalore Bikers Club
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_time_trial

It simply means cover a given distance at the quickest time you can - alone.

satya prakash Panigrahi

Jan 28, 2016, 4:08:12 AM1/28/16
to O p e n d r o, Bangalore Bikers Club
Oops, ok ok, in that sense I am an extremely slow cyclist   :D

Jishnu

Jan 28, 2016, 9:41:34 AM1/28/16
to satya prakash Panigrahi, BBC
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:11 PM, satya prakash Panigrahi
<cooo.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was checking out your Day 1 ride. Next time you want to cycle to
> Gundlupet, try the Bangalore - Kanakpura - Malavalli - T.Narasipura -
> Gundlupet route. These route is very scenic plus hardly any traffic.

Thanks. Will try that route next time.

> I think I was alone plus I didn't know the local language, maybe that's
> why.

I was alone too.

--
Regards,
Jishnu

http://j15h.nu

Jishnu

Jan 28, 2016, 9:43:46 AM1/28/16
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 2:18 AM, berkeleydb <dha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Glad to know your ride went well. Thanks for sharing the Strava links of your ride... awesome. You covered a lot of distance, especially on day1 with quite a few climbs.

Actually elevation gain was more on the second day. After 2'o clock,
in Kerala, temperature raised to 35 degree. Climbs at that
temperature, without shades near road was the most difficult part.