Odometer suggestion required

Ashok Sharma

Nov 3, 2017, 1:28:23 PM11/3/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi friends
     Could you please suggest a good odometer to measeure the distance i travel... i dont want to go for costly gadgets as i park my cycle in public places mostly

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 3, 2017, 5:13:16 PM11/3/17
to Ashok Sharma, Bangalore Bikers Club
The cheapest units are wired units, with a magnet based sensor that goes on the wheel, and the designs are such that the head-unit (the display) is fixed to the handlebar with zip ties, that is, it's not designed to be removed often.

Now, though the head-unit is nearly useless without the sensor and magnets, most potential thieves don't know that, and they end up stealing them anyway, as zip ties are not really theft prevention devices.  A wireless head unit like a simple Garmin Edge 200,  with a quarter-turn mount, is easy to install,  easy to slip on and off the bike, and super easy to use. The mounts themselves aren't attractive to theives, and if you have more than one bike,  you can install extra mounts on the other bikes and use the same unit across the bikes, not something you can do with the cheaper wired units unless you buy extra sensor and cable sets, which is nearly as bad as buying the whole set again. You can even use the recorded activity files for uploading to strava etc.

/Prashanth

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

santosh kumar

Nov 3, 2017, 9:13:45 PM11/3/17
to Prashanth Chengi, Ashok Sharma, BBC
I've been using the decathlon count 8 cyclo comp. It is wireless. Costing 1.5k at that time. I'm not sure if it is still available. Been 4 years now. I leave my cycle locked in public places quiet often. I remove the handlebar mounted part with the quick release when I plan to leave the bike longer than 15 min. For shorter parking time, I don't bother to remove it.

ನವೆಂ 4, 2017 02:43 ಪೂರ್ವಾಹ್ನ ರಂದು, "Prashanth Chengi" <prashant...@gmail.com> ಅವರು ಬರೆದಿದ್ದಾರೆ:

Opendro

Nov 6, 2017, 4:19:26 AM11/6/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I used this http://www.dx.com/p/1-5-lcd-electronic-bicycle-speedometer-1xcr2032-101777#.WgAoWmiCyUk for many long rides. Its backlight is just awesome for night rides, specially chasing brevet time controls :-)