1000

suman paul

Jun 22, 2016, 10:07:56 PM6/22/16
to Cycle Club

It's '1000' time of the year !

Bangalore Belgaum Bangalore 1000 kms brevet.

Flag off at 4 pm today from silkboard CCD.

Please come over to cheer up the riders at start line.

thank you & regards

suman

+ 91 9886300685

Sanath Kumar S D

Jun 22, 2016, 11:48:07 PM6/22/16
to suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club

Silk Board CCD?

Is not M G Road CCD?

Thanks - Sanath

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

suman paul

Jun 22, 2016, 11:55:51 PM6/22/16
to Sanath Kumar S D, Bangalore Bikers Club

No silkboard CCD.

thank you & regards

suman

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2016, 1:14:33 AM6/23/16
to suman paul, Sanath Kumar S D, Bangalore Bikers Club
At Silk Board Pizza Hut. (Same point as the 1200 start)

Chiddu

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jun 23, 2016, 2:19:25 AM6/23/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Guys then what is the change in route ? How is it compensated ? Or are we riding that additional distance too ?

Sanath Kumar S D

Jun 23, 2016, 6:31:06 AM6/23/16
to Chidambaran Subramanian, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Chiddu,

It is mentioned as MG Road, CCD. Please have a look.

Inline image 1

Thanks and Regards,

Sanath Kumar S D
--
Regards,

Sanath
+ 91 988 019 4896

suman paul

Jun 23, 2016, 6:38:16 AM6/23/16
to Sanath Kumar S D, Chidambaran Subramanian, Bangalore Bikers Club

Two bravehearts have started the ride. Mohan & Sai will be braving the course. All the best folks.

image1.jpeg

thank you & regards

suman

On 23-Jun-2016, at 4:00 PM, Sanath Kumar S D <sdsana...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Chiddu,

It is mentioned as MG Road, CCD. Please have a look.

<image.png>

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2016, 8:52:12 AM6/23/16
to suman paul, Sanath Kumar S D, Bangalore Bikers Club
My bad, I updated the cue sheet, but forgot to update Brevet Mgr.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2016, 12:38:13 PM6/23/16
to suman paul, Sanath Kumar S D, Bangalore Bikers Club
God speed and good luck to the riders.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2016, 7:20:49 PM6/23/16
to sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club

Sayi reached Chtradurga an hour back.Am presuming they are riding together

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2016, 7:27:40 PM6/23/16
to sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club

They are together

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 24, 2016, 1:56:53 AM6/24/16
to sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club
Got a msg that they were near Ranebennur half an hour back, having breakfast.

Regards
Chiddu

suman paul

Jun 24, 2016, 2:13:15 AM6/24/16
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Sanath Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club

They are making good time to combat the wind tunnel.

thank you & regards

suman

On 24-Jun-2016, at 11:26 AM, Chidambaran Subramanian <chi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Got a msg that they were near Ranebennur half an hour back, having breakfast.

Regards
Chiddu
On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 4:57 AM, Chidambaran Subramanian <chi...@gmail.com> wrote:

They are together

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 4:05 PM, suman paul <suma...@me.com> wrote:

Two bravehearts have started the ride. Mohan & Sai will be braving the course. All the best folks.

Pradeep Naidu

Jun 24, 2016, 6:14:25 AM6/24/16
to suman paul, chiddu, Sanath Kumar S D, Bangalore Bikers Club

Two riders??!!!!

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 24, 2016, 7:38:56 AM6/24/16
to Pradeep Naidu, suman paul, Sanath Kumar S D, Bangalore Bikers Club
Mohan has quit at km 360. Deadly head and cross winds and drizzling rain. -- says no energy left.
Sayi is riding alone

So one rider left. So 100% finish unlikely this year too.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 24, 2016, 10:20:50 AM6/24/16
to sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club

Mohan quit. Sayi has crossed Hubli on time. Belgaum awaits. He needs to push

berkeleydb

Jun 24, 2016, 3:25:05 PM6/24/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow... hope Sayi is still pushing on.  Best wishes.

Sorry to know that Mohan quit.  Tough.

-{db}.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 24, 2016, 4:34:54 PM6/24/16
to sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club

He has reached Belgaum on time

Ali Poonawala

Jun 24, 2016, 11:36:26 PM6/24/16
to Chidambaran Subramanian, suman paul, Sanath Kumar S D, Bangalore Bikers Club

Great going..!
Very commendable for a lone warrior.
I suppose the tracking of American  races has led to exhaustion on part of members...not leaving enough time to cheer for our brevet riders..
Bar is being set higher all the time !!

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2016, 1:24:27 AM6/25/16
to sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club

Reached Hubli on the way back as well. Taking rest I believe

Parag

Jun 25, 2016, 5:19:28 AM6/25/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, suma...@me.com, sdsana...@gmail.com
Very gutsy ride for Sayi.
The 1000 route in the June series requires a lot of courage to even start off !
Hoping the tailwinds enable him to have a nice picnic ride on the way back.
PS: Last few days I am not getting any digest mails from my googlegrous, I need to login to the groups page to access the posts. Anyone else facing this issue ?

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2016, 9:09:16 AM6/25/16
to Parag, Bangalore Bikers Club, sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar
He sent me a SMS saying that he's done some 14 brevets this year, and in this one he's experiencing all of them at once.

Prashanth Chengi

Jun 25, 2016, 4:26:45 PM6/25/16
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Parag, Bangalore Bikers Club, sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar
14 brevets this year! Wow.. that's quite some mileage right there! Guess he's ready for anything that nature/circumstances can throw at him, but I wish him kind winds and nice weather though, for the rest of his ride!

/Prashanth

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2016, 10:56:22 PM6/25/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Parag, Bangalore Bikers Club, sumanpaul, Sanath Kumar
He'll probably be there at the end control sometime in the evening.

Do we have anyone willing to volunteer to receive him at the end control (CCD, Chikkabanavara ?)

We have him+ Ashok + 4 200 riders left in the fray. They all are likely to arrive only after 3 pm.

Regards
Chiddu
9880763 nine fore won

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 26, 2016, 4:06:44 AM6/26/16
to Parag Patankar, Sanath Kumar, sumanpaul, Bangalore Bikers Club

They re expected at end control around 3

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 26, 2016, 8:38:02 AM6/26/16
to Parag Patankar, Sanath Kumar, sumanpaul, Bangalore Bikers Club
Ashok finished around 3:10 or so , Sayi around 4 pm. Unfortunately there was no hero's welcome as I was too exhausted from my day activities to make a trip to the continent of Hesarghatta. I had dozed off when he called me to let me know he has finished.

Mudit is done with 200 as well. 3 more 200 finishers expected.

Regards
Chiddu

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jun 27, 2016, 2:07:02 AM6/27/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, suma...@me.com
Hello All,

I'm now good. A bit more awake from partially awake state. My fingers are still hesitating to join together for all the pressure I have put on them past few days.

I'm not sure how many of you would believe but ,if this group is not there, I'm still not sure of my outcome in this brevet. I'm so honoured to have my name tracked here. He he, only servers in office would know amount of time I spent reading archives and discussions on this event, I never got bored reading them again and again and dreamed that one day my name should be here as this became hall of fame for my cycling world.

I decided that I will take part in this event in when calendar is released.. I also wanted to finish 6 SR's in a single calendar year. Along with them I planned to do 4 X 4 digit brevets. ( Chennai 1000, belgaum 1000, ACP 1200 in Banglore and finally Bliss) . All of them just to make sure that I stand at end point of Bliss in the hills. Yeah, you never know how one event can matter a lot and can make one very obsessed. 6 SR's are 24 events and from November I'm almost riding every week.

I finished 21 brevets before taking part in this event. Some them being very challenging. Not to levels of Anchetti 200 or Ranebennuer 600 . he he but yeah they too are difficult. Mumbai- Mahablaeshwar- Mumbai 600 is one of brevets which instilled a lot of confidence in me. I finished it one hour late, but climbing five ghats over 600 km boosted my confidence levels. ( Unlike bliss, there is luckily no fear of Elephants there , he he) . For me 4 X 600 and a 300 is pending to achieve 6 sr's.  I'm not sure why I exactly wanted to do that. Probably, after I got some sense, I found something which I like very much. I wanted to see how far I can go in what I'm very passionate about. Since a limit will help to plan better and 5 SR''s in a year is previous highest , I choose 6 SR"s as my target.

So every time I'm  in a brevet all I would think is facing winds after Chitradurga or being at Periya forest all alone.

While, Opendro's blog helped me prepare technically, Chiddu's narrations helped me prepare mentally. His solo explorations to Kalhatti etc, made me ride in the very scary Valparai- Athirapally route all alone.  it helped me get over fear.

Google some how redirected me to Parag's blog on first Anchetti ride. Paraginations as far as I remember . It made me very desperate for Anchetti Climb. Thanks to Anil Kadsur, who came along with me. On that very hot day, climbs never ended till we reached Hosur. They are forever. That ride helped me to get over the feeling that climbs are there till Belgaum.

We never know how a post by us can inspire someone at a later time. All my strength, I believe is just of power of words and the intensity with which I  plant them in mind.

Also I read Comfortably numb- ride post by Vignesh, which helped me to observe agriculture and farmers instead of just staring at green all the time.

So thanks for this group, thanks for all the discussions.

Anyone, even if you go for a small ride please post it here. You never know whom it is going to inspire and make that small very very big,

I have some concerns over organising, which I will post later but once again I'm very much thankful to you guys for not cancelling event, without which a dream of 7 months would have been shattered and would have created a lot of negative impact on me.

Ashok Kumar S

Jun 27, 2016, 2:41:30 AM6/27/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, Bangalore Bikers Club, suma...@me.com
Wow!!!

Thanks and regards,
Ashok

Sent from my iPhone

Macks Ningombam

Jun 27, 2016, 2:46:43 AM6/27/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, Bangalore Bikers Club, suman paul
Wow. Sayi, very well ridden!!

Congratulations on your just concluded 1000 and all the best on your remaining rides to set the 6 SRs in a season record.
You can do it and you will do it.

Your post too will inspire quite a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Prashanth Chengi

Jun 27, 2016, 3:15:38 AM6/27/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing your experience, Sayi! I think this community is fueled by the enthusiasm and experiences of each and every one of us here, and the sum is so much greater than the individual components that go into it.  Just like you derive encouragement out of it, the rest of us derive inspiration from exploits by those like you. Take a bow!

I restarted biking in 2013, after a multi-year hiatus and started doing longer rides in 2014, with a fully-supported event called Vätternrundan 300 km, about which I'll write more sometime, particularly about the logistics side of it.
I owe it to this group, for my introduction to randonneuring. I had not even heard the term before I saw it being discussed here. I had my first ever taste of a randonneuring ride with the Anchetti 200 :D Yes, that was my initiation! I completed the ride, but didn't make the cut-off times.  What it did however was to really excite me about these self-supported rides. I tasted success in the 200 and 300 brevets subsequently, last year. This year, I'm aiming for my first ever SR. Only the 600 remains now, and I'm going to make my second attempt at it on 2nd July. My first attempt, last month, ended after 455 km in 26 hrs, due to an upset stomach. I hope to be able to complete the ride on the 2nd successfully.. and share it with you all!

Thanks!
/Prashanth

Pradeep Naidu

Jun 27, 2016, 5:37:15 AM6/27/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Bangalore Bikers Club, Sayi RamaKrishna

Sayi..
Congratulations on the ride man.. Hats off to you..

I'm very eager to hear more from you...

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jul 5, 2016, 3:25:16 AM7/5/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, suma...@me.com
Thank you all.

I have posted my first 400 kms of experiences here. Just didn't want to copy paste text here, but thought about those places where FB access is restricted. hence posting it once again here.

You can anyway click below link for some pictures.

1000 : A journey of self realisation :
Part-1 : Bangalore - Hubli : 400 Kms : The emotional roller coaster.
___________________________________

As I got into train,my mind is constantly thinking about winds, winds and just winds.

I know, if there are no mechanical failures in bike, irrespective of timings I will finish the ride. But I have been dreaming past eight months to be at finish line within time. If I do not finish, all those dreams will be shattered and I have to spend one more year dreaming to ride in this route. I heard a lot about the power of winds and troubles sudden climbs can put you to and rain to top it. Just like taming a wild horse, riding in difficult routes will also be immensely satisfying,I want to enjoy that feeling.

As, I mentioned in previous 1000 status that Mohan has a major share in this ride.I rode a 400 just four days ago before start of event,so I requested Mohan to let my bike stay at his place. So after getting down from train, I went to his home and refreshed.
Didi (Mohan's wife), treated me very well with lot of food in Breakfast and lunch. Truly, food made with any mother's hand have secret ingredients called love and affection added in that by default. That food will add extra energy to body. The sad feeling that I cannot have food made by my mother before any brevet was eased off with that lunch.

There was sudden change in start point and I was not ready for it. Cooled myself with thumping sounds from ‪#‎neruppuda‬. Mohan and myself rode till start point (23km). Shocked to learn that it that only two of us that are going to ride whole 1000km. This is one of worst case scenario I assumed and was alright with it.

Weather was ideal and it favoured cycling till Tumkur, after which it rained heavily. We took small breaks wherever necessary. Some headwinds welcomed us throughout which turned out terrible at Chitradurga, even the climbing. Only thing I told myself is that I will descend all of this in return after riding 600 more kilometres approximately.

As a new dawn appeared, my body and mind became fresh but winds were relentless.They were testing us. It was confusing as scenery is beautiful all along.Everything along the road is placed very artistically as if someone constructed whole NH4 here. They were a good distraction from those winds. Took many breaks in name of breakfast and refreshments.

Life became miserable after we crossed Ranebennur. The winds became more furious. They never wanted us to ride. All we had to do is put our heads down accept them to move ahead. Even now the scene around is very beautiful. Most of the stretch I saw only fields and farmers. It was a delight to see ox, guided by farmers, ploughing the fields. I couldn't make out what is being planted or grown, but to eyes it is a feast. The colour of sand is also very different. Writing about them now, I just wanted to go there once again.Hills in any direction I see, green in anyside my head turns. The winds furious on bikes turned to pleasant kiss whenever I got off saddle. It feels like a tight hug from loved one,every time as I start to get back on saddle. I enjoyed this part of fun from winds.

As I had a heavy breakfast, I was not feeling hungry.But Mohan, wanted to have a food break. As I didn't feel like stopping, he continued riding with me . A terrible mistake from both of us. I could have stopped but was worried about control timing at Hubli, he didn't stop for not disturbing rhythm of ride. I feel guilty even now, for not stopping but it was life a brevet rider and out of my control. I went ahead fast to see if there are any hotels, but I could see only fields and trees.We decided to part our ways concluding that he will catch up with me at Hubli. Now, I emotionally I have hit ground zero as I'm all alone.

Few kilometres later after crossing Bankapur toll, winds were having a party with me. It became terrible to ride and then it started raining. Vehicles are splashing water all over me. I was blind and deaf for a moment. Then crazy buses pushed me off the roads. I saw wind mills happily rotating on other side. It was all climbing and there is no descent. Suddenly, the strap of my floaters was snapped making it difficult to ride. Bolt of my saddle clamp was loose in last 400, I adjusted seat to wrong height due to which knees started paining. I then cried. Cried like a small boy, whose toy was took away by much stout kid. That stout kid is wind here. I shouted loudly, with no one to care, I wanted to stop riding and take a bus back to Bangalore, I do not remember the last time I cried.

As I'm riding and crying, I reached closer to Hubli. I saw that roads are dry, terrain rolled again showing some descents, and winds are reduced due to buildings on both sides. I wondered if that trauma I have been is just a training from nature. Anyway I made it to Hubli happily, with 40 minutes to spare. Had a quick food break . I learnt here that Mohan has quit the ride. It has hit my mind too damn hard. I couldn't take it very lightly at all. Jins Paul, my friend called me and supported me morally and mentally. Warned me about single lane stretch till Dharwad and wished me luck.

Tears rolled from my eyes again. I also feared about handling dogs all alone. ( luckily none bothered till this point). I brought a bread loaf as back up food and resumed my emotional roller coaster ride to Belgaum.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 5, 2016, 5:20:57 AM7/5/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, Bangalore Bikers Club, sumanpaul
Good write up .

Prashanth Chengi

Jul 5, 2016, 5:36:30 AM7/5/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Were you guys just riding together, or were you taking turns at drafting? When you assist each other, you can really defeat the wind and pull up the averages.  Riding with a friend brings a lot of advantages (facing wind, adversity etc), but also doubles the likelyhood of stoppages due to mechanical issues, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantage, unless the person is totally out of shape or far too fit for you to be able to effectively keep up with.

/Prashanth

Aravind M S

Jul 5, 2016, 6:08:37 AM7/5/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, Bangalore Bikers Club, suman paul
Very nice write up Sayi. Quite emotional.

Opendro

Jul 6, 2016, 1:11:26 AM7/6/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hearty congratulations Sayi. I have been trying to catch up some of the posts here. Awesome feat. Belgaum 1000k in June is always special. Hats off to you for not losing heart in spite of knowing that you are alone. It reminds me of my Kolhapur. Even there, I had Srini who missed control time but continuing to ride. So, I was not alone technically. Yours is real lonely ride. And happy to know that you made it safely.

Reading your targets and number of brevets you have done so far, my head is going buffer overflow! Phew!

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jul 6, 2016, 2:50:16 AM7/6/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, suma...@me.com
Prasanth : When I used to ride MTB, myself and Moahn used to go at same speeds and were able to finish few brevets like that, but here I got a roadie and he is on MTB. Though we planned to draft behind each other, many a times, my slowest speed was faster than what he was able to ride and we couldn't sync up properly. Morally and metally, yeah it is quite advantageous to have a co rider who is also a dear friend, but I observed that bikes does also make difference.

Aravind : Thank you.

Opendro : Thanks a lot. Very glad to hear from you. Of course, I read that Kolhapur blog and yeah, it kind of helped me go through the route virtually which helped me to gain confidence amidst of all that chaos in mind. After reading that I even carried a lube oil and brushes for cleaning bike if mud accumulates in bike. What I missed is experimenting with a poncho, which is still in transit from China :P (Ordered in  ali express). Even, I maintained nearly low pressure in the ride, which left me with "0" punctures.

Riding alone was a challenge,but yeah I so desperately wanted to finish this ride, that all I could bear that all emotional stress.

He he, my targets, they all started at bliss and will stop at Bliss again.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1000 : A journey of self realisation :

Part-2 : Hubli- Belgaum- Hubli : 200 Kms : The semi conscious ride.
___________________________________

I forgot to mention two things in previous part.

1. As soon as I reached Hubli, my eyes searched for a footwear shop, but control point is luckily is beside a bus stand which seems to be a market area. Just beside corporation bank atm, there are cobbler shops lined up. I got my floaters stitched there.

2. My rear wheel spokes used to slice the crosswinds and re direct them to my calf's. They used be small and gentle air streams and was fun all along.

It was dark and gloomy as I headed towards Belgaum. There was pretty decent time to reach there, 90 odd km's in 6 hours. That's what I thought. But as soon as I left Hubli, I have shifted to semi conscious state. After not sleeping for 420 Kms and around 28 hours, my eyes wanted to have rest. Sadly I couldn't afford a power nap as I do not have complete idea of elevation till Belgaum. The war between mind and body started. I'm stopping very frequently to wash my face. Sometimes, I tried to keep myself awake by chewing honey straws Mohan gave me. Chewing gum was of no help. Sometimes my speed was as slow as a snail, and when I realised this, I used to maintain a very good pace even in climbs. I loved sprinting on downhills. Wondered if I speed would have crossed 50kmph.

I felt very happy to see wide roads again, after Dharwad. As Strava stopped working, milestones were my only resort to check distance. Meanwhile, in this semi conscious state, with the effect of following RAAM, my mind divided me into three guys. One guy used to look at distance, one warns me about sleep and other pushes me to ride hard and fast. I realised all of this, only after I was completely awake at Belgaum. Funny things mind does when sleep is lost. The only warning I got before event from my Fiancee is not to sleep ride, even if it means a DNF. Somehow, it was very strongly registered in mind and it was almost a reflex action to apply brakes whenever eyes were about to close. I washed face and continued every time it happened. When it is uncontrollable , I just used to push up the climbs till I'm out of breath. It sorted of worked.

From Cue Sheet, I will be around 490 kms if I cross a toll booth. I have around 20 kms left and 1.5 hours to cover that distance. I thought it is going to be easy from now, but this is a brevet full of challenges. More climbs started to show up and there were literally two hills to climb to reach control point. It is usually advantage to climb in dark, as we do not know exact height, but I could see all the trucks and other vehicles descending from heaven. It is literally so high. With a nearly neck to neck cut off and seeing the height my mind gave up instantly. I then remembered all the struggle I faced to reach here, also I remembered wishes of everyone and most importantly I remembered video of Major Sirnivas riding in RAAM, posted just before event. He said he has a hulk inside him waiting to come out. That struck me like a thunder bolt and I sprinted like a mad crazy guy.

I reached the top, but then there is another gradual climb till I enter the city. Managed to complete it. Following the cue sheet , I'm in the right direction. I checked in google maps just to confirm the location and rode till control point. I reached there with 15 minutes to spare. I got hopes that I will finish the ride in time.

The ATM's shutter was half down, so I clicked pictures of it first. Then I went inside and collected slip. All this while I'm in fear remembering the incident from Opendro's blog where police mistook riders for some thieves, Now, I'm alone and with not even knowing broken Kananda, I wondered how I would manage if I face such a situation. Luckily I'm fine, ATM guard shared water available with him and wished me luck.

When I took the service road to enter back the highway again, a pack of dogs started barking at me loudly and didn't allow me to go ahead. I had to climb the highway with bike to escape from them.

I refilled air in tires, refreshed for five minutes and started again, but I was terribly sleepy and exhausted from all the climbing. So I stopped a place where street lights are there ,hugged my bike and slept for ten minutes. It was all a semi conscious journey back to Hubli.

Stopped for many tea breaks, five minute power naps, but nothing worked until it is dawned.As light appeared, I was confused if I have enough time to reach back or not. It was confusing as I lost count of miles and even mile stones appeared confusing. I gave up my hopes when I saw climbs at Dharwad. I pushed myself. I remembered, why I am doing all this. It gave me energy to push. I'm filled with ecstasy as I saw the turn to Airport road. I rode happily from there and reached control with twenty minutes to spare.

All this while, I had no food. Yeah, I rode nearly 200 kms without food. Excitement and fear can drive you crazy. Also this is my first nearly sleepless 600 km. I had pulao and Kesar bath X 2 each in Darshan hotel. There is no gap to cross the road, so I lifted bike to go to other side of road , took a room.

I cleaned my bike from all the muck and dust. Oiled it to get it rolled for last 400 kms. I slept for nearly 1 hr 45 minutes,took bath and started again to Chitradurga.

Jayaprakash E

Jul 6, 2016, 3:33:21 AM7/6/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Congrats Sayi!! Good write up!!

Satya Balakrishnan

Jul 6, 2016, 10:16:15 AM7/6/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Congrats sayi!!! Ur write up is very interesting!!!!

Aravind M S

Jul 6, 2016, 10:34:42 AM7/6/16
to Satya Balakrishnan, Bangalore Bikers Club

Seems like serial episodes. Very interesting, though.

On 6 Jul 2016 19:46, "Satya Balakrishnan" <satya.bal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Congrats sayi!!! Ur write up is very interesting!!!!

berkeleydb

Jul 10, 2016, 11:47:52 AM7/10/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Superb post Sayi. Wish you many more successful brevets.

-{db}.

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jul 16, 2016, 2:41:08 AM7/16/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Jayaprakash.

Thanks Satya

Thanks Aravind. Didn't understand if  you liked it or not.

Thanks Berkeely.

1000 : A journey of self realisation :

Part-3 : Hubli- Chitradurga-Bangalore : 400 Kms : The finishing ride.

Checkout this links for Pictures : https://www.facebook.com/sayi89/posts/1300476979995214
___________________________________

I was told that if I reach 600 within time, there is every chance that I can finish the brevet. I too thought so, but reality is different. My body felt refreshed after bath and rest but mind is tired. I wanted more sleep, but I felt I will complete only if I reach Chitradurga ahead of time.

As I started from Hubli, cross winds still prevailed.They pushed me, but were not so rough as previous day. As I missed lunch with Mohan at Kamat, I wanted to push till there for having lunch. Till there I survived on Avalakki available at roadside shop. I passed through all those windmills again, enjoyed the beauty of fields looking at farmers and continued.I forgot to mention that while going towards Hubli, I saw a deer and black buck running around in fields.

It was hot for first time in brevet. So I switched to sleeveless. I never wore it in a brevet, so wanted to experiment. The climate changed faster than blink of an eye. It rained once again very furiously.I felt very cold and wanted a shade to change dress but it is an empty highway without any shop or bus stop. So in a desperate attempt to reach Kamat after Havei , I pedalled faster.

Among all the very weird stares, I quickly ran to washroom and changed to warm and dry clothes. Usually, set dosa for me is equal to lunch, but there I had set dosa followed by utappam and ragi dosa. After having a coffee, I resumed once again. I still felt very sleepy. Stopped at every toll for having tea. As soon as I entered Harihar, the road spitted into two and suddenly it became very dark. Even my thoughts. I started to think negatively. I wanted to stop riding, I saw no reason to continue. I remembered that I'm riding alone, I realised that at Chitradurga there will be no volunteer or organiser to enquire if I'm alright. I was pissed off to the core and even very angry for no reason. At the same moment I also thought about riders at TransAM bike race and RAAM. RAAM riders have crew support, but TransAm riders, I thought about their feelings. When compared to their 7000km ride, my 700+ km ride appeared nothing to me. Finally all the thoughts came to a halt when I saw a petrol bunk at Davangere.

That guy there, allowed me to sleep inside office. It was very warm and cozy there. I had a good sleep and got refreshed. All the thoughts were positive again and my mission was to reach Chitradurga. Rain also halted giving me a chance to enjoy fresh and pleasant air.

I'm alright for another 20 km and sleep hit me again. So I had to ride slow even the when climbs reduced and tailwinds increased. Finally with 40 minutes to spare I reached chitradurga. I slept there at entrance of Bakery behind ICICI ATM in bus stand. I started again around 3.30 or 4 am and saw Ashok T at entrance,who is approaching Chitradurga. What to say, he is riding a 400 just to loosen his muscles for an upcoming 24 hour run. 1000 looked like a baby feat before that run.

After we greeted each other we went ahead in opposite ways. After Hiryur, I stopped at a Dhaba to have some roti. After dosa's previous day evening, this is food I'm having again after 12 hours. I got completely surprised by the change of my food habits. At Sira, I felt exhausted and stopped at Kamat. I wanted to stop at CCD, but was not ready to pay 150 for a coffee, so chosen Kamat. Ashok met me here once again.

After speaking with him,I finally got relieved. It was a great feeling to speak with someone you know after nearly 41 hours. I felt relaxed. Riding with him is a challenge. That too after riding 900 kms and maintaining a good pace appeared difficult for my legs. Occasional food stops gave me necessary energy to match his pace. He got fully recharged after having two ice creams ahead of Dabaspet. I couldn't catch up with his sprinting at climbs there and finally gave up. Also I had to attend nature call. So used the last stretch of green patch before entering concrete jungle.

At Nelamangala, I'm nearly in tears once again but I got over it as I have a much bigger task of avoiding traffic on service roads. At Nagasandra Metro Station, I collapsed on steps. I called Mohan, who came down from his house with a smiling face and chocolate Mousse. It was once again a emotional moment. I know there will not be any medal or physical form of recognition for this ride. Even I wondered if there will be any of organiser waiting at end. Everytime, I have to remind myself that I just rode for myself.But that small gesture by Mohan and his happiness that I have finally reached made go on cloud nine. We pedalled to end. Ashok was fixing puncture there. We had a small chit chat.

Throughout the conversation different emotions are running through my mind, I felt too happy for finishing the toughest 1000 brm in India, I felt sad for being exhausted mentally just for a 1000 km, surprised that I even wanted to ride more, and I enjoyed a different kind of silence prevailing all over, whenever I'm not talking. I wanted to cry but couldn't.

We all started and I went to Mohan's home once again. I got completely refreshed after a hot water bath. I didn't want to sleep as I'm not sure if I will wake up again to catch bus.I thoroughly enjoyed the calmness in my mind and the feeling that I have finished 1000. After dinner we started to bus stand. Mohan was kind enough to drop me at Shanthinagar in his car. As I said in very beginning Mohan was throughout the ride.

Mohan, I'm dedicating this ride to you for everything you have done. I cannot thank you enough. Also, there are lot of people who encouraged me when ever I updated my status. Thanks to all and Jins, thanks for calling at critical time and cheering me with encouraging words.

I'm finally relived that I have fulfilled one of my wishes this year. Now, 3 more 600's,a 300 for 6 SR"s and finally the grand finale.

Life was back to normal, when I went to office next day.

That silence prevailed over next few days. When ever I enjoyed that silence, mind used to travel back to that night time between Hubli and Belgaum, the emotional stress there and funny feelings to give up after Harihar, more over I found that even without company one can ride more than 600 kms. I came to know what are my fears and some of my strengths. Moreover it is a ride to remember and cherish for a life time.

Parag Patankar

Jul 16, 2016, 3:05:21 AM7/16/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, Bangalore Bikers Club
Beautifully Ridden, and written Sayi ! Look forward to a lot more of the ride reports from you.

And you are a brave man, not just because you did all the rides, but you were willing to share all the raw emotions you went through during the ride.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Aravind M S

Jul 16, 2016, 6:41:42 AM7/16/16
to Parag Patankar, Bangalore Bikers Club, Sayi RamaKrishna

Fantastic report Sayi. A big salute for the courage for braving all your emotions and loneliness.
Please note, really enjoyed your three episode serial.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.

Pradeep Naidu

Jul 16, 2016, 7:53:16 AM7/16/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, Bangalore Bikers Club

Sayi
Yours is the only write up I have ever read fully... It was very interesting.. I could feel your pain and happiness..
Extremely happy for you mate..
It only inspires us more..

Ali Poonawala

Jul 18, 2016, 11:32:53 AM7/18/16
to pradeep naidu, Sayi RamaKrishna, Sharath Chandar

Sayi
You are blessed..
With a very strong mind and willing body
And an emotionally moving narrative.
Wonderful words..pure and sparkling

Remain blessed

Warm regards
Ali Poonawala

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jul 18, 2016, 12:43:24 PM7/18/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, suma...@me.com
Parag : Thanks a lot. I feel after certain time and distance, and especially when it gets dark, if there is no company emotions will definitely take a big role in riding and I felt I should express them. Your first Anchetti ride blog definitely might have some influence on me. From now I will share me ride reports here too:) . Didn't expect many will like as I narrated as it happened on ride without any stats/speed etc.

Aravind : Thank you . He he, didn't understand what you meant in previous post.

Pradeep : Thank you . I'm glad that you liked it. For me, my ride completes only after penning it down. If I'm not mistaken, you are the one who inspired Jins to get a single speed ? He narrated a lot about your speed and strength on single speed.

Dr. Ali : Thank you very much sir.

Pradeep Naidu

Jul 18, 2016, 10:31:01 PM7/18/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club

Yes sayi.. it was me.. Now he's a beast on single speed.. never seen a guy who is so fast like Jins on ss..
I take lot of pride introducing him to ss..

Aravind M S

Jul 18, 2016, 11:56:16 PM7/18/16
to Sayi RamaKrishna, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club

I meant, since you split it in 3 parts, each report was crisp, interesting and made to wait for the next one...

Best Regards,

Aravind M S