My 23rd brevet this season : 600 BRM : A tale of over confidence,darkness,light, greenery and 39 hou

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jul 12, 2016, 2:08:26 AM7/12/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Visit this link for pictures : https://www.facebook.com/sayi89/posts/1297729466936632?pnref=story

Bangalore - Mysore- Hassan- Ariskere- Birur- Ajjampur- Hosa Durga- Hiriyur- Sira- Bangalore

I rode 8900 kms in brevets (7900 in ACP BRM's) this season and crossed 12,000 kms overall in this year with this brevet.

After 1000,  I grew a bit over confident about myself. 600 certainly didn't appear big, so I was bothered only about checking route about turnings and nothing else.

Thanks to an additional holiday for Ramzan, I got to travel with Sundar Sir, through the beautiful roads of Chittor and Palamaner.. I need not introduce him, but I can now say that it is really fun to spend time with him. Also for lot of knowledge he shared.

It was again so surprising and very kind of Shaktivel and Prabhu from Coimbatore to offer accommodation and food for me at Bangalore. Thanks a lot guys.

As the ride began, I thought I can wrap the ride in 30 hours as I have done a sleepless 600 and a no food 200 in 1000 brevet. But some how, my legs were reluctant to push. They wanted to ride leisurely. Had a fall near Kengeri as I couldn't remove my leg from pedal strap within time. Beautiful motivation to quit, which happens to me normally within first 50 kms in all most , every brevet.Then I told to myself to go as far as I can and started again.

Manged to reach Mandya within 5 hours. After a chatty ride and dinner with Jins, I started again to Mysore. Nothing much to mention about this route and especially during night. It's just romance of tarmac and tires. But I was lost in thoughts about my discussion with Jins and his desire to ride more,with all the odds he is facing. He will emerge as a greatest rider for sure. I can see that.

It was just darkness prevailing throughout. Roads were good, traffic is less but my thoughts were gloomy. I could only feel sadness and couldn't be happy. Weird situation. It was alright as I tagged with Karthik and Harsha. Then many joined us and we rode in a group. After Krishnarajanagara, we stopped for a big sleep break. I'm reluctant to stop, but the fear of dogs in state highways made me stay with group.

It began raining as it dawned near Hole Narasimhapura and I have separated from group.As it goes with saying that one cannot appreciate light without experiencing darkness, I truly enjoyed the first ray of light over the lush green fields. The railway track running continuously and road drenched by water made that scene a classic painting. I felt tired and didn't feel like riding after that,but resumed again having lot of hot and fresh idly.

More green, more plants, more trees and more fields. Tyagaraja kritis's rendered by MS and Yesudas added much serenity to that moment. After checking in the control at Hassan, I rushed to next control. Downhill , tailwinds and cross winds and a climb again. They took turns to play games with me and tires of bike. I could see hills and wind mills on top of them. I wondered about the amount of energy being generated from winds in Karnataka. It is beautiful sight and I felt very happy thinking about renewable energy.

As I'm getting closer to Arsikere terrain became much beautiful. It was such that I didn't want to reach Arsikere at all.But the Puliyogare waiting at control made me to push till CCD. That CCD after Arsikere is in a beautiful location. I wasted lot of time there. I somehow didn't feel like riding. I'm good after changing clothes and I resumed.

Life was all good till I crossed Birur. There are no roads after Birur till Ajjampur. It made life difficult for all the riders, but many made it through. That's our life. No matter what the conditions are, we will push to end, Scenery around is very beautiful but we couldn't enjoy because if we take eyes of road, there is a great chance of fall. That too the terrain is terribly rolling. Situation was same till Hiryur.

After entering NH4 again on Hiryur, my bike took a breath finally. It felt like a life time, riding in such worst riding conditions. It was a nostalgic ride for me from Hiriyur as it is same last stretch for 1000 Brevet. I couldn't have a coffee at CCD ,sira in 1000, so I stopped now at CCD Sira. Took a nap, had biryani, latte and resumed once again. I'm afraid once again,as I slept on saddle and met with a fall in last 600 at Banagalore. It was terrible and pain in my ribs lasted for two weeks. That was on a MTB.I know if same thing happens now impact will be more on me and bike too. I cannot afford to repair a bent rim now. So I stopped where ever I felt sleepy.

After Sira, there was a toll and I had to answer a nature call there, which made me completely awake. I was happy till Tumkur, where sleep hit me again. Took a nap there once again. I'm carefully looking at time all the while, and I know if there are no mechanical failures, I will be there on time. So I took my chance.

Near Nelamangala, I got extremely hungry and survived on Honey straw, Mohan gave me in last 1000. As I approached Nelamangala, in my Mp3 player, Yaadon ki baarat song was playing. It was funny and a strange coincidence as this is road to finish for may brevets. And when she said "tum bhi gao na", I sang happily thinking about 1000 and all the previous brevets. I reached end point with 49 minutes to spare. I was bit sad about timing and all the over confidence I had at beginning as I didn't plan anything but was happy that I rode leisurely.

It was a nice drive to Chennai back again with Sundar sir in same route we took for reaching here. After a tasty lunch and Jigardananda at Murugan Idly near Kanchipuram, we reached home happily .

The end.

Every end is a new beginning.

Signing off.
Sayi mera naam

Cycle chalana mera kaam.

P.S : I was so surprised and happy to learn that my friend Kavi reached end control earlier than all riders. He was fighting with sleep initially but I'm completely surprised by his ability to tackle that for 600 kms and ending up with a very very decent finish. You are awesome buddy.

Opendro

Jul 12, 2016, 2:42:15 AM7/12/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Congratulations on yet another streak of brevets! Every ride, specially the bad ones, will add to the experience and make a difference.

Nice write up.

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jul 16, 2016, 2:37:53 AM7/16/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Opendro , yeah all these experiences will truly make a difference.