BA Haskell User Group meeting on March 20, 2013 (Wed)

Ivan Tarasov

Mar 10, 2013, 4:36:08 AM3/10/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan Fischoff
Starting this meeting I want to make some slight changes that I think would make the meetings better. The main idea is to restrict the length of the talks a bit, so that there is some time before and after the presentation that people can use to chat about Haskell (and non-Haskell stuff), talk about their projects, etc. That would also make it easier for everyone (including the speaker) to focus during the presentation. I don't want to put any hard restrictions, but the preference would be for the talks to take 45-60 minutes. Also please feel free to give me your feedback if you like or dislike something about our meetings.

This time Jonathan Fischoff will be giving a talk on the maximum entropy method and his library Haskell library 'maxent'. His talk will cover the formalism, applications, and highlight how using Haskell leads to simple implementation utilizing automatic differentiation.

Amit Kapoor kindly offered to host us at SALT Technologies Inc. (same place as the February meeting).

The address of the venue:

The talk will start around 19:00, however please plan to arrive earlier, any time after 18:30 is good.

Please this to your calendars (see this if you're using Google Calendar), and forward to anyone who might be interested to attend.

Cheers,
Ivan

Edward Kmett

Mar 11, 2013, 9:16:46 AM3/11/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan Fischoff
Will there be video of the talk?

-Edward

Ian Zimmerman

Mar 11, 2013, 9:31:51 PM3/11/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 00:36:08 -0800
Ivan Tarasov <ivan.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ivan> This time Jonathan Fischoff will be giving a talk on the maximum
Ivan> entropy method and his library Haskell library 'maxent'. His talk
Ivan> will cover the formalism, applications, and highlight how using
Ivan> Haskell leads to simple implementation utilizing automatic
Ivan> differentiation.

Ivan> Amit Kapoor kindly offered to host us at SALT Technologies
Ivan> Inc. (same place as the February meeting).

Ivan> The address of the venue: 89 De Boom Str, San Francisco
Ivan> <http://goo.gl/maps/UjyRF>

Ivan> The talk will start around 19:00, however please plan to arrive
Ivan> earlier, any time after 18:30 is good.

I suggested it on Meetup.com [1] - please at least 2 volunteers RSVP
there so it becomes official, thanks.

[1] http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Haskell-Users-Group/events/108575832/

gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD
fingerprint: 66DC D68F 5C1B 4D71 2EE5 BD03 8A00 786C C6FF 61AD
http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/c66875cda51109f76c6312f4d4743d1e.png

Ivan Tarasov

Mar 12, 2013, 12:20:48 AM3/12/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I can try to set up Google Hangout and record it from my laptop, however I can't promise it'd work.

Aaron Culich

Mar 12, 2013, 1:45:36 AM3/12/13
to Ivan Tarasov, baha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ivan- It would be great if you could try a Google Hangout. I'm bummed to
miss the talk since I'll be in Amsterdam next week, so if you can capture it
that would be great.

-Aaron

ps. know anyone I should visit at Utrecht while I'm there, too?

Amit Kapoor

Mar 21, 2013, 2:24:52 PM3/21/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan Fischoff
The following items have been recovered after the wild entropy party last
night:

1. A black umbrella
2. An headset
3. A tripod

If you misplaced them, please send me an email (with some sort of
identification information) and let me know when you want to pick them up.

regards