bayhac 2016!

Greg Horn

May 30, 2016, 11:42:55 PM5/30/16
to Bay Area Haskell Users Group
I saw on this r/haskell thread https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/4lc1g8/bayhac_2016/ that bayhac wasn't being actively organized this year.

I'm willing to help organize but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give guidance, specifically previous organizers? What is needed, Hacker dojo fees and some pizza?

Best,
Greg

Vlad Patryshev

May 30, 2016, 11:58:13 PM5/30/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Was not it Ivan Tarasov who organized it all?

Thanks,
-Vlad

Greg Steuck

May 31, 2016, 12:58:56 AM5/31/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
The last one I went to 2 years ago was co-organized by Mark Lentczner.

Dan Burton

May 31, 2016, 4:21:41 PM5/31/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Near the beginning of April, I emailed Mark Lentczner, Jonathan Fischoff, and Maxwell Swadling. All of them seemed willing to offer tidbits of advice to whomever organizes the next bayhac.

-- Dan Burton

Ryan Orendorff

May 31, 2016, 4:25:26 PM5/31/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I can assist with organizing and spreading the word, but I'll be out of town till September.

It seems Mark would definitely be a good resource for organizing.

Ryan

Bhaskar Mookerji

May 31, 2016, 4:34:44 PM5/31/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
What's the typical size of the event, attendance-wise?

- Buro

Arthur Chan

May 31, 2016, 5:20:19 PM5/31/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
It's seemed to be relatively constant over the years but I took a long hiatus. Around 100 max? I visited last year and it seemed around 75 to me but maybe someone else has hard numbers.

-- sent on the fly

Arthur Chan

May 31, 2016, 5:21:01 PM5/31/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I remember Mark being the main driver as well.

-- sent on the fly

Steve Severance

May 31, 2016, 5:23:06 PM5/31/16
to Bay Area Haskell Users Group
Typically it was a hundredish per day I think.

Organizing an event like this is actually quite involved. So if someone wants to step up just be aware that it is a significant commitment.

Mark or Jon can comment more but typically there is money that needs to be raised. A facility needs to be secured. Talks need to be solicited and scheduled. I have played only a small part in helping pull off Bayhac, but I have seen how much work goes into it.

A well planned event will typically supply breakfast and lunch. Mark can comment on what the per head cost was for various meals but we have tried to keep the diet more varied than just pizza.

Hackerdojo is in the process of moving down into Santa Clara. I don't know if the location is better or worse (depending on how you define them) than the last one. You would need to find a member to sponsor the event. I would not look only at hackerdojo. We held it at Mozilla in Mountain View one year and that was a great facility.

To be successful over the next couple of years the event would really need someone who could invest significant time in the event for more than just a year. There will be people will to help but there really does need to be a single person who really wants to make it happen.

Happy to answer any more questions that people have.

Steve

Greg Horn

May 31, 2016, 10:36:18 PM5/31/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

> Near the beginning of April, I emailed Mark Lentczner, Jonathan Fischoff, and Maxwell Swadling. All of them seemed willing to offer tidbits of advice to whomever organizes the next bayhac.

Would you mind pointing those guys at this thread please? Or just give them my email gregma...@gmail.com and ask them to ping me

Best,
Greg

Mark Lentczner

Jun 1, 2016, 2:40:01 AM6/1/16
to Bay Area Haskell Users Group
Hiho -

I can happily help future BayHac organizers with some historical background, estimates, war stories, and other advice. Alas, I can't really help out beyond that.

As Steve said, while BayHac isn't a huge event, it is still a significant commitment to pull off a three day event for 100 people/day. I'd typically begin organizing five to six months before the event - So trying for a date in Fall would be cutting it close at this point.

The hardest part will be the venue. HackerDojo probably isn't a realistic option anymore. Mozilla was nicely located, but we had some logistical issues (doors and security) that would need to be rethought. Google might be possible if you have a googler as an organizer (as in, not me). Facebook perhaps, or maybe some other company? Renting a space is probably prohibitively expensive, unless you radically change the fee.

Getting speakers lined up is also an issue. Though really, you need to have an organizer first, and then they need to get clarity on what kind of event they want to run: More hackathon? More talk? More workshop? More un-conference? Getting this mix, and the feel, right is essential for driving the rest of the event.

- Mark

Byron Hale

Jun 1, 2016, 3:58:03 PM6/1/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
There was one last year in mid-June at Hackers Dojo.  Since then group meetings at Hackers Dojo have gone on hiatus. Timing is now an issue.  It took two months to put it together last year. Many people will be going on vacation this Summer. September might be a good time to have it, depending on other conferences that prospective speakers may attend.

Mark Lentczner

Jun 1, 2016, 5:12:50 PM6/1/16
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Note that the ICFP conference (including Haskell Symposium, and Haskell Implementors Workshop) is Sept. 18 ~ 24 this year in Japan. Since many of the people one would want as speakers will be there - and travelling internationally before and after it.... September (and even early October) might not be such a good month for BayHac.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bay Area Haskell Users Group" group.