Marionette Express Mongo

Andrei Motinga

Sep 23, 2014, 1:00:33 PM9/23/14
to backbone-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys.
Can please someone  write the simplest possible todo app using these three, that will only display  task from database.
I've watched/ read tons on express, backbone, marionette, also have  a course almost completed on Mongo.
"Developing Backbone Applications" by Osmani is a good read, and he introduces rest api and Marionette also but unfortunately not together.
Gentle introduction by Sulc, is also pretty nice until he gets to restructuring his app with modules. after that - half of of the code is names of the variables, and it's very hard to follow, but yet it's not the point,
most of tutorial out there use local storage.

there is "Boilerplate plate app using...."   http://kroltech.com/2013/12/boilerplate-web-app-using-backbone-js-expressjs-node-js-mongodb/    for a beginner there's way to many stuff, it's not simple at all.   I mean there basically very little explanation on what's going on... Well actually explanation is good,
it's just it isn't smtn you can you for learning purposes.

also there are couple of good tutorials on express and backbone on youtube.

The problem is. I want to use marionette views, and hook it somehow to mongo.   I can install express ,  make api so when you navigate to /tasks - you get json response back showing tasks from database.
I can't figure out how you would pass this data to a view and  display it's properly, and it seems impossible to find a "gentle" tutorial on this.

I've spent last  200 hours  on  learning   mongo and backbone..  backbone takes like 80% of the time.  and either I'm a dummy ( which is likely) or Backbone has "some learning curve".

I came here for help.
I'm trying my best to study.  starting september 1. every singe weekday  8am - 6pm I'm learning things to become a front-end developer -hopefully  full stack dev.
If there is anybody out there who can help me/ may be guide me through different complicated things, may be help occasionally when i'm stuck -

please. any help is so much appreciated.

Bret Askeland

Sep 23, 2014, 4:20:12 PM9/23/14
to backbone-...@googlegroups.com
Check out the git fork from Mr. Ashkenas, he has a few great complete examples.  Look at option 1 and if you have questions reply back on here.

Andrei Motinga

Sep 23, 2014, 6:03:04 PM9/23/14
to backbone-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bret. First of all thank you for taking time to help me out.
Unfortunately these plates don't help much. Neither first nor second option offer solution by utilizing Marionette.
Plus ( I don't mean to be lazy) it's just Osmani's idea of boilerplate is much different from mine. with this Todo app he offers some functionality (order, add, remove, completed) it's all good - the problem is it distracts much from the only necessary pieces of app.
plus code in these examples based on express 3 - so need some reconfiguration to use with current version.
As you understand I'm in the process of learning. I guess you would agree that the only way for me to learn some technology is -to go ahead and try to build something with it.
I'm looking for a tutorial or a book on Marionette with Mongo. - and I can't find any.
I understand basic usage of Marionette and can probably built an app without server. But actually i thought it'd be a good idea to set up the full stack. work through server and then add more and more functionality and design to application, same time exploring and applying some automation tools.
what I have now is server running and I can get json responce when navigating to "/tasks" or "/task/id" .

 the problem is - how do you display this data by using Marionette?

Hyojung Kwon

Sep 23, 2014, 6:51:39 PM9/23/14
to backbone-...@googlegroups.com
Visit "gistcamp.com" which is another web interface for Github's gist service

I developed and am managing gistcamp.com that is totally based on the technologies you mentioned such as backbone, marionette, mongodb and node.js.
You can view all the source code on github (https://github.com/RayKwon/gistcamp)
I am thinking the structure and pattern used in gistcamp.com is not the best, but you still can get the idea from it.

Hope this helps.

Joanne Daudier

Sep 24, 2014, 8:55:57 PM9/24/14
to backbone-...@googlegroups.com