next meeting

Skip to the first unread message

Vlad Patryshev

2 Jun 2012, 15:48:5302/06/2012
to ba...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We will have our next meeting on 6/27, at 7pm, in Engine Yard, San Francisco.

This will be our last meeting at Engine Yard: Larry is leaving for... for some time.

We agreed to start discussing the book that was mentioned before:

Algebaric and Coalgebraic Methods in the Mathematics of Program Construction.

This is a collection of articles/tutorials, so there's no need to read it chapter by chapter.
Larry will choose his favorite chapter and tell us any time soon.

The book can be purchased on Amazon for about $50. It's worth it, I believe.

Best regards, and see you soon again,
-Vlad

David Espinosa

2 Jun 2012, 16:16:1202/06/2012
to ba...@googlegroups.com
> The book can be purchased on Amazon for about $50. It's worth it, I believe.

More like $90:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/3540436138/

As with any math book, you get out what you put in !

larrytheliquid

15 Jun 2012, 20:22:1815/06/2012
to ba...@googlegroups.com
Let's go ahead and go with chapter 5 for this meeting (which was mentioned previously). It's self-contained and available online:

This chapter goes over implicitly defining functions via their universal properties (which enables short equational reasoning proofs).
The content is inspired by category theory, but does not mention it explicitly, so during the meeting we can go over what each functional programming concept generalizes to in arbitrary categories.

Aaron Culich

15 Jun 2012, 22:11:5815/06/2012
to ba...@googlegroups.com
sounds good to me.