Where can I buy Caspar's Hot Dogs

Ken Workman

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
Caspars either.

--
To reach us by email remove the extra "c" in the "ccruzio.com"
Domain. Take a look at our Web Site at http://www2.cruzio.com/~sbken.

Christine Dabney

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:11:41 -0700, sb...@ccruzio.com (Ken Workman) wrote:

>Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
>Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
>Caspars either.

Costco has them.

Christine

Steve Wertz

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

: Costco has them.

I can confirm that. They also have a firly good "Coney" dog too. Lucky's
somtimes have Caspers, in those same 3 pounnd packages. Frankly, I
I like Hebrew National slightly better than Caspers.

Ken Workman

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
In article <sbken-29099...@192.168.1.254>, sb...@ccruzio.com (Ken
Workman) wrote:

>Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
>Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
>Caspars either.

Thanks to all who've replied... except Mr. Hagen.

It's a shame when a simple answer for assistance or information is met
with such vitriol. It's doubly sad when the individual, in this case Mr.
Kent Hagen, has to hide behind a false email address.

Seems that the other folks knew I meant _Caspers_. If I still had a
package of the hot dogs I'm sure I would have spelled the name correctly.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Karen O'Mara

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Ken Workman wrote:

> Seems that the other folks knew I meant _Caspers_. If I still had a
> package of the hot dogs I'm sure I would have spelled the name correctly.
>
> Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

The day we all get hung up and interested in pointing out typo's,
misspellings, bad sentence structure, and what-not, is the day we should just
eat our hats.

Karen

mike

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

Karen O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> wrote in message

Really!

Kent Hagen

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
Ken I would like to apologize to you and the newsgroup for my vitreolic
statement. It was in
very poor taste. When I wrote it I wasn't feeling anger, but I was thinking
about and reinacting a scene between Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in
Mike Nichol's "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf" in 1966. That may explain, but
obviously does not condone my action. Again, my apology to you.
Kent Hagen

Ken Workman wrote:

> In article <sbken-29099...@192.168.1.254>, sb...@ccruzio.com (Ken
> Workman) wrote:
>
> >Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
> >Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
> >Caspars either.
>
> Thanks to all who've replied... except Mr. Hagen.
>
> It's a shame when a simple answer for assistance or information is met
> with such vitriol. It's doubly sad when the individual, in this case Mr.
> Kent Hagen, has to hide behind a false email address.
>

> Seems that the other folks knew I meant _Caspers_. If I still had a
> package of the hot dogs I'm sure I would have spelled the name correctly.
>
> Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Ken Workman

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
In article <37F8256C...@pacbell.net>, Kent Hagen
<KEH...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Ken I would like to apologize to you and the newsgroup for my vitreolic
>statement. It was in
>very poor taste. When I wrote it I wasn't feeling anger, but I was thinking
>about and reinacting a scene between Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in
>Mike Nichol's "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf" in 1966. That may explain, but
>obviously does not condone my action. Again, my apology to you.

Kent:

Apology accepted. We all have "bad hair" days. Even me, and I don't even
have hair! (;^)

I may have to dig up a copy of "Virginia Wolf" again and see if you're
Richard Burton and I'm Liz Taylor or vice versa.
At least I now know I can still have Caspar's in the house. Maybe I was
confusing the hot dogs with Casper the Ghost?

Christine Dabney

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 18:51:42 -0700, sb...@ccruzio.com (Ken Workman) wrote:

>At least I now know I can still have Caspar's in the house.

I just saw them at Andronicos this week, also...

Christine

Ken Workman

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
In article <UPzyNywNnO6cpR...@4ax.com>, Christine Dabney
<arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:11:41 -0700, sb...@ccruzio.com (Ken Workman) wrote:
>
>>Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
>>Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
>>Caspars either.
>

>Costco has them.

Picked up a package of 20 or so at Costco yesterday. Thanks to all who
replied. I now can be in hot-dog heaven once again!

Caspers
Caspers
Caspers
Caspers
Caspers
Caspers
Caspers

Maybe now I'll spell it correctly. I keep a hot dog right above my
keyboard to remind me of the correct spelling. (;^p

Kent Hagen

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
The first thing you might do is to spell the godamned name correctly.
KEH

Ken Workman wrote:

> Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
> Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
> Caspars either.

golfaro...@gmail.com

May 27, 2016, 2:16:51 PM5/27/16
On Wednesday, September 29, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Ken Workman wrote:
> Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
> Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
> Caspars either.
>
> --
> To reach us by email remove the extra "c" in the "ccruzio.com"
> Domain. Take a look at our Web Site at http://www2.cruzio.com/~sbken.

I saw Caspers at Safeway just yesterday.

Peter Lawrence

May 27, 2016, 2:47:57 PM5/27/16
On 5/27/16 11:16 AM, golfaro...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 29, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Ken Workman wrote:
>>
>> Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
>> Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
>> Caspars either.
>
> I saw Caspers at Safeway just yesterday.

Glad to know! I've also been searching for over 16 years for them.

- Peter

Mike D.

May 27, 2016, 2:51:17 PM5/27/16
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 11:16:51 AM UTC-7, golfaro...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 29, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Ken Workman wrote:
> > Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
> > Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
> > Caspars either.
> >

> I saw Caspers at Safeway just yesterday.

Yes, the question was posted a millennium ago.

Todd Michel McComb

May 27, 2016, 3:03:39 PM5/27/16
In article <27edb789-160c-43c8...@googlegroups.com>,
Mike D. <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Yes, the question was posted a millennium ago.

Some questions require extensive research.

Ciccio

May 27, 2016, 3:48:01 PM5/27/16
Over the years I've seen them at Costco, but I've always passed on them
as I prefer the hot dogs at (K)asper's with a "K" over (C)asper's.

Ciccio

sf

May 27, 2016, 5:26:50 PM5/27/16
On Fri, 27 May 2016 11:48:02 -0700, Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com>
wrote:
Better get it soon, because their stock comes and goes quickly. If it
doesn't sell, they don't restock. It seems I was one of too few
people who bought the labneh at Safeway and POOF - it was gone.

--

sf

Al Eisner

May 27, 2016, 6:19:07 PM5/27/16
Are those the things which appear only once every 17 years, and then
something else?) If so, yes, better hurry.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Ciccio

May 29, 2016, 2:00:20 PM5/29/16
On 5/27/2016 10:44 PM, Swertz wrote:

> BIG Whoosh there.
>
> Caspars were the best skin-on dogs I've ever had. Beats the shit out
> of Nathans and Vienna skins (and Boars head are the worst of them
> all).

Too bad that (K)asper's hot dogs are not sold in stores I give them a
definite edge over (C)asper's. Though, of course, they are both second
rate in their respective shops as their hot dogs are not grilled. But I
can see how store bought (C)asper's grilled would be pretty good. I find
even BK hot dogs better than either when bought in their shops because
BK's are grilled.

Ciccio
--
All American veterans gave some, but some gave all.
Memorial Day is to honor those who gave all.

sms

May 30, 2016, 12:08:31 PM5/30/16
I saw them at the Business Costco in Hayward on Saturday. I don't think
that the regular Costcos carry them.

sf

May 30, 2016, 12:30:56 PM5/30/16
On Sun, 29 May 2016 11:00:14 -0700, Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 5/27/2016 10:44 PM, Swertz wrote:
>
> > BIG Whoosh there.
> >
> > Caspars were the best skin-on dogs I've ever had. Beats the shit out
> > of Nathans and Vienna skins (and Boars head are the worst of them
> > all).
>

> Too bad that (K)asper's hot dogs are not sold in stores I give them a
> definite edge over (C)asper's. Though, of course, they are both second
> rate in their respective shops as their hot dogs are not grilled. But I
> can see how store bought (C)asper's grilled would be pretty good. I find
> even BK hot dogs better than either when bought in their shops because
> BK's are grilled.
>
> Ciccio

Your friend, the little weasel, missed the point... but he never
misses a chance to act like a fool.

--

sf

Ciccio

May 30, 2016, 2:56:31 PM5/30/16
Sure, no problem, I'm glad to elaborate...Hot dogs should not be
steamed, but should be grilled. A hot dog of mediocre quality that is
grilled tastes better than a hot dog of better quality that is steamed.

Al Eisner

May 31, 2016, 2:37:23 PM5/31/16
On Sun, 29 May 2016, Ciccio wrote:

> On 5/27/2016 10:44 PM, Swertz wrote:
>
>> BIG Whoosh there.
>>
>> Caspars were the best skin-on dogs I've ever had. Beats the shit out
>> of Nathans and Vienna skins (and Boars head are the worst of them
>> all).
>
> Too bad that (K)asper's hot dogs are not sold in stores I give them a
> definite edge over (C)asper's. Though, of course, they are both second rate
> in their respective shops as their hot dogs are not grilled. But I can see
> how store bought (C)asper's grilled would be pretty good. I find even BK hot
> dogs better than either when bought in their shops because BK's are grilled.

When in Los Gatos last week, I was reminded by recent threads to stop
for an early lunch at Happy Hound. Their grilled polish sausage (sliced
in half the long way and served on French bread) was excellent, as I
had recalled; this time I skipped the cheese and tomato and added
sauerkraut instead, for a very satisfying combination. Also, they have
some of the best onion rings I've ever had in the area (way too many
places screw this up).

Memo to swertz: please do not use the word "shit" in a sentence
recommending sausages.

Steve Pope

Jun 1, 2016, 4:31:52 AM6/1/16
Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

>When in Los Gatos last week, I was reminded by recent threads to stop
>for an early lunch at Happy Hound. Their grilled polish sausage (sliced
>in half the long way and served on French bread) was excellent, as I
>had recalled; this time I skipped the cheese and tomato and added
>sauerkraut instead, for a very satisfying combination.

I've heard the Purists diss the practice of butterflying
a sausage before grilling it, but I personally am down with this
methodology.

Tangentially "Honest Dogs", sold at Whole Foods and Grass Fed
(not in that order) are pretty good.

Steve

Owen Gilmore

Jun 12, 2016, 9:36:38 PM6/12/16
On Wednesday, September 29, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Ken Workman wrote:
> Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
> Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
> Caspars either.
>
> --
> To reach us by email remove the extra "c" in the "ccruzio.com"
> Domain. Take a look at our Web Site at http://www2.cruzio.com/~sbken.

The King Street Safeway in SF has 'em.

-OG

Tim May

Jun 14, 2016, 3:18:30 PM6/14/16
Safeway in the Santa Cruz area has them.

Based on this thread, I noticed the Caspers and had a couple last
night. Pretty good. But, then, hot dogs are hard to screw up. I did
notice the "snap" of the casing, so this was a plus. I'll probably keep
buying them. (I'm not a big hot dog eater, but they make for a very
fast meal out of the microwave.)

--
Tim May

Steve Pope

Jun 14, 2016, 6:36:42 PM6/14/16
Tim May <tc...@att.net> wrote:

>Based on this thread, I noticed the Caspers and had a couple last
>night. Pretty good. But, then, hot dogs are hard to screw up. I did
>notice the "snap" of the casing, so this was a plus.

Did you happen to notice whether the ingredient list said they
were lamb casings?

Steve

Ciccio

Jun 14, 2016, 6:56:10 PM6/14/16
FWIW a manager at the (C)asper's in Dublin told me that their hot dog is
a mixture of pork and beef, but (K)asper's hot dogs are only beef, but
she made no mention of lamb. I certainly combine pork and beef (often
along with veal) e.g., meat balls, polpettone(Italian meat loaf), but I
still favor (K)asper's hot dogs to (C)asper's hot dogs.

Ciccio

evergene

Jun 14, 2016, 10:32:44 PM6/14/16
Steve Pope wrote:

>Did you happen to notice whether the ingredient list said they
>were lamb casings?

Caspers Hot Dogs Famous, 32.0 Oz
Ingredients
Beef, Pork, Water, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Salt, Dextrose, Corn Syrup
Solids, Mustard, Sodium Phosphate, Spices, Onion, Garlic, Paprika,
Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, In Natural Sheep Casings. Contains
Non-Fat Dry Milk.
http://www.shopwell.com/caspers-hot-dogs-famous/hot-dogs-sausages/p/5000827115

Tim May

Jun 15, 2016, 3:11:37 AM6/15/16

--
Tim May

Tim May

Jun 15, 2016, 4:22:52 AM6/15/16
OK, having finished off the package (16 oz) of these hot dogs, I can
officially say I'm a fan. I'll buy more.

--
Tim May

Ciccio

Jun 15, 2016, 2:20:36 PM6/15/16
Such confirms what the manager at (C)asper's in Dublin told me, i.e.,
their hot dog is a mixture of beef and pork, whereas (K)asper's touts
that their hot dogs are ALL beef. Though I often combine pork and beef,
I still prefer (K)asper's over (C)asper's.

About 15 years ago I heard that (K)asper's, which started long before
(C)asper's, was going to start selling its hot dogs in stores. However,
(C)asper's first sold them in stores and sued (K)asper's asserting
trademark confusion/infringement, etc. Too bad, I would have liked
buying(K)aspers in stores over(C)asper's. Oh well, both are nearby me
and I can still easily go to (K)asper's... Works for me.

Ciccio

Steve Pope

Jun 15, 2016, 6:13:28 PM6/15/16
Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Such confirms what the manager at (C)asper's in Dublin told me, i.e.,
>their hot dog is a mixture of beef and pork, whereas (K)asper's touts
>that their hot dogs are ALL beef. Though I often combine pork and beef,
>I still prefer (K)asper's over (C)asper's.

Does Kaspers use a sheep (or similar natural) casing, or is it a
substitute such as cellulose?

I harbor a belief that the natural casing, in addition to having
"snap", helps confine the flavors within the interior, so that
less flavor steams out.

Steve

Monica Solorio-Snow

Apr 4, 2018, 2:57:06 PM4/4/18
I'm replying to a post that was made in 1999 - and that is probably just as much fun as finding Casper's hot dogs at Oliver's Market in Windsor (Sonoma County). Mic drop.

Julian Macassey

Apr 4, 2018, 4:36:50 PM4/4/18
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 11:57:04 -0700 (PDT),
Monica Solorio-Snow <thehapp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm replying to a post that was made in 1999 - and that is probably
> just as much fun as finding Casper's hot dogs at Oliver's Market in
> Windsor (Sonoma County). Mic drop.

Never, ever drop a microphone. They are delicate instruments and
as a general rule, the more expensive they are, the more delicate they
are.

If you drop a microphone near me, expect the worst.

--
"Poor Mexico, so far from God, so close to the United States.” -
Mexican President Porfirio Díaz

Tim May

Apr 25, 2018, 6:06:48 AM4/25/18
On 2018-04-04 18:57:04 +0000, Monica Solorio-Snow said:

> I'm replying to a post that was made in 1999 - and that is probably
> just as much fun as finding Casper's hot dogs at Oliver's Market in
> Windsor (Sonoma County). Mic drop.
>

> On Wednesday, September 29, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Ken Workman wrote:
>> Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
>> Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
>> Caspars either

While this resurrected thread was one of those hilarious archaelogical
finds, it did cause me to notice in recent days the fairly lonely
Casper's displays at two major supermarkets, Safeway and Nob Hill.

So, at least as of 2018, available.

I bought several packs of Casper's during one of the threads on them
some years ago. I thought they were tasty, but a bit too salty for my
taste. I mostly went back to various sausages, such as those from Saag,
Aidell's, or Silva. Mostly I favor andouille/cajun variants.

--
Tim May

cal...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2020, 5:34:54 PM1/8/20
On Thursday, September 30, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Steve Wertz wrote:
> Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> : On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:11:41 -0700, sb...@ccruzio.com (Ken Workman) wrote:
>
> :>Nob Hill has stopped carrying what I consider the best hot dogs, Caspar's.
> :>Does anyone know who else might carry them Safeway doesn't seem to sell
> :>Caspars either.
>
> : Costco has them.
>
> I can confirm that. They also have a firly good "Coney" dog too. Lucky's
> somtimes have Caspers, in those same 3 pounnd packages. Frankly, I
> I like Hebrew National slightly better than Caspers.

"Frankly, I like Hebrew National slightly better than Caspers."
That's funny right there...

Julian Macassey

Jan 8, 2020, 6:37:27 PM1/8/20
I wonder how much they have changed since 1999.

--
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell

Ciccio

Jan 8, 2020, 10:37:53 PM1/8/20
I recently saw Caspers at Nob Hill Foods. Not sold in stores, but I much
prefer Kaspers to Casper's. Both have places in the Tri-Valley.

Ciccio

--
“1. The poor: work and work,
2. The rich: exploit the poor,

sms

Jan 15, 2020, 9:30:38 AM1/15/20

Ciccio

Jan 19, 2020, 12:29:50 PM1/19/20
On 1/16/2020 8:23 PM, Swertz wrote:

> I'd still buy Caspar's if I could find them... in Texas. They were
> better than Vienna skin-on's (and had more length and girth).
>
> As for Hebrew Nationals, they're too salty for me now.
>
> -sw

Casper’s compared to Hebrew National is a better bang for the buck (or
“price point” in contemporary corporate-speak)at the Nob Hill or Safeway
where I may shop.

However, the Walmart Neighborhood Market where I usually shop does not
carry Casper’s. But compared to either place it has Hebrew National at
about half the price of Hebrew Casper's or Hebrew National! So, it's a
no-brainer, I eat mostly Hebrew National.