House of PR, San Fran

evergene

Jan 12, 2010, 7:11:45 PM1/12/10
We had dinner last night at House of Prime Rib, to celebrate a
friend's birthday. I love that place. The pre-prandial rye-based
Manhattan was top notch. The food is ample, second-rate, and boring,
the atmosphere is congenial, everyone there seems happy. Willie Brown
was dining at a table nearby, with a blonde.

Julian Macassey

Jan 12, 2010, 7:23:46 PM1/12/10
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:11:45 -0800, evergene <ever...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Willie Brown was dining at a table nearby, with a blonde.

Did he pay the bill or expect it to be "comped"?

--
"We had no domestic terror attacks under Bush. We've had one under Obama."
- Rudy Giuliani, 1/8/10, on "Good Morning America"

evergene

Jan 12, 2010, 8:18:38 PM1/12/10
Julian Macassey wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:11:45 -0800, evergene <ever...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Willie Brown was dining at a table nearby, with a blonde.
>
> Did he pay the bill or expect it to be "comped"?

Good question, and I don't know the answer. People noticed his
presence, and a couple of glad-handers stopped at his table, but there
was no commotion. Anyway, my attention was fully occupied by the salad
bowl spinning in its larger bowl full of ice, and the chilled forks
they give you with which to eat the salad. Chopped iceberg lettuce and
chopped beets -- truly, Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as
one of these.

sf

Jan 12, 2010, 8:54:54 PM1/12/10
wrote:

>I love that place.
Ditto

>The pre-prandial rye-based Manhattan was top notch.

Double Ditto (Do you remember which brand?)

>The food is ample, second-rate, and boring,

<shrug> People go there because they know exactly what they're going
to get. Boring to you, comfort food to others.

>the atmosphere is congenial, everyone there seems happy.

Always!

> Willie Brown was dining at a table nearby, with a blonde.

See what I mean? There are no surprises at the House of Prime Rib.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Tony Lima

Jan 12, 2010, 9:36:59 PM1/12/10
<ever...@newsguy.com> wrote:

>Willie Brown
>was dining at a table nearby, with a blonde.

As they say in another froup, statements like this demand
pointers to GIFs!!!

I note with interest that Gene withdrew his reply. Coward!
- Tony

evergene

Jan 12, 2010, 10:05:58 PM1/12/10
Tony Lima wrote:

Huh? Not sure what you're referring to, but I stand by every inuendo I
made.

evergene

Jan 12, 2010, 10:16:28 PM1/12/10
sf wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:11:45 -0800, evergene <ever...@newsguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I love that place.
>Ditto
>>The pre-prandial rye-based Manhattan was top notch.
>Double Ditto (Do you remember which brand?)

I didn't specify. Probably Old Overholt.

>>The food is ample, second-rate, and boring,
><shrug> People go there because they know exactly what they're going
>to get. Boring to you, comfort food to others.

Boring and comforting are not mutually exclusive, they're
complementary.

>>the atmosphere is congenial, everyone there seems happy.
>Always!
>> Willie Brown was dining at a table nearby, with a blonde.
>See what I mean? There are no surprises at the House of Prime Rib.

Another attractive quality: the current fashion of presenting food
vertically has passed them by. Your creamed spinach occupies part of
your plate, your meat occupies another, adjacent part of your plate.
Your potatoes occupy the remainder of your plate, if they're mashed,
or another plate entirely, if baked. Whoever decided that a plate was
more enticing if the food is stacked up was a shallow person.

Geoff Miller

Jan 12, 2010, 11:18:03 PM1/12/10

evergene <ever...@newsguy.com> writes:

> The pre-prandial rye-based Manhattan was top notch.

Thanks for tumescing my vocabulary. I haven't felt
this insufferably cultivated since I stumbled across
"quotidian" over in ba.kooks, and had to look it up.

Seriously, any place that makes a good Manhattan is
aces in my book. I recently procured some Woodford
Reserve over at the Capitola BevMo. It made a fine
Manhattan. As much as I like Maker's Mark for sip-
ping, it's a bit too sweet for that application.

> Willie Brown was dining at a table nearby, with a
> blonde.

ObBlazingSaddles: "Where all de white womens at?"

Geoff

--
"The Sound of Music was ruined by Julie Andrews running
around on a hillside taking 20 minutes to sing what

Geoff Miller

Jan 12, 2010, 11:28:43 PM1/12/10

evergene <ever...@newsguy.com> writes:

[Willibrown]

> People noticed his presence, and a couple of glad-handers
> stopped at his table, but there was no commotion.

I'd never want to be famous. Rich, sure, but not famous.
It takes a special breed of asshole to pester celebrities
when they're trying to have a night out like normal people
do.

I've never "gotten" the whole celebrity-fascination thing.
Those people put their pants on one leg at a time, just
like the rest of us do.

> Anyway, my attention was fully occupied by the salad bowl
> spinning in its larger bowl full of ice, and the chilled
> forks they give you with which to eat the salad.

Mein Gott! They don't even give you chilled forks at
the Black Angus.

> Chopped iceberg lettuce and chopped beets -- truly,
> Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of
> these.

The cheap bastards could've at east given you fresh
spinach, or -- what was that snooty variety of lettuce
that The One mentioned in passing awhile back? -- aragula,
or something like that?

evergene

Jan 13, 2010, 12:03:48 AM1/13/10
Geoff Miller wrote:

>evergene <ever...@newsguy.com> writes:
>
>> The pre-prandial rye-based Manhattan was top notch.
>
>Thanks for tumescing my vocabulary. I haven't felt
>this insufferably cultivated since I stumbled across
>"quotidian" over in ba.kooks, and had to look it up.
>
>Seriously, any place that makes a good Manhattan is
>aces in my book. I recently procured some Woodford
>Reserve over at the Capitola BevMo. It made a fine
>Manhattan. As much as I like Maker's Mark for sip-
>ping, it's a bit too sweet for that application.

If you haven't already, try one made with rye whisky. Rittenhouse
seems to be the rye du jour (there's another bon mot to help you
pass), and it's very good in a Manhattan, but Old Overholt is good
too.

CAHighway99

Jan 13, 2010, 12:39:15 AM1/13/10

Yeah, I love that place, too! I only go there, about once every other
year, but it's an occasion that only seems to get better (and more
enjoyable), each and every time.

-Brent

Peter Lawrence

Jan 13, 2010, 1:17:37 AM1/13/10
Geoff Miller wrote:

> I'd never want to be famous. Rich, sure, but not famous.
> It takes a special breed of asshole to pester celebrities
> when they're trying to have a night out like normal people
> do.

Tell me about it. Last night I went to the Warriors-Cavaliers basketball
game in Oakland. Seated across the aisle two rows down was Mikael Pietrus a
former Warriors player who now plays now for the Orlando Magic. (The Magic
weren't playing that night but were in town because they would be playing
the Sacramento Kings tonight).

Anyway, Pietrus isn't any sort of star player in the NBA. He's a nice guy,
good enough to be a starter or 6th man, but not a type of player like Kobe
Bryant or Lebron James who people pay good money to watch play. But as soon
as he sat down in his seat as the game started, a steady stream of people
started coming by his seat asking for his autograph and to have photos
taken. These people were standing up in the aisle blocking the views of
others of the game in progress. Did they care? No. They were totally
oblivious to the fact that others (including Mikael Pietrus) might actually
want to *watch* the game in progress that all of us paid good money to see.

Pietrus was gracious enough to sign the autographs and have pictures taken
with these fans, but it got so bad that within five minutes the ushers had
to send a security person to shoo away all these inconsiderate fans. The
security man ended up having to seat in the aisle next to Pietrus to keep
these fans away.

- Peter

Ciccio

Jan 13, 2010, 2:31:40 AM1/13/10
On Jan 12, 4:11 pm, evergene <everg...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> We had dinner last night at House of Prime Rib, to celebrate a

Oh, damn, the House of Prime Rib. I thought it was new Puerto Rican
joint in SF. I was all ready to take a jaunt to get some pastales,
gandules rice, carne guisada...

Most definitely House of Prime Rib has been a long time favorite of
mine. That is where I first had Yorkshire pudding. Of course, I was
just a young lad [or whatever they call a kid in Yorkshire] and I
thought it was, well, pudding.

> Willie Brown was dining at a table nearby, with a blonde.

He must of thought House of PR had to do with Public Relations...

Ciccio
____________________

"How many times is Biden going to
say something stupid?"
-- Obama on his V.P. choice.

Tony Lima

Jan 13, 2010, 12:52:27 PM1/13/10

Your reply to Julian Macassey's message looks like this down
here:

Subject: Re: House of PR, San Fran
From: evergene <ever...@newsguy.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:18:38 -0800

[Sorry. This message is no longer available.]

nntp://news60.forteinc.com/ba.food/119951

Tony Lima

Jan 13, 2010, 12:53:09 PM1/13/10
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:16:28 -0800, evergene
<ever...@newsguy.com> wrote:

>the current fashion of presenting food
>vertically has passed them by.

"Current fashion?" That trend died in about 1999. - T

Aahz Maruch

Jan 13, 2010, 1:48:25 PM1/13/10
In article <h32sk5h6ao2ifq777...@4ax.com>,

Maybe so, but its corpse lives on.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>

evergene

Jan 13, 2010, 1:55:31 PM1/13/10
Tony Lima wrote:

>>>I note with interest that Gene withdrew his reply. Coward!
>>>- Tony
>>
>>Huh? Not sure what you're referring to, but I stand by every inuendo I
>>made.
>
>Your reply to Julian Macassey's message looks like this down
>here:
>

>Subject: Re: House of PR, San Fran
>From: evergene <ever...@newsguy.com>
>Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:18:38 -0800
>
>[Sorry. This message is no longer available.]

> nntp://news60.forteinc.com/ba.food/119951

Weird. It showed up on my usenet server, and Geoff Miller replied to
it.

In his reply, Geoff confirmed that he prefers riches to fame. To which
I need only add one additional sentence from Matthew: 6 (whom I had
already quoted below on the subject of iceberg lettuce): "You cannot
serve both God and Money."

Here's the call and response, annotated:

Julian Macassey wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:11:45 -0800, evergene <ever...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Willie Brown was dining at a table nearby, with a blonde.
>

> Did he pay the bill or expect it to be "comped"?

Good question, and I don't know the answer. People noticed his

presence, and a couple of glad-handers stopped at his table, but there

was no commotion. Anyway, my attention was fully occupied by the salad

bowl spinning in its larger bowl full of ice, and the chilled forks

they give you with which to eat the salad. Chopped iceberg lettuce and

chopped beets -- truly, Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as

one of these.*
*Matthew 6:28,29

Tony Lima

Jan 13, 2010, 7:13:58 PM1/13/10
On 13 Jan 2010 10:48:25 -0800, aa...@pobox.com (Aahz Maruch)
wrote:

>In article <h32sk5h6ao2ifq777...@4ax.com>,
>Tony Lima <tony...@att.net> wrote:
>>On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:16:28 -0800, evergene
>><ever...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>the current fashion of presenting food vertically has passed them by.
>>
>>"Current fashion?" That trend died in about 1999.
>
>Maybe so, but its corpse lives on.

And it's a very long corpse!

Geoff Miller

Jan 17, 2010, 12:46:39 PM1/17/10

evergene <ever...@newsguy.com> writes:

[Manhattans]

> If you haven't already, try one made with rye whisky.

I took your advice and picked up some Old Overholt at
BevMo yesterday. Very nice. Rye adds a whole new
dimension to the drink. Thanks for the suggestion.

Geoff

--
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to
other views, but then are shocked and offended

Steve Pope

Jan 17, 2010, 1:05:43 PM1/17/10
Geoff Miller <geo...@lava.net> wrote:

>evergene <ever...@newsguy.com> writes:

>[Manhattans]

>> If you haven't already, try one made with rye whisky.

>I took your advice and picked up some Old Overholt at
>BevMo yesterday. Very nice. Rye adds a whole new
>dimension to the drink. Thanks for the suggestion.

Isn't a Manhattan originally and authentically made with
rye, or is this not a settled point of history?

Steve

Geoff Miller

Jan 17, 2010, 2:28:41 PM1/17/10

Steve Pope <spo...@speedymail.org> writes:

> Isn't a Manhattan originally and authentically
> made with rye, or is this not a settled point
> of history?

According to what I've read, that's indeed the
case. Both of my bar books (one dating from
the early 1950s, and the other just a few years
old) calls the version made with rye the "clas-
sic" Manhattan.

It's unclear to me whether the default style
evolved from rye to bourbon everywhere, or
that's just a regional preference. I under-
stand that rye whiskey is more popular in
the eastern U.S. than it is out here on the
frontier.

James Silverton

Jan 17, 2010, 3:04:58 PM1/17/10
Geoff wrote on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:28:41 -0600:

>> Isn't a Manhattan originally and authentically
>> made with rye, or is this not a settled point
>> of history?

> According to what I've read, that's indeed the
> case. Both of my bar books (one dating from
> the early 1950s, and the other just a few years
> old) calls the version made with rye the "clas-
> sic" Manhattan.

> It's unclear to me whether the default style
> evolved from rye to bourbon everywhere, or
> that's just a regional preference. I under-
> stand that rye whiskey is more popular in
> the eastern U.S. than it is out here on the
> frontier.

I think the Wikipedia article on the Manhattan cocktail is correct in
saying that the original whiskey used was Rye. But, again as they say,
most other whiskeys can used. Still, I don't like Manhattans!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Ciccio

Jan 17, 2010, 4:45:03 PM1/17/10
On Jan 17, 11:28 am, geo...@lava.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

> It's unclear to me whether the default style
> evolved from rye to bourbon everywhere, or
> that's just a regional preference. I under-
> stand that rye whiskey is more popular in
> the eastern U.S. than it is out here on the
> frontier.

Frank Sinatra was a fan of the dry Manhattan. He was a fanatic about
Jack Daniel's. Indeed, a bottle of JD was buried with him. Whenever he
traveled, he insured a case of JD went with him, lest there would be
none at his destination. I wonder if he made Manhattans with JD?

Ciccio

Steve Pope

Jan 17, 2010, 8:10:26 PM1/17/10
Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Frank Sinatra was a fan of the dry Manhattan. He was a fanatic about
>Jack Daniel's. Indeed, a bottle of JD was buried with him. Whenever he
>traveled, he insured a case of JD went with him, lest there would be
>none at his destination. I wonder if he made Manhattans with JD?

I don't think of JD as dry. It's sort of sickly sweet
in fact.

However, back then "dry" could mean anything less than 50%
vermouth.

Steve

Julian Macassey

Jan 17, 2010, 9:51:15 PM1/17/10

What baffles me is why in the US Vermouth is only drunk
when people want to make certain spirits drinkable. No one seems
to enjoy it alone.

If you ask for a Martini, you don't get a Martini, you
get a Gin, often with some off brand Vermouth in it.

--
"War was God's way of teaching Americans geography." - Ambrose Bierce

Geoff Miller

Jan 17, 2010, 10:13:46 PM1/17/10

Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> writes:

> Frank Sinatra was a fan of the dry Manhattan.
> He was a fanatic about Jack Daniel's.

I love bourbon, but with all due respect to the
memory of the Chairman Of the Board, Jack Daniel's
is vile. I don't understand how or why that nasty
stuff acquired the following that it has. Blecch!

I discovered a bourbon recently that's become a
regular in my rotation: Bulleit. It comes in an
old-style, round-shouldered bottle for $23-$25 a
pop and and is billed as "frontier whiskey," what-
ever that means. Like a number of premium bourbons,
it's 90 proof.

I don't know whether the name is pronounced "BULL-ite"
or "BULLY-it," but it's good for sipping and makes a
fine Manhattan. It isn't nearly as sweet as Maker's
Mark. I enjoyed a splash over ice while relaxing next
to the woodstove earlier this evening, in fact.

Geoff

Todd Michel McComb

Jan 17, 2010, 10:51:37 PM1/17/10
In article <k5KdnYjbM753TM7W...@posted.lavanet>,

Geoff Miller <geo...@lava.net> wrote:
>I discovered a bourbon recently that's become a regular in my
>rotation: Bulleit.

I like it too. Apparently others are discovering it too, because
the price has been rising. It was under $20 for a 750ml when I was
buying it a few years ago.

Ciccio

Jan 17, 2010, 11:55:51 PM1/17/10
On Jan 17, 5:10 pm, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

> I don't think of JD as dry.  It's sort of sickly sweet
> in fact.

That wasn't my impression when I tried it. Now, when I tried Southern
Comfort, that struck me as being sickly sweet.

> However, back then "dry" could mean anything less than 50%
> vermouth.

I believe it was his departing from the then common practice of using
sweet vermouth, and using dry vermouth. Though, again, I'm unsure of
what type of whiskey he used.

Ciccio

Dan Abel

Jan 18, 2010, 12:10:51 AM1/18/10
In article
<07c94bfa-0ed8-40b9...@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 5:10�pm, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> > I don't think of JD as dry. �It's sort of sickly sweet
> > in fact.

Jack Daniels is a whisky. It has no sugar in it. Perhaps they make a
version that is a liqueur. It isn't on the Bevmo web site, though.

> That wasn't my impression when I tried it. Now, when I tried Southern
> Comfort, that struck me as being sickly sweet.

Southern Comfort is not a whisky. It is a liqueur made from bourbon.
It has a lot of sugar in it.

> > However, back then "dry" could mean anything less than 50%
> > vermouth.
>
> I believe it was his departing from the then common practice of using
> sweet vermouth, and using dry vermouth. Though, again, I'm unsure of
> what type of whiskey he used.

Dry vermouth has much less sugar than sweet vermouth. It still has some
sugar to my taste.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Peter Lawrence

Jan 18, 2010, 12:30:21 AM1/18/10
Geoff Miller wrote:

> I discovered a bourbon recently that's become a
> regular in my rotation: Bulleit. It comes in an
> old-style, round-shouldered bottle for $23-$25 a
> pop and and is billed as "frontier whiskey," what-
> ever that means. Like a number of premium bourbons,
> it's 90 proof.
>
> I don't know whether the name is pronounced "BULL-ite"
> or "BULLY-it,"

If it's a French-based name then it might be pronounced "BULLY-ae"

- Peter

Ciccio

Jan 18, 2010, 12:44:23 AM1/18/10
On Jan 17, 7:13 pm, geo...@lava.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

> I love bourbon, but with all due respect to the
> memory of the Chairman Of the Board, Jack Daniel's
> is vile.  I don't understand how or why that nasty
> stuff acquired the following that it has.  Blecch!

Not just the Chairman, but the "Great One" also. It was Jackie
Gleason, who was a JD fanatic, who first turned Sinatra on to JD.

Myself, I never was much into whiskey. I, however, over the years,
have tried many types of whiskey. During the single malt scotch fad in
the 90's I found some that were tasty. Though, nothing that really
grabbed me enough to be, even an occasional, whiskey drinker

Ciccio

Steve Pope

Jan 18, 2010, 1:07:23 AM1/18/10
Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

> Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> On Jan 17, 5:10�pm, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> > I don't think of JD as dry. �It's sort of sickly sweet
>> > in fact.

>Jack Daniels is a whisky. It has no sugar in it.

Yeah, I agree. It's a sweet impression, not sweetness
due to sugar. Something like rye seems more dry.

Steve

sf

Jan 18, 2010, 9:15:09 PM1/18/10
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:55:51 -0800 (PST), Ciccio
<franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

>when I tried Southern
>Comfort, that struck me as being sickly sweet.

Mix it with cranberry juice. I love that drink.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

sf

Jan 18, 2010, 9:17:04 PM1/18/10
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:10:51 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>Dry vermouth has much less sugar than sweet vermouth. It still has some
>sugar to my taste.

That's because it's made from grapes.

Eddie Dinel

Jan 20, 2010, 7:07:25 PM1/20/10
Geoff Miller <geo...@lava.net> writes:

>I discovered a bourbon recently that's become a
>regular in my rotation: Bulleit. It comes in an
>old-style, round-shouldered bottle for $23-$25 a
>pop and and is billed as "frontier whiskey," what-
>ever that means. Like a number of premium bourbons,
>it's 90 proof.

It's a bourbon, with a recipe that's about 150 years old.

>I don't know whether the name is pronounced "BULL-ite"
>or "BULLY-it," but it's good for sipping and makes a
>fine Manhattan. It isn't nearly as sweet as Maker's
>Mark. I enjoyed a splash over ice while relaxing next
>to the woodstove earlier this evening, in fact.

I met Tom Bulleit at a Whiskeys Of The World expo last year. Funny guy,
about 5 feet tall, but a complete firecracker kentucky boy (I think Meg
would say "from up in the holler"). He asked if he'd given us his sales
pitch. We said we were already fans, but he launched into it anyway:

"Please drink our whiskey. We think it's tasty."

He pronounced it "Bullit", and the mash bill & recipe was his family's from
well pre-prohibition days. His father had not continued to make it, so he
had to get permission from his grandfather (to hear Tom tell the
story--while he was on his deathbed) and it's got some barley in it, in
addition to the usual rye and corn.

I'm quite fond of it, as well. The empty bottles also make nice water
jugs.

--
| Eddie Dinel + "If people concentrated on the really |
| edinel...@solace.stanford.edu + important things in life, there'd |

evergene

Jan 20, 2010, 7:56:32 PM1/20/10
Eddie Dinel wrote:

>I met Tom Bulleit at a Whiskeys Of The World expo last year. Funny guy,
>about 5 feet tall, but a complete firecracker kentucky boy (I think Meg
>would say "from up in the holler"). He asked if he'd given us his sales
>pitch. We said we were already fans, but he launched into it anyway:
>
>"Please drink our whiskey. We think it's tasty."
>
>He pronounced it "Bullit", and the mash bill & recipe was his family's from
>well pre-prohibition days. His father had not continued to make it, so he
>had to get permission from his grandfather (to hear Tom tell the
>story--while he was on his deathbed) and it's got some barley in it, in
>addition to the usual rye and corn.
>
>I'm quite fond of it, as well. The empty bottles also make nice water
>jugs.

Thanks for that story - it wet my whistle. My go-to bourbon has been
Buffalo Trace (same price range as Bulleit), with occasional sips from
a bottle of Black Maple Hill, but it sounds like it's time to branch
out.