Pitt No 3

John Cairns

May 4, 2012, 9:02:49 PM5/4/12
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi I am new to this forum, My Grandfather and Great Grandfather both worked in a coal mine in or about Annbank from 1880-1920. They lived in Stair. I am looking for information about this mine known as No 3 Pitt.
I am writting a book on the history of a coal mine in New Zealand and would like to know more of his work before he came to NZ.
Thanks John.

john mcdougall

May 5, 2012, 5:31:21 PM5/5/12
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Number 3 pit was Mossblown near Annbank, I hope that this helps.

Helen Avery

May 6, 2012, 5:56:34 AM5/6/12
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi

My great uncle Denis Neeson worked at 3 Mossblown pit, he was killed in the mine on the 1 October 1913 the Register of Corrected Entries say he was killed in an accident by being crushed between a cage and the scaffold at the Pitmouth this was the verdict of the jury. He was 20 years old.

Sent from my iPhone

T Hunter and D Godfrey

May 5, 2012, 9:38:04 PM5/5/12
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
The best source of information, in general, about coal mining and miners lives, is Alan Campbell's The Lanarkshire Miners, which has many references to Ayrshire. And, of course, the miner's lives, work etc were very similar. You might find it in a large university library. Terri

Sandra Ancestry

May 5, 2012, 1:56:24 PM5/5/12
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
A good website is

Regards
Sandra

Sent from my iPad

John Cairns

Jul 16, 2012, 2:53:31 PM7/16/12
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks for that. 1959 was the year I started to work in a coal mine hear in NZ.
Aug 15, 2012, 12:55:46 AM8/15/12
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sorry I have been away for the past 3 weeks. I have not heard of auchencruive, I would appreciate any info on the mine, or the miners even an old photo would be great. Thanks.
Sep 19, 2012, 10:16:20 AM9/19/12
to Ayrshire History
hi, sorry about slow reply, mossblown pit was 2 and 3 shaft. annbank
pit was 9 and 10 drumley pit was 5, when pits were taken over 1947
they became achencruive 2-3 enterkine 9-10 drumley closed shaft fell
in. mossblown miners rows were called pole row and long row,over
railway line two rows were called new row and the cottages. i lived at
number 31 long row they were pulled down in 1956, if you look ayrshire
mining villages 1890 they never change till they pull them down,water
was a outside pump shared by 12 houses, elec.was supplyed by
colliery.....
have you checked stair parish church records on internet you may find
out lots more and its free.......allmerros