read xlsx

Paul Danese

Jun 12, 2012, 8:42:17 PM6/12/12
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to read an existing xlsx document using this gem?

The gem seems absolutely wonderful for writing an xlsx file, but I'm wondering if it's possible to read/modify an existing file with this gem.

Thanks!

randym

Jun 12, 2012, 9:01:01 PM6/12/12
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I haven't gotten quite that far yet.
I have basic parsing in the pipeline for version 2.0.0 that I would like to release in August, but for now just writing.

Any and all help from the community is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Best

randym

Joe

Sep 6, 2012, 5:33:19 AM9/6/12
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

Is the ability to read supported in axlsx, would it support the ability to read excel sheets with VBA code.

Thanks,
Joe

randym

Sep 6, 2012, 5:56:39 AM9/6/12
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

RE: parsing:

This is still a ways out. (as you can see from my previous comment, I am quite a bit past August as well...)
I was hoping to secure a grant so that I could take a leave of absence from work and complete this, however it did not work out. Would you be interested in helping to develop parsing?

RE: VBA code is something that is not covered in the specification. However it is possible. This article has an easy to follow C# example that shows which content types and relationships are needed, and packaging conventions do allow for arbitrary (e.g. non-spec) parts to be added to your zipped xlsx package.

However - considering restrictions in Office regarding unsigned macros, getting XmlDigitalSignatures up and working is probably a requirement.

Best regards,

randym

randym

Sep 6, 2012, 6:01:56 AM9/6/12
to ax...@googlegroups.com

Miguel

Jan 22, 2014, 4:34:02 PM1/22/14
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

I know this is an old post, but did you get a chance to work on the read/edit functionality?

Regards,
Miguel