DR between two AWS Regions

linuxanoop

Sep 26, 2012, 3:18:35 AM9/26/12
to awsug-...@googlegroups.com
Creating a DR between two Regions in AWS. At the database layer using RDS SQL instances . Need to know what are the possible
ways to  copy data ( RDS Instance )from one region to another. Hope my question is clear.

andreas.chatzakis

Sep 26, 2012, 5:02:49 AM9/26/12
to awsug-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

RDS does not currently support multi-region replication (nor any type of replication outside the RDS context).
You can copy data by doing exports and imports which can be time consuming depending on your DB size.

If multi-AZ is really not good enough for your requirements (for most apps it is a very cost effective availability measure), it sounds like you would want to build your own setup on EC2 instances.
That would allow you to implement any type of replication scheme supported by your DB of choice (Master-Slave, Master-Master). but obviously it does come with extra data transfer costs and extra operational complexity.

What is your use-case? Would the DB instance on the remote region be just a passive instance for DR scenarios?
Or do you need to run read queries to that (or writes even)?

How large is the DB??

Andreas

Anoop Mohan

Sep 26, 2012, 5:46:59 AM9/26/12
to awsug-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your reply.

DR is in active passive mode.
Database is passive in another region. Data is about 300 gb. So replication to remote region is an issue. Thought of checking cloudopt.com as a solution. Or is there any workaround?

Andreas Chatzakis

Sep 26, 2012, 5:56:29 AM9/26/12
to awsug-...@googlegroups.com
I am not familiar with cloudopt but it certainly looks interesting.
Check if it works with RDS, otherwise a DB cluster running on EC2 instances would give you full control and the ability to implement what you are describing.

Andreas

Thomas Pliakas

Sep 26, 2012, 5:59:58 AM9/26/12
to awsug-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
  RDS Multi-AZ option if for availability zones and not for regions. Another issue that you have to explore is regarding performance and pricing.

You can check also this whitepaper (in case that you are not aware) http://aws.amazon.com/disaster-recovery-whitepaper/

Regards
Thomas

Anoop Mohan

Sep 28, 2012, 3:55:05 AM9/28/12
to awsug-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Thomas,

I believe import export is only for s3 and end. But here question is how can copy data from rds backup from one aws region to another aws region daily basis in a DR scenario.

Any help will be really appreciated.