Crestron Digital Media

Snow, George

Dec 16, 2010, 11:49:32 AM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com
Have any of you installed Crestron Digital Media? If so how expansive and plans for Digital Media (1 room or all future rooms)?

Success in using Crestron Digital Media? Downsides?

Unrelated question - VCRs any of you have an End of Life for them? Your plan for implementing EOL and timing? Plans in regards to them going forward?

Thanks,

-George

--
George Snow
AV Technology Coordinator

Philip J Nardangeli

Dec 16, 2010, 11:57:22 AM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

Hi George;

We have just completed two rooms at Brock U. and have plans for three more in the coming year.

It has become our standard for classrooms.

Phil

Colo, Bernard

Dec 16, 2010, 12:22:54 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

We installed four Crestron Digital Media classrooms this past summer… so far no problems.  Yes, it will be our default for future rooms.

As to VHS and VCR’s, EOL will arrive when my faculty no longer have tapes, the existing library sheds it’s oxide, or when ALL VHS titles are available on DVD, or via streaming.

Bernard Colo M. Ed., C.A.G.S., CTS

Director, Academic Media Services

Providence College

One Cunningham Square

Providence, RI 02918

Desk      401 865-2118

Cell        508 735-6829

Fax        401 865-1114

bc...@providence.edu

Wrinkle, Steven

Dec 16, 2010, 12:37:33 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

DM

We’ve looked deeply into Digital Media but have yet to touch it mainly because the products we are waiting for aren’t offered and the additional costs are too high.  For a simple classroom we want to see and MPS-100, 200 device that has DM included.  Right now in my opinion to add a DM there are too many extra products added to the AV design and we want to try to keep our rooms as standard as possible.  We hope that DM MPS device comes soon.

VHS

Starting the summer of 2008 in our refresh rooms we replaced DVD players with BluRay’s and kept the VCR’s in the rack.  As the VCRs die we remove them from the rack and update the code accordingly.  On our main campus we have become cart pushers again for people who really need to use VHS tapes.  It’s been a little of an annoyance for us but I think it’s getting in the professors heads that VHS is a dead media and they should move on.   No class wants to sit around and watch an old tube TV with a VHS when they have a projector installed the room.

After next the next 2 summers we should have removed VCR players all over campus and no longer support them. Carts and all.   I can’t wait. Ha.

___________________________________

Steven A. Wrinkle,  CTS

Sacred Heart University

Audio Visual Systems Team Supervisor

wrin...@sacredheart.edu

203-371-7877

Sacred Heart University REV 001.pdf

Elaine M Mello

Dec 16, 2010, 12:42:36 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

We had a new building go up this summer with 8 video conference enabled classrooms, all with Crestron DM.  It went live just at the start of classes this Fall, and the only hiccups have been in some DHCP issues from Mac presentations for the Tandberg recording back end.  There were no VCRs installed in the new building and AV brings a deck in when needed.

Elaine Mello, CTS
Distance Education & Streaming Operations Manager
MIT Libraries -  Academic Media Production Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue - Rm 10-337
Cambridge, MA 02139

    Tel:  617-452-2172
Mobile:  617-719-5279

Call me on Movi: emell...@amps.ms.mit.edu

liblogo

Dec 16, 2010, 1:24:09 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com
We’re installing DigitalMedia in two conference rooms (work starting this week), and also in our NOC control center.

Any future classroom system updates must include support for digital interfaces and HDCP, but we haven’t adopted anything as a standard yet. All our classrooms use Extron Medialink, which is still pretty solid, and we’re adamant about keeping the user-interfaces consistent. Since we can’t replace all our classrooms systems at once, that will influence our choices about how to handle digital signals.

We still own VCRs (and we hold a lot of doors open with them), but we don’t buy them anymore and don’t install them anywhere. All our classrooms have composite and s-video inputs but we probably won’t spend any money to keep them in place when we convert to digital signal transport, so they may start to go away at the next classroom refresh cycle. End-of-life will be when the last VCR dies, or we don’t have an input to connect them to. Fortunately don’t have a central VHS tape library.

Regards,
Harry

Harry Thomas
Academic & Media Systems
Naval Postgraduate School

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Dec 16, 2010, 1:37:13 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 16, 2010, at 11:49 AM, Snow, George wrote:

> Unrelated question - VCRs any of you have an End of Life for them? Your plan for implementing EOL and timing? Plans in regards to them going forward?

I haven't been able to implement anything just yet, but I have plans to EOL VHS. I had a mode switch go out on a deck last week, and found out that I can't get parts anymore, so implementation time is upon me.

My general plan is to start by removing VHS players from the classrooms, but since that will give me a sizable collection of working VHS decks, I'll come up with a connection kit so that we can quickly bring decks into classrooms when they are needed. The moment has come when if a deck breaks I can't fix it anymore, so the end is drawing very near. I'm hoping to start pulling decks this summer. Maybe I'll start with my easiest-to-service classrooms...

I can't make a clean break with VHS until either I don't have any machines left, or either all the tapes or all the professors stop working. Even then I'm sure there will be hold-outs. We got rid of VHS camcorders in 2006, and the arguments I made at that time apply double to VHS in general...

http://capital2.capital.edu/admin-staff/dalthoff/vhs.html
(the information is somewhat out of date; the camcorder transition was five years ago!)

If anybody has any advice for good ways to convince faculty to give up their VHS tapes, please let me know! I want to make it a Capital offense to play a VHS tape in class. 8-)

One of the things that is a bit of a stumbling block is materials that exist on VHS but not in other formats. My personal opinion is that if a faculty member owns a VHS tape, he should be able to copy that tape to DVD provided he *keeps* the original VHS tape. My personal opinion is that this would be a "fair use" of that material. I've asked for an opinion from our legal counsel, but I haven't got a response. Anybody here have an opinion on this?

Oh, my argument has also been that while I have the equipment to make such a copy, *I* do not have the legal right to make the copy. The instructor, as the licensee of the media, does. That's to keep me from spending my summer copying video tapes. 8-)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
VHS VCR executioner
Capital University, Columbus, Ohio

Timothy Cichos

Dec 16, 2010, 2:10:09 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

Have any of you installed Crestron Digital Media? If so how expansive and plans for Digital Media (1 room or all future rooms)?

Yes, we have been installing it in all installs since this summer. It is also our standard from here till the next big thing…..

Success in using Crestron Digital Media? Downsides?

Yes, now that I have been to DM Certification class. Only downside so far is cable management is very important. We have found even moving the rack causes some of the RJ connectors to lose connection.

Unrelated question - VCRs any of you have an End of Life for them? Your plan for implementing EOL and timing? Plans in regards to them going forward?

We do not install VCR’s any longer. We remove more of them every semester to check out as ‘loaners”. When they are all gone/broken, we are done.

Tim Cichos, CTS, DMC-E

A/V Systems Engineer

Technology Enhanced Learning Spaces

Office of Information Technologies

University of Notre Dame
115 DeBartolo Hall - Room 230
Notre Dame IN  46556
574.631.4854

tci...@nd.edu

AIM : TimNDOIT

Dec 16, 2010, 2:46:23 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

We did 21 classrooms this past summer and have been pretty happy and we’re doing 42 spaces to go online for the Spring.  It’s our standard go forward.  We’re putting a minimum of an 8 year life span on DM rooms.

It’s been pretty smooth sailing on the functionality end, just two hiccups.

class=MsoNormal>Mac Laptops don’t sync video when you go DVI/Mini-DisplayPort to VGA, but they work fine going DVI/Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI.   This meant we had to get new dongles and create a routing configuration which was Analog Audio & HDMI Video.

The second issue was we specified DGE-2 with V12 panel so we could do digital preview on the touchpanel in a couple of rooms.  Crestron has not shipped the DGE-2 and substituted the DVPHD and a DM-TX-100.  It works, but something just seems off with the setup.

&n lass=MsoNormal>Here’s a link to our standards document:

http://doit.gmu.edu/staffSection.asp?page=ucts

The architectural information is there, but public systems drawings are being worked on.  Hit me offline if you are interested and I probably scare something up.

As far as VCRs, they are still part of our baseline requirements.  We were going to use the Panasonic Blu-Ray/DVD before it was discontinued, but then opted for a JVC DVD-R/VHS that has an HDMI out.  We’ll probably end up skipping Blu-Ray entirely or treat it as an auxiliary source.  We haven’t gotten a single request yet for it.  For academia, I think digital download will be the most likely source post-DVD.

Matt

Matthew A. Silverman, CTS, PMP

Manager, Learning Space Design

Division of Instructional Technology (DoIT)

George Mason University

(703) 993-3444, msil...@gmu.edu

Have any of you installed Crestron Digital Media? If so how expansive and plans for Digital Media (1 room or all future rooms)?

Success in using Crestron Digital Media? Downsides?

Unrelated question - VCRs any of you have an End of Life for them? Your plan for implementing EOL and timing? Plans in regards to them going forward?

o:p>

Thanks,

-George

--
George Snow
AV Technology Coordinator

To post t o li...@av-1.org

fwarren

Dec 16, 2010, 3:19:50 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com
Have any of you installed Crestron Digital Media? If so how expansive and plans for Digital Media (1 room or all future rooms)?
We did 5 rooms last summer kind of as a test and probably will do more.

Success in using Crestron Digital Media? Downsides?
Systems work pretty well.  In hindsight I would not have pulled out my VGA cable run to the projector.  On our old systems, if we had a major hardware failure we could always easily hardwire the instructor PC directly to the projector and keep that functionality up until repairs could be made.  Like someone said in a previous string, it’s smart to have more than one pathway to your display.  The other problem we had was that the EDID info was not passing between the instructor PC and the projector so we could not set the instructor PC display to the desired WXGA resolution.  We found a work around but I have been told that this was because the integrator had not correctly configured the Crestron DM equipment.  Tim Cichos just mentioned DM Certification class.  I would like to know more about this.  It sounds like a “must have” for me and my crew.

Unrelated question - VCRs any of you have an End of Life for them? Your plan for implementing EOL and timing? Plans in regards to them going forward?
We do not install VCR’s in any new or upgraded systems.  We still maintain analog aux inputs on all systems so we can plug in VCR’s when needed.  We sometimes lock a VCR to an instructor console for the semester if they need it for every class.  We hang onto every VCR that is removed until every one can live without them. (If that time ever comes).

--
Frank Warren, CTS
Media Services Manager

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Dec 16, 2010, 4:56:59 PM12/16/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 16, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Timothy Cichos wrote:

>> Unrelated question - VCRs any of you have an End of Life for them? Your plan for implementing EOL and timing? Plans in regards to them going forward?

> We do not install VCR’s any longer. We remove more of them every semester to check out as ‘loaners”. When they are all gone/broken, we are done.

So do you instruct those accepting VCRs on return from loan to be sure to drop each one before putting it back on the shelf? 8-)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
"VHS is dead dammit! Long live VHS!"
Capital University, Columbus, Ohio

Graul, Leslie B.

Dec 17, 2010, 9:55:27 AM12/17/10
to av...@googlegroups.com
The Smart classrooms that were installed here late last summer do not have VHS players or DVD players, and those in the original Smart classrooms are getting old. A laptop with a DVD drive is the only player provided in the new rooms. When the faculty complained, our boss announced that we would digitize their VHS tapes for them. He interprets fair use to include changing formats when the original format can no longer work with existing equipment. (As long as the individual is not using both items).

Well, I am not so sure that everyone interprets the law that way. But we are following the directive. First we check to see if the item can be purchased in DVD format. We have purchased some of the titles, and shared the costs of purchasing the more costly ones with the instructors' departments, adding them to our Media Library for use by any interested faculty at the college.

If a digital version is not readily available, we will digitize the original. However, we are not putting any creative effort into the copy. Whether we use a VHS to DVD unit or capture the video and export it as a digital file (DVD or wmv), we are not editing it to make it more user-friendly, as a new DVD would be. We are not putting in chapter markings or title menus. The most we will do is to allow the machine to put in chapters every 5 or 10 minutes.

We label the digital product as a duplicate (ORIGINAL IS IN ARCHIVES), and we label the original as ARCHIVAL. Naturally, we have had to refuse to digitize those items that instructors have copied or taped off-air, unless they can provide adequate written permission to do so.

The result is merely a way to enable instructors to continue to use the media they'd purchased for their classes. It is less convenient for them to use. You cannot quickly and easily locate a specific spot in the resultant DVD with a DVD player. It is easier with Windows Media Player.

We also will loan a VHS to DVD unit to faculty who want to do their own conversions. This unit is labeled with large copyright notices, saying that use is restricted to making one copy of a legally obtained video for educational purposes.

Leslie B. Graul
Director, Instructional Media Services
Thiel College
75 College Avenue
Greenville, PA 16125
724-589-2853

Information Technology will never ask for your account information and/or password through an e-mail message.
Never divulge any personal information through unsecured email messages.

To post to this list, send email to li...@av-1.org

winmail.dat

Wrinkle, Steven

Apr 19, 2011, 8:49:18 AM4/19/11
to av...@googlegroups.com

To bring this thread up again. Has anyone has success with adding one digital input to an existing system?

In the very near future we only need to support a digital laptop. Down the road we’ll need support more digital inputs but for now it’s only one.

I’m looking for alternatives to Crestron DM because I’m not very pleased with the products for classrooms.  In my opinion they are overpriced. A 8x8 is overkill and a 6x1 is just a poorly designed model.

Any luck with Extron HDMI extenders?

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=hdmi201txrx&subtype=360&s=3

any Gefen products or something else?

___________________________________

Steven A. Wrinkle,  CTS

Sacred Heart University

Audio Visual Systems Team Supervisor

wrin...@sacredheart.edu

203-371-7877

Apr 19, 2011, 9:06:36 AM4/19/11
to av...@googlegroups.com

I’ve had great luck with the Crestron 8x1 HDMI switcher with an Extron HDMI extender to the projector.  Couple that with an MPC-M10 or 25 and you have a room system.  I’ve actually tried to use the Extron HDMI switchers but I have really bad timing I guess.  Every time I order they are always back ordered with no known delivery date and I end up buying Geffens to get the project done on time. There are a few features the Crestron HDMI switcher has that others don’t seem to have at the lower end.  You can do audio breakaway, you can see signal details through ToolBox and it has a network jack.

_________________________________

Michael Rhoadarmer

Media Systems Manager, Wheaton College

501 College Ave, Wheaton, IL 60187

630-752-5171 Phone

michael.r...@wheaton.edu

Jim Pierret

Apr 19, 2011, 10:30:31 AM4/19/11
to av...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

We are using Kramer VP-730 scaler/switchers. 2 Universal (composite, s-video or component), 4 VGA, 2 HDMI and 1 USB. Output is up to 1920 x 1200 either VGA or HDMI. Picture quality is great. RS232 controllable. Price is $1,200. Not sure how that compares to Crestron since we are an AMX shop. I wish it had more HDMI ports. And I think the USB is unnecessary.

Our summer installs we will generally be installing:
  • One dual boot Mac mini VGA (using a mini-display to VGA dongle)
  • One Document Camera - VGA
  • One Laptop port VGA
  • One Laptop port - Mini-display port to HDMI
  • One BlueRay player HDMI
  • One Auxiliary composite input - universal port.
For newer system where we are installing 16 x 10 screens we will output 1920 x 1200. In rooms where we are doing upgrade and have a 4 x 3 screen we don't want to replace, we will downscale to 1024 x 768.

Jim

--
Jim Pierret
Presentation Technologies Specialist

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride, ~John F. Kennedy

Larson, Kelly J.

Apr 19, 2011, 10:55:37 AM4/19/11
to av...@googlegroups.com

Jim,  on your Kramer Switcher  , what is the switching time lag like?  2-3 seconds for a switch or longer?  This sounds like a promising idea,  that tied to an HDMI extender would work great.  Do you have plans on any dual projector rooms?

Kelly Larson

Instructional Technologies /

      Infrastructure Services

St. Cloud State University

St. Cloud, MN

320-308-5260

Jim Pierret

Apr 19, 2011, 12:36:16 PM4/19/11
to av...@googlegroups.com
Kelley,

The switching is pretty quick - 2-3 seconds, 5 at the most. We did install a couple last year with 35ft HDMI cables straight to the projector no extenders needed. I currently do not have any dual projection rooms in the works.

Jim

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Apr 19, 2011, 2:31:03 PM4/19/11
to <av-1@googlegroups.com>
Steven,

I agree the DM solution is pricey, but if you compare it feature for feature it's not as expensive as it first seems, although you might be buying features you don't need. The DM transmitter provides connection for analog audio, VGA, and HDMI with digital audio, and you can adapt to display port or DVI sources. If you get 8G, you get the benefit  of pulling a single unterminated cable that can also be repaired in the field (if you buy a fairly expensive termination kit....but it still beats unrepairable!).  Extron offers 200-ft HDMI cables (and they aren't petite) for about 1/3 the cost of a DM TX/RX solution, and a bit less than the Extron TX/RX pair you refer to (which has a 100ft limit over Cat5). But if your display can't break out the audio and you need to go to an external sound system you still need a black box.

We recently used DM to add a digital input to our auditorium systems where conduit was limited and adding cables or pulling pre-terminated cable wasn't an option. We used the DM transmitter to take the RGBHV output from our existing analog scaler, and added an HDMI cable at the lectern, so everything is DM 8G up to the projection booth. I'd rather still have the analog cable living there, but there was no room in the conduit. We had to use an HDMI DA to break out the audio to the sound system because the RMCs available at the time did not do audio breakout. But now there is a model that actually includes a 30watt amplifier and audio line out.

Harry

Harry Thomas
Academic Media Systems
Naval Postgraduate School

Krey, Conner

Apr 19, 2011, 3:00:06 PM4/19/11
to av...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

We started using the Kramer VP-728 about 16 months ago and then switched to the VP-730 last summer when it started shipping. We use ours very similar to how you use yours.

1. Do you switch audio through yours? We've had a few instances where audio stops working and we have to reset the Kramer. Any similar experiences?
2. $1,200 is a good price for the VP-730. That was our price for the VP-728, but our price went up several hundred when we switched to the 730. Maybe I should beat up on my integrator a little bit.

Conner Krey
Technology Project Manager
Baylor University

From: Jim Pierret <jpie...@carleton.edu<mailto:jpie...@carleton.edu>>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:36:16 -0500
To: "av...@googlegroups.com<mailto:av...@googlegroups.com>" <av...@googlegroups.com<mailto:av...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: Re: [av-1] RE: Crestron Digital Media

________________________________
[...]

wrin...@sacredheart.edu<mailto:wrin...@sacredheart.edu>
203-371-7877

[...]

fwa...@chapman.edu<about:blank>

Jim Pierret

Apr 19, 2011, 3:49:13 PM4/19/11
to av...@googlegroups.com
Conner,

1. We switch some of the audio through the Kramer. I had one instance earlier this year that sounds similar to your experience.
2. We actually haven't purchased any VP-730s just the VP-728 and 729. We will be switching to the 730 this summer. I was just assume the price would be about the same. So, don't beat up you integrator too bad.

Jim

Wrinkle, Steven

Apr 19, 2011, 4:11:48 PM4/19/11
to av...@googlegroups.com
Anyone hear of Key Digital products? http://www.keydigital.com/

One of my vendors mentioned it and has me wondering if it could be useful.

This digital stuff is making my head explode. Thanks for the replies.