Revisiting circular dependencies

Kendall Bennett

Sep 21, 2014, 7:51:13 PM9/21/14
to aut...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I last discussed this, but I thought it was time I merged the latest Autofac code into my tree and moved it all to GitHub. We are now using Git internally so it was easy to get this going, and I patched in all my changes into the code base and submitted it to my fork on GitHub. I have now created a pull request for it here:

Can we discuss these changes and work out a way to get the features we need into the upstream code base? I don't mind if I have to activate this with an option or something, but I really need the circular dependencies  to work correctly in the versions I can pull from NuGet, as so many new packages we are using rely on Autofac (or have Autofac intergration). Hence maintaining our version is becoming rather difficult.

Regards,

Kendall Bennett
CEO & Co-Founder
www.AMain.com | 530-894-0797 | 800-705-2215
424 Otterson Drive, Chico, California 95928

Kendall Bennett

Travis Illig

Sep 22, 2014, 1:05:35 PM9/22/14
to aut...@googlegroups.com, kend...@amain.com
I've added some comments to the pull request; I think Alex needs to check it out, too, since it's a bit of an API change. If possible, it'd be nice to put specific comments about the PR there so it's easier to correlate.

I don't have any objection to improving the circular dependency handling as long as it doesn't break folks. That's what I'm most worried about when we change stuff at this level - breaking existing people or introducing unexpected behavior (e.g., a property getting populated with something now when it wasn't populated before).

You have asked about figuring out which version of the code corresponds to a version of the released NuGet package and unfortunately the answer is the same - there's not a good way to do that given our repo structure and there is not currently a plan to change the structure.

Kendall Bennett

Sep 22, 2014, 3:10:03 PM9/22/14
to Travis Illig, aut...@googlegroups.com
Hi Travis,

On Sep 22, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Travis Illig <travis...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've added some comments to the pull request; I think Alex needs to check it out, too, since it's a bit of an API change. If possible, it'd be nice to put specific comments about the PR there so it's easier to correlate.

Yep. I put my comments there.

I don't have any objection to improving the circular dependency handling as long as it doesn't break folks. That's what I'm most worried about when we change stuff at this level - breaking existing people or introducing unexpected behavior (e.g., a property getting populated with something now when it wasn't populated before).

Yes, I recall that was the main issue last time we discussed this. I am perfectly fine making this an option that needs to be enabled to get the new support in 3.x, and perhaps make it the default in 4.x when people would expect potential breaking changes?