GeneriCADD 5.0 conversion to ACAD

Brian Foreman

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Anyone try converting a old GeneriCADD 5.0 dwg file into AutoCAD format? Won't open in r14. Anyone
have any suggestions?

Brian Foreman
Broadcast Sports Technology

Supernews User

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
I used to use GCAD regularly but have forgotten many of the details. Do you
still have GCAD running so you can call the drawings back there and resave
in another format. Didn't it also save in DXF. Also, for a while, Generic
used dwg extensions for Generic drawings. Are you sure you have the right
format?

-**** Posted from Supernews, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
http://www.supernews.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet

Bruce P. Card

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Brian

I believe that you will need the DXF utility for Generic Cadd, unless you can
pass it through Generic Cadd 6 which will export to, or save as (I have
forgotten which) an R12 dwg format.

Kim Doubek

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Brian - Several years ago I supported Generic CADD and use to know the
program very well. GenCADD 5.0 used a separate conversion program called
autoconvert 5.0 which would export a DXF file in r11/r12 format. The file
extension for the GenCADD 5.0 drawing files was *.DWG which is not the same
format as an AutoCAD *.DWG. This was confusing and when GenCADD 6 came out
the drawing file extension was changed to *.GCD. The files are the same
basic format and GenCADD 5 *.DWG files can be renamed (i.e. c:>REN *.DWG
*.GCD) at a dos prompt to *.GCD and opened in GenCADD 6. GenCADD 6 shipped
with autoconvert included and that was one of the features of the program.
It might be easier to find a GenCADD 6 copy to covert the file as opposed
to autoconvert 5.

I have a copy of GenCADD 6.1.5, which was the last release. If you have any
problems converting the file let me know and I can convert it for you.

Regards,

--
Kim D
Product Support, US