MFC Modal Dialogs in ObjectARX

Bruce Sellers

Feb 20, 2003, 8:37:29 AM2/20/03
I am desiring to place "Modal Dialogs" on the "front end" of each of several
commands
that I have already developed in ObjectARX.

I wish to achieve the following:
1. A user issues an already loaded ARX command.
2. That command gathers some global data from say Xrecord already set.
(This data
is used for some defaults for the fields in the dialog box which is
next to appear)
3. That command brings up a model dialog box appears. (Defaults populated
by step 2).
4. The user places data input in the dialog and user clicks "OK".
5. The data fields which need to be stored globally are created or updated
as Xrecords.
6. The dialog box closes and disappears.
7. The ARX command does it function or function as originally designed.
8. The ARX command which was issued originally and which "bought up" the
dialog
finishes.

I am using text based input prompts currently.
I would like to remove many of these unnecessary text based prompts and have
a reasonable interface - a single modal dialog box.

I am using AutoCAD2000 with 2000 ObjectARX SDK.

My question is this. Is there a simple procedure or process to learn those
steps and only
those steps involved above.
(I think I can handle dictionaries, Xrecords, etc.)
(I know I can handle all command driven other stuff - entity objects etc.)
What I have little to no experience on is MFC. I am not sure I want a lot
of experience.
I know I want modal dialogue boxes-
to adjoin them to an ARX built command.
to layout out the resource - fields. (I can do this a little bit)
to set even C or C++ data structures with the values obtained from the
dialog fields.

I do want something like a cookbook approach to this one MFC area rather
than a general knowledge of MFC. Is this possible. Is there a well
documented
step by step procedure (but general enough to cover what I desire) available
somewhere?

I do have very elementary familiarity with ClassWizard and AppWizard.
I do not have any familiary with the ObjectARX ClassWizard.

Thank you in advance,
Bruce Sellers

Stephen Preston (Autodesk)

Feb 20, 2003, 9:09:25 AM2/20/03
I don't have a ready written recipe for you, but here are a few pointers to
additional information.

The ObjectARX Wizard will help you generate your MFC dialogs (there's an MFC
support button).
There is a section in the ObjectARX Developer's Guide on 'MFC Topics'.
There are some ObjectARX books listed on amazon that might include details
of MFC. For example, I know that Charles McAuley's book has some chapters on
implementing dialogs using ObjectARX's MFC classes, and has some nice (and
relatively simple to understand) samples on the accompanying CD.

However, you'll definitely benefit most if you take some time out (even just
a day or so) to learn a bit of MFC first. (Cookbooks are fine until your
sauce starts to go lumpy :-)

Cheers,

Stephen Preston
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk

.
"Bruce Sellers" <bsel...@bnin.net> wrote in message

Bruce Sellers

Feb 20, 2003, 10:45:47 AM2/20/03
Stephen,

I would like to make some lumpy sauce first!
Ha!
Any receipes for lumpy sauce?

Bruce

Stephen Preston (Autodesk) <discu...@autodesk.com> wrote in message

Stephen Preston

Feb 20, 2003, 1:09:25 PM2/20/03
:-D

Did you look in the ARX Devguide - there's a section under 'MFC Topics'
called 'Using AdUi and AcUi with VC++ AppWizard'. These pages include a
simple tutorial on how to do it. Once you've done that, try installing the
ARX Wizard, creating an MFC ARX project, and then clicking the MFC support
button (the one with the 'building blocks' logo on it). Then you'll get an
idea of what the ARX Wizard can help you with.

Cheers,

Stephen

"Bruce Sellers" <bsel...@bnin.net> wrote in message

BR

Feb 21, 2003, 4:56:12 AM2/21/03
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:37:29 -0800, "Bruce Sellers"
<bsel...@bnin.net> wrote:

>I am desiring to place "Modal Dialogs" on the "front end" of each of several
>commands

Ransen's ObjectARX course has a chapter on this.
See the demo:

http://www.ransen.com/cadcourse/cadcourse.htm

http://www.ransen.com/cad/
CAD programs, education and consulting

Bruce Sellers

Feb 21, 2003, 8:05:18 AM2/21/03
Stephen,

Thanks, the first several times I would like it to be a bit "mechanical"
and only partially instructive.

Bruce

Stephen Preston <discu...@autodesk.com> wrote in message

BLAHUNKA Zoltan

Mar 24, 2003, 6:05:12 PM3/24/03
Hy,

Try to modify the sample application in ObjectARX:

docsamps\mfcsamps\acuisample

It knows everythink you need, also Stephen recommended this topic too from
ObjectARX Developer's Guide.

Zoltan

"Bruce Sellers" <bsel...@bnin.net> az alábbiakat írta a következo
üzenetben: news:C9845E322DEEA42E...@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...