Acad Xdata crashes AutoCAD

Luis Esquivel

Jan 27, 2003, 9:40:43 AM1/27/03
I did the test using:

Windows XP Pro
AutoCAD 2000i

And did several times and no error is showing.

#L

"Stephan Koster" <ste...@cadworks.de> wrote in message
> AutoCAD 2000i, NT 4 - SP6
>
> Hi,
>
> last week I had some crashes. I tried to see why and
> it seems to me that it is caused by Acad Xdata.
>
> Attached is an example drawing to show the crash.
> It contains a block 'A' (the circle), inserted on
> layer 'Layer1', and a block 'B' containing the two
> arcs on layer 'B$0$Layer1'. The two arcs have the
> following Xdata attached to them:
> (-3 ("ACAD" (1000 . "ASC_BOUNDS")(1002 . "{")(1070 . 19)(1005 . "0")(1002
. "}")))

> What I want to do is to change the layer of the two
> arcs from 'B$0$Layer1' to 'Layer1'.
>
> To see the crash:
> - set 'sdi' to 1
> - open the drawing
> - load the attached lisp (which changes the layer of the arcs)
> - save the drawing
> - open it again
> -> Acad crashes with the message
> '!U:\global\src\coreacad\CORESRC\scandr.cpp@772: ePermanentlyErased'
>
> If the xdata is removed before the change of the layer,
> then everything seems to be fine.
>
> Question: Does anybody know what this Xdata is for?
> Maybe knowing this can help to resolve the problem.
>
> Stephan

Jason Piercey

Jan 27, 2003, 10:02:53 AM1/27/03
Oh!

A2K2
Win2k Pro.

--

-Jason
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

> I tried it as well, and did not crash.

Jason Piercey

Jan 27, 2003, 9:56:04 AM1/27/03
Hi Stephan,

I tried it as well, and did not crash.

--

-Jason
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

> To see the crash:

Doug Broad

Jan 27, 2003, 11:19:26 AM1/27/03
AutoCAD 2002 AD3.3 NT 4.0 SP6.0

I couldn't get it to crash. Perhaps there are reactors attached
and we are missing the parent application. Does your package
include Land Desktop or something similar from Adesk?

If there are persistent reactors, it could be a problem with
re-initializing the reactors. Just a wild guess.

HTH

Stephan Koster

Jan 27, 2003, 11:15:12 AM1/27/03
Luis,

I tried here on several machines with different OS
(WinNT, Win2k and WinXP). Always crashes.
I am running plain AutoCAD, nothing else loaded.
Jason has A2K2, so maybe it is fixed there.
But you have A2Ki as well, I don't know why the
doesn't show at your machine.

Stephan

Stephan Koster

Jan 27, 2003, 6:41:37 PM1/27/03
Doug,

no reactors, no parent application, just plain
AutoCAD 2000i, nothing else loaded. I tested it on
customers machines with different OS (WinNT, Win2K, WinXP)
and different versions of AutoCAD (2000, 2000i and 2002),
and it crashed everywhere. The AutoCAD versions behave
different, with AutoCAD 2000 it will crash immediately,
with the other two it crashes when trying to open the
drawing again, but it crashes in every configuration
I tried.

Stephan

Doug Broad

Jan 27, 2003, 8:08:06 PM1/27/03
Hi Stephan,
I tried this at my home office, since my system is so customized
that it doesn't make a good test platform.
1. Saved your test.dwg to my desktop
2. Created an empty acad.lsp and acaddoc.lsp on the desktop.
3. Removed the path to the express tools.
4. Removed all applications from the startup suite in appload.
5. Set up only ACAD.MNU as the menu.
6. Set SDI to 1.
7. Closed ACAD.
8. Launched acad by clicking on your drawing
9. Loaded the test.lsp
10. Saved the drawing and closed acad.
11. Opened the drawing and all was fine.
12. Asked for xdata on one arc.

(entget(car(nentsel))(list "*"))

Select object: ((-1 . <Entity name: 40088868>) (0 . "ARC") (330 . <Entity name:
40088860>) (5 . "11E65") (100 . "AcDbEntity") (67 . 0) (8 . "Layer1") (100 .
"AcDbCircle") (10 21364.9 1523.64 0.0) (40 . 0.0214293) (210 0.0 0.0 1.0) (100
. "AcDbArc") (50 . 2.4848) (51 . 4.4262) (-3 ("ACAD" (1000 . "ASC_BOUNDS")
(1002 . "{") (1070 . 19) (1005 . "0") (1002 . "}"))))

ACAD 2002, Win98, Arch Desktop 3.3

Couldn't get it to crash.
Could it be something in your:
acad.lsp, acaddoc.lsp, acad.mnl, ..... appload startup suite,....registry....

Out of ideas.

Luis Esquivel

Jan 27, 2003, 8:14:57 PM1/27/03
Stephan,

I tested under R14 and runs ok, have you check the help file under SCANDR
error messages? there you will fin the information related to:

a.. Internal Error: !SCANDR.CC@804: ePermanentlyErased
b.. SCANDR 10: Undetermined complex entity recovery required
c.. !scandr.cc@804:eWasNotNotifying

Stephan Koster

Jan 28, 2003, 5:15:17 PM1/28/03
Thank you all for testing. Seems strange to me that
you all cannot recreate the crash, I tried it with

different OS (WinNT, Win2K, WinXP) and different
AutoCAD versions (R14, A2K, A2Ki and A2K2). Doesn't
crash with R14, but with all other configurations.

I cannot imagine that my configuration causes the
crash, I unloaded everything and started Acad without
any menu, still the same behaviour.

Anyway, I removed the Acad ASC_BOUNDS Xdata in all
drawings where I've found it.

The question is still what this Xdata is for?
Maybe something from R14?

Stephan

John Uhden

Jan 28, 2003, 8:53:32 PM1/28/03
Stephan:
We all owe you a bunch, so I've searched my hard drive and found the following
occurrences of "ASC_BOUNDS":
Land Desktop R1 (R14.01)
match.arx
acad.exe
Land Desktop R2i (R15.05)
acmatch.arx
acad.exe
acrefed.arx
Land Desktop R3 (R15.06)
acmatch.arx
acad.exe
acrefed.arx
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared
acdb15.dll

Plus I found references in five (5) .DWGs dating back to 1997,1998, all AC1009
(R12).
Knowing that these files were/are all probably associated with either Land
Desktop or its predecessor, Softdesk, I gather that association is the problem.
Sorry, I don't have R12 or R13 installed anywhere to search their program files.
:/

So perhaps it makes sense that I had no problem opening your drawing and running
test.lsp in LDD3.
I wonder if its an international version problem.

Anyway, I'd say that's conclusive enough to pinpoint Autodesk itself, that is by
virtue of their having bought Softdesk contemporaneously to the advent of R14.

Too bad I don't know its purpose.

--
John Uhden, Cadlantic/formerly CADvantage
http://www.cadlantic.com

"Stephan Koster" <Stephan...@web.de> wrote in message

Stephan Koster

Jan 31, 2003, 8:28:57 AM1/31/03
John Uhden wrote:

> Knowing that these files were/are all probably associated with either Land
> Desktop or its predecessor, Softdesk, I gather that association is the problem.
> Sorry, I don't have R12 or R13 installed anywhere to search their program files.
> :/

I don't know if it's associated with Land Desktop. I think it has something to

do with hatches, maybe from R12. But on the other hand I searched some of our old
R12 drawings for 'asc_bounds', but couldn't find it. So maybe you are right.

> So perhaps it makes sense that I had no problem opening your drawing and running
> test.lsp in LDD3.

That would be an explanation, but the others in the group also had no problems
and they don't have LDD.

> I wonder if its an international version problem.

I don't think so, I've never heard of a bug that only appears in an
international version.

Stephan

Ruul Morawetz

Jan 31, 2003, 8:45:32 AM1/31/03
Stephan Koster schrieb:
<..>

>> I wonder if its an international version problem.
>

> I don't think so, I've never heard of a bug that only appears in an
> international version.

here's one:

BATTMAN (2002, not Expresstool) in the _german_ version changes the
color of the attribute when edited. e.g. from bylayer to the color of
the inserted reference.

don't know about other languages, but the english works fine.

ruul

John Uhden

Jan 31, 2003, 8:56:33 AM1/31/03
Okay. So do as I did and use Windows' Search to find any files containing
"ASC_BOUNDS" and see if you get a list similar to mine. That might indicate
whether it's a LDD thing or not.

--
John Uhden, Cadlantic/formerly CADvantage
http://www.cadlantic.com
Sea Girt, NJ

"Stephan Koster" <ste...@cadworks.de> wrote in message

Stephan Koster

Jan 31, 2003, 9:20:32 AM1/31/03
John Uhden wrote:

> Okay. So do as I did and use Windows' Search to find any files containing
> "ASC_BOUNDS" and see if you get a list similar to mine. That might indicate
> whether it's a LDD thing or not.

Yes, I'm getting a similar list:

AutoCAD 2000i, Acadver = 15.05s, _vernum = U.1.81

Files containing "ASC_BOUNDS" in the acad directory:
acmatch.arx
acrefed.arx
acad.exe
in the migration\convert folder:
convert.exe
in the Autodesk Shared folder:
acdb15.dll

Stephan

John Uhden

Stephan Koster

Jan 31, 2003, 10:05:47 AM1/31/03
John Uhden wrote:

> Well, then I give. You might seriously have to consider reinstalling. I had to
> recently. The repair-install just wan't sticking.

I'll try that. But the problem appears on every machine here,
not only on one computer...

Stephan

Stephan Koster

Jan 31, 2003, 10:12:08 AM1/31/03
Ruul Morawetz wrote:

Ok, I'll rephrase that: I've never heard of a fundamental bug,
one that crashes AutoCAD, which only appears in the international
or only in a national version of AutoCAD.

Stephan

John Uhden

Jan 31, 2003, 10:26:35 AM1/31/03
Hmmm. Then I guess you had better embellish your code to strip the Xdata first,
then modify the layer. Looking back at your test.lsp, I see you're using the
abbreviated version of (entmod) which should be okay with ARCs, but maybe the
longer version is required when attacking Xdata at the same time, or...
(and
(entmod
(setq ent (entget (handent "11e65")'("ACAD")))
(subst '(-3 ("ACAD"))(assoc -3 ent) ent)
)
(entmod
(setq ent (entget (handent "11e65")))
(subst '(8 . "Layer1")(assoc 8 ent) ent)
)
)

Just groping to help.

--
John Uhden, Cadlantic/formerly CADvantage
http://www.cadlantic.com
Sea Girt, NJ

"Stephan Koster" <ste...@cadworks.de> wrote in message

Stephan Koster

Jan 31, 2003, 4:24:56 PM1/31/03
John Uhden wrote:

> Hmmm. Then I guess you had better embellish your code to strip the Xdata first,
> then modify the layer. Looking back at your test.lsp, I see you're using the
> abbreviated version of (entmod) which should be okay with ARCs, but maybe the
> longer version is required when attacking Xdata at the same time, or...

I do not attack Xdata, I only want to change the layer.
Using the 'longer' version of entmod gives the same crash.
But I tried to change the layer with ActiveX and the crash is
gone. Strange!
I will think about to change that part of my code to ActiveX.

Stephan

John Uhden