new member and revitalize network?

gary.flo

Mar 23, 2015, 12:40:23 AM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
Louise Crabtree kindly invited me to join this network.  It looks like it has not been active since 2011.  I want to introduce myself and give you an update.  I have been a 10 year resident/owner in the Champlain Housing Trust in Burlington, VT.  I owned a 2BR limited-equity coop apartment and now own a 2BR shared-equity condominium.  Last September I move to Brisbane to become a PhD student at UQ. My background is in public finance and ecological economics, and I worked in those fields for 10 years at the University of Vermont.  See:
http://www.uvm.edu/giee/?Page=flomenhoft.html

I believe that land prices and housing are nearly catastrophic in Australia and the situation is much worse than the US, where housing is still somewhat affordable in many places.  I am devoting my spare time to promoting Community Land Trusts, and recently presented a poster (attached) at the QSHelter conference in Brisbane.  Out of that I made contact with some folks from Connect Housing/MRHC (Mackay Regional Housing Company) who have 2 possible CLT sites.  I have attached a draft presentation providing some background on the Champlain Housing Trust.  In order to spread the word, it might be a good idea to create a publicly accessible website where people could get information, and make the Autralian CLT Network official like the one in US or UK:
http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/home
http://cltnetwork.org/

Anyway, I'm pleased to read about your efforts, and hope we can move this forward.  I was encouraged to find out that 150 CLTs were formed in Uk in the last 8 years.

Best wishes,

Gary Flomenhoft, BSME, MPP, Cert. Eco-Econ
gary...@uvm.edu
mobile 04 3898 4818
CLT-poster3.pptx
ChamplainHousingTrust2.pptx

Eileen Webb

Mar 23, 2015, 6:13:44 AM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Gary,

Thank you so much for getting in touch. I am very interested in CLT and their potential to provide opportunities for affordable housing here in Western Australia.

Would you have time to have a telephone/skype chat sometime?

Best wishes,

Eileen

Dr Eileen Webb

Professor

Faculty of Law

35 Stirling Highway | Crawley WA 6009 | Australia

Tel: +618 6488 2947 | Fax: +618 6488 1045

eilee...@uwa.edu.au | www.uwa.edu.au/people/eileen webb

cid:image001.jpg@01CE0854.A41E7E60

weldo

Mar 23, 2015, 6:31:26 PM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes good to see some enthusiasm for the Community Land Trust Network and, more, specifically, getting a website going to promote that.  This group was probably a bit "closed" to be of much benefit I am thinking!  Anyway, I will support moves in any direction that get Community Land Trusts onto the public radar more than they are now :-)
I live at Tasman Ecovillage in Tasmania (www.tasmanecovillage.org.au) and we are in partnership with UWS (Louise Crabtree and her research team) to be one of four Case Studies to implement "CLT manual - Phase One".
Early stages yet!
Regards,
Karen

Jima

Mar 23, 2015, 6:31:26 PM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Aussie CLT People,
It is great to know that you are out there... I have recently become interested in the possibility of a CLT in Northern Tasmania, and I am very keen to meet others who may also wish to progress this option. I have been in touch with Karen at the Tasman Ecovillage in the South of the state, where they are starting the first CLT (and only, so far?) in Tas. How do I get the word out to other Tasmanians?
Jem

Jemima Cooper

Mar 23, 2015, 6:52:53 PM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen,
Would you be willing to work together on a small display for the Sustainable Living Fair/ Expo in Hobart (usually held in November)?
Hope all is going well,
Jemima

Debra Rodrigues

Mar 23, 2015, 7:18:47 PM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, Graham Bates

Dear CLT friends across Australia,

Great to have your support Gary and wonderful that the group is active again.

In Newcastle we have land and approved DA (in perpetuity) for a CLT project within a proposed ecologically designed settlement of 21 units (not yet built).

Our steering committee is taking two routes – 1. Conventional banking for development finance to create maximum profit (to then donate to social housing) and 2. Community sector finance/microfinance to create as many CLT titles as possible within the project.

It is a bit of a friendly race to see which way is quicker as we have a long list of low income households including large refugee families in desperate need of secure tenure. Our problem is the roads and infrastructure have to go in first so expenditure comes before any income - hence our struggle to get development finance in any significant quantity. Any input from this CLT brain’s trust is greatly needed so any suggestions please help! Happy if you post here or contact us via our Facebook site

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Newcastle-Urban-EcoVillage/446899655351838

Debra Rodrigues

Elizabeth Blades-Hamilton

Mar 23, 2015, 8:28:19 PM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, Graham Bates
Thank you to Gary for reigniting the CLT debate here. Your comment about the 'catastrophic' state of the Australian housing market is wholly accurate.

Debra's issue is not uncommon. To understand why the situation is so dire, submissions to the Senate Economic Reference Committee Inquiry into Affordable Housing shine light on all of the issues impacting housing markets in Australia. This Reference Committee was due to report by 26 June 2014 and the date has been pushed out three times with a report now due 14 April 2015.

On 12 December 2013, the Senate referred an inquiry into affordable housing to the Senate Economics References Committee for inquiry and report by 26 June 2014.

Following a further extension granted on 2 March 2015, the committee is now due to report by 14 April 2015.

Submissions closed on 25 March 2014http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Economics/Affordable_housing_2013

I would recommend Saul Eslake's submission "Australian Housing Policy: 50 Years of Failure" (attached).

There is much that could be done, political will notwithstanding. The website idea is a good one and I like the poster graphic, easy to follow for those for whom CLT is a new concept. A FaceBook page would be good to begin to gain wider interest, education and awareness. CLT needs a groundswell that has been lacking here.

Wishing you all the very best, Elizabeth

Saul Eslake Submission 2013 to Housing Inquiry.pdf

hugo moline

Mar 23, 2015, 9:24:59 PM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, Graham Bates
Hi everyone,

Great to hear about all these development bringing CLTs to fruition across the country!

I'm currently doing a design-based research project using participatory architecture to generate affordable housing alternatives. I'm keen to find a real project to design as part of this investigation.

I've previously designed multi-unit cooperatives and secondary dwellings, with strong involvement of tenant/members, which can be seen here.

If you have a project which needs some design input please get in touch. I'd be keen to discuss any possibilities to assist.

Cheers,

Hugo Moline

M A P A

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Debra Rodrigues <debra...@bigpond.com> wrote:

--
Hugo Moline.

the lot

m. 0423 137 619

e. hu...@thelot.net.au

Eileen Webb

Mar 23, 2015, 10:39:31 PM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, Graham Bates
HiEveryone,

I am really glad this group has popped up again. I have been busy looking at security of tenure for older people in marginal accommodation. A big problem is lack of long term tenure as people age. CLT schemes look very promising (great work by UWS on the legal issues). ShelterWA has been looking at this too. Please keep the comments coming! Also if you have had experiences with CLT schemes with older people I would love to hear about them.

Best wishes,

Eileen

http://mapa.net.au/project/kapitbahayan-housing-cooperative/

http://mapa.net.au/project/driveway-house/

If you have a project which needs some design input please get in touch. I'd be keen to discuss any possibilities to assist.

Cheers,

Hugo Moline

M A P A

+61 (0)4 23 137 619
hu...@mapa.net.au<mailto:hu...@thelot.net.au>
www.mapa.net.au<http://www.thelot.net.au/>

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 3:40:23 PM UTC+11, gary.flo wrote:
[...]

gary...@uvm.edu<mailto:gary...@uvm.edu>
mobile 04 3898 4818

________________________________
[http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png] <http://www.avast.com/>

Hugo Moline.

the lot

m. 0423 137 619

e. hu...@thelot.net.au<mailto:hu...@thelot.net.au>

Jemima Cooper

Mar 23, 2015, 10:39:49 PM3/23/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gary,
Is it ok to freely use the material you have posted when I am talking to people?
cheers,
Jemima

Gary Flomenhoft

Mar 24, 2015, 1:10:22 AM3/24/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Elizabeth,
Thank you for the feedback and the Eslake essay. He sums up the
problem that no one ever lost an election by increasing house prices.
Prosper Australia has explained the problem for years. See:
http://realestate4ransom.com/

I like the CLT approach because it doesn't depend on politicians.

Please keep in touch.

Gary

Quoting Elizabeth Blades-Hamilton <blad...@gmail.com>:

> Thank you to Gary for reigniting the CLT debate here. Your comment about
> the 'catastrophic' state of the Australian housing market is wholly
> accurate.
>
> Debra's issue is not uncommon. To understand why the situation is so dire,
> submissions to the Senate Economic Reference Committee Inquiry into
> Affordable Housing shine light on all of the issues impacting housing
> markets in Australia. This Reference Committee was due to report by 26 June
> 2014 and the date has been pushed out three times with a report now due 14
> April 2015.
>
> On 12 December 2013, the Senate referred an inquiry into affordable housing
> to the Senate Economics References Committee for inquiry and report by 26
> June 2014.
>
> Following a further extension granted on 2 March 2015, the committee is now
> due to report by *14 April 2015*.
>
> Submissions closed on *25 March 2014*.

Gary Flomenhoft, BSME, MPP, CEE
Affiliate Fellow, Gund Institute for Ecological Economics
508-237-4012 mobile

Gary Flomenhoft

Mar 24, 2015, 1:10:29 AM3/24/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's why I sent it. Feel free to use.
Gary
> Groups "Australian CLT Network" group.
> send an email to australian-clt-ne...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/australian-clt-network.

cornelis

Apr 27, 2015, 11:17:40 PM4/27/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary ,

Great stuff on the slideshow.

Can you get CHT by-laws onto a doc for us to inspect and amend for Australia? I see CHT uses Institute for Community Economics as a model. We have a similar legal structure but not exactly the same.

cheers, Kees.

Louise C

Apr 27, 2015, 11:29:52 PM4/27/15
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kees

The Australian CLT Manual has a template constitution in it that might be relevant. The PDF is attached, and the constitution is in the appendices. I have also attached the US model by-laws.

The US CLT Network has a lot of legal resources online at http://cltnetwork.org/2011-clt-technical-manual/ but bear in mind their land and property law is different to ours, so unless you are operating under Residential Park legislation (i.e., caravan parks) you cannot legally separate fixtures from land. Long term leases and co-ownership can be made to operate in effectively the same manner, which is why those are the models presented in the Manual. Strata can also be used to mirror CLT operations. The core issue in deciding which legal agreement and titling to use, is to make sure the rights and responsibilities are clearly articulated, including the pricing mechanism.

Gary may have some other US examples of by-laws as well.

cheers
Louise
Australian CLT Manual.pdf
US_model_bylaws.pdf

Gary Flomenhoft

May 4, 2015, 1:17:21 AM5/4/15
to australian-clt-network
Cornelis,
The clearest way to move forward is perhaps provided by Attourney
Derek Mortimer in this document. It resolves some of the issues in
the CLT manual, and explains the Australian context.

Best wishes,
Gary
Australian Community Land Trust leases- the legal principles December 2012.pdf

Gary Flomenhoft

Nov 17, 2015, 6:02:13 PM11/17/15
to Louise C, australian-clt-network, Andrew Paul
Dear Louise and Oz CLT network,
We are making progress on a shared equity contract for CLTs in
Australia that will be acceptable to financiers. We based some of it
on the (Vermont) Champlain Housing Trust since that is where we have
contacts that have given us detailed feedback. The legal team of the
bank says the language is too much in American legal language, and has
to be converted to Australian legalese.

We are looking for a solicitor who can do this work pro-bono or give
us a reasonable quote. We already contacted Derek Mortimer, and he is
not interested. Does anyone know a solicitor who might be interested?

Thanks a lot!

Gary and Andrew
> --

Gary Flomenhoft, BSME, MPP, CEE
Affiliate Fellow, Gund Institute for Ecological Economics
PHD Candidate, Sustainable Mining Institute, U of Queensland
Brisbane, Australia
04 3898 4818 mobile

Gary Flomenhoft

Nov 17, 2015, 6:02:19 PM11/17/15
to Louise Crabtree, australian-clt-network, Andrew Paul
Hi Louise,
Yes, we are using a shared-equity deed that is already in use, but it
required substantial modification to accommodate CLT. Maybe someone
on the network knows a solicitor?

Thanks,
Gary

Quoting Louise Crabtree <L.Cra...@westernsydney.edu.au>:

> Hi Gary
>
> I don't have any contacts regarding solicitors. The co-ownership
> deed in the CLT manual was based on a shared equity deed from WA
> that is already in use, so might be more palatable to Australian
> lenders.
>
> Cheers
> Louise
>
> Dr Louise Crabtree | Senior Research Fellow
> Institute for Culture and Society
> P: 02 9685 9646<tel:02%209685%209646> | M: 0420 946 186<tel:0420%20946%20186>
>
> westernsydney.edu.au<http://westernsydney.edu.au>
>
> On 17 Nov 2015, at 4:53 AM, Gary Flomenhoft
> australian-clt-ne...@googlegroups.com<mailto:australian-clt-ne...@googlegroups.com>.
> To post to this group, send email to
> australian-...@googlegroups.com<mailto:australian-...@googlegroups.com>.

Gary Flomenhoft

Oct 26, 2016, 11:12:04 PM10/26/16
to australian-clt-network, Andrew Goodwin, Olenka Motyka, Louise C, Andrew Paul, Karl Fitzgerald, Catherine Cashmore, Bob Corker

Dear Friends of Community Land Trusts,

Sorry for the long delay, but we've been working hard at it for the past year.  Our last request to you was to find a solicitor to rewrite the CLT legal documents for Australia.  We appreciated all your suggestions. Thanks to numerous recommendations we were able to connect with the Queensland Public Interest Law Clearing House Inc:  http://www.qpilch.org.au/

Due to a brilliant application by Andrew Paul, they put us in touch with an international legal firm which worked pro bono. They took the CLT documents that Andrew and I adapted over a period of months from US sources into Australian legal language and requirements.  As a result our banking partner approved them recently for use in financing CLT resident mortgages.  We feel that this has been the missing link.

I recently attended the National CLT conference in the US and received substantial training on shared equity CLTs and organizational financing and sustainability:

http://groundedsolutions.org/conference/intersections-2016/

Andrew Paul and I are offering our services to the housing community as consultants to help set up CLTs in Australia.  We have a new website at:

http://communitylandtrust.com.au/

It will be updated with pages for Government, CHPs, Banks, and Households in the near future.

We would like to get this information out to any communities that have been in the process of forming CLTs in Australia (or NZ), and provide the services they need to move forward.  If you have the contact info for these nascent CLTs please pass it on.  We look forward to hearing from you and getting some CLTs off the ground in the near future!

Sincerely,

Gary Flomenhoft

CLT Associates

From: "Olenka Motyka" <len...@gmail.com>
Date: 25/11/2015 1:04 PM
To: "Andrew Goodwin" <andrew.r...@gmail.com>

Hi Andy,

My boss suggests they approach Justice Connect which had a Not For Profit service which connects not for profit organizations with pro bono legal services. It might be best if the Australian CLT network approaches as an organization, rather than an individual with the query.

Hope that helps.

Olenka

On 23 Nov 2015, at 8:19 PM, Andrew Goodwin <andrew.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi olenka,

As below, some random is looking for a solicitor type to change some language from American legalese to Australian legalese for a shared equity contract for use in a community land trust.

I think community land trusts are the bomb (hence why im on the mailing list) and am wondering if you know someone who might be able to help through your networks?  Is it the kind of thing that might get picked up through community legal support? Or could your work give a cut price quote?

Anyway, please forward on or keen to chat otherwise.

Thanks
Andrew

Krisee Oliver

Nov 2, 2016, 12:51:53 AM11/2/16
to australian-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks ....  very much interested

Gary Flomenhoft

Nov 2, 2016, 9:21:12 PM11/2/16
to australian-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Krisee,

Please let us know how we can help.  See:

http://communitylandtrust.com.au/

Regards,

Gary

May 14, 2017, 7:25:46 PM5/14/17
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone !

Been out of the loop as I moved to Mullumbimby and had a baby. Ops. Sooo wanting to get back involved as it is such an important project.

Would someone be kind enough to provide an update as to where we are with respect to having CLTs in Oz, specifically interested win NSW & Qld but really want to see it take health root everywhere.

There are many community minded, well connected and active folk up here in the Byron Shire, however may are
just baffled by the housing crisis.

Would love o hear what is current and find a way that I can lend assistance.

Much love and kind regards

Sophia

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/australian-clt-network.

Gary Flomenhoft

May 14, 2017, 7:48:17 PM5/14/17
to australian-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sophie,

We recently attended a housing conference in Byron, and there was interest and some commitment by city government.  Council member Paul Spooner in particular showed interest.  Feel free to contact him. They made some verbal commitments to CLTS but nothing concrete.  What is lacking is a group of citizens who want to push this forward in Byronshire.

Most of the latest CLT info can be found on our links page at:

http://communitylandtrust.com.au/index.php/links/

There are 2 forming in Victoria

We are in process of forming a CLT in Logan, QLD.  See:

https://www.facebook.com/Logan-CLT-288869541547080/

We have multiple groups interested in forming a CLT on the Sunshine Coast and we are headed up there tomorrow.

Please get in touch if you need further info.

Thanks for your interest.

Gary Flomenhoft

CLT Associates

May 14, 2017, 7:51:06 PM5/14/17
to australian-...@googlegroups.com

BTW,

IMHO the reason housing is so baffling is because it is a market failure, and everyone keeps trying to solve it with the market.  That is like trying to put out a fire by spraying more gasoline on it.  But our society has a market fundamentalist religion.

Gary

Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 9:36:39 PM

Gary Flomenhoft

May 15, 2017, 3:30:51 AM5/15/17
to australian-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sophie,

Good timing.  Please let us know how it goes.  I'm going out of town for awhile, but you can reach Andrew anytime at 0433 253 248.

Gary