Perth - Esperance - Kalgoorlie - Perth: Part 1

Sam Laybutt

May 3, 2011, 9:22:02 AM5/3/11
to aussie highways
Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in another email, I took advantage of the extended easter break to take some time off and explore rural WA. The route of the trip was basically SR40 - NR1 - NH94 - Alt-NR94 into Kalgoorlie, then back to Perth via NH94.

I'm intending to get some pages for a few of the routes I travelled up on Ozroads in the near future (time permitting of course!) but in the meantime, I thought I'd share some photos with you all. These are generally photos that involve some good facepalm action, don't quite fit on the site or won't be there for a while. Due to the number of photos I'll split it into two emails.

The first photo is on the Brookton Highway at Brookton, where there's a short SR40/SR120 duplex. TW (Tourist Way, not Tourist Drive) 356 runs along SR120 from Beverley to Cranbrook (I think) so is also common to this section. Here we have an innocent looking trailblazer, albeit partially hidden behind a tree. So what's the problem? Well, this is located about 400m from the eastern intersection of SR40/SR120, where SR120 and therefore TW356 both make a left turn to head north. For some strange reason this trailblazer is located in advance of a junction where a turn needs to be made, but even more stupid is that at the junction there is no mention of TW356 whatsoever! One wonders about the logic of this arrangement and also the point of the route seeing as it follows SR120 for its entire length.
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_7735.jpg

State Route 40 extends from Perth to Ravensthorpe, passing through Brookton, Corrigin, Hyden and Lake King. Up until recently there were a number of single-lane sealed sections - Paul has some photos on his site from his trip out to Hyden in 2008. These days it is a good two-lane sealed road the whole way, and the large number of right-angle turns between Brookton and Kondonin are gradually being eased to remove triangular junctions and make the bends safe for 110km/h travel.

Main Roads consider the entire route to be the Brookton Highway as per their classifications under the Main Roads Act 1930. However, Landgate - the geographic place names authority in WA - often have gazetted road names used for property addresses which don't match the Main Roads classifications. Good examples are Chesterpass Road (Landgate) and South Coast Highway (Main Roads) on the eastern approach to Albany, or Great Southern Highway (Landgate) and Northam-Cranbrook Road (MRWA). This situation is also evident on Brookton Highway - as I saw at this junction between Brookton and Corrigin.
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_7816.jpg
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_7825.jpg
Generally road name signs are not plentiful in this area but this use of two conflicting road names on the same approach, at the same junction (both approaches had the same treatment - the photos I took were from the two different approaches) is quite unusual, and confusing. It is possible that the green signs are remnants from before a fairly recently name change?

SR40 passes through Corrigin but does not enter the town centre proper. Here's a few photos of the town centre (Walton and Campbell Streets).
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_7837.jpg
(note this is a service road arrangement, not a divided carriageway)
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_7839.jpg
(photos taken on Easter Sunday, hence nothing being open)

In Kondonin, there is still a Golden Fleece branded service station and diner. Here's a photo for the petrol station enthusiasts :)
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_7926.jpg
We ate lunch there. Unfortunately the service was terrible - really unfriendly - and the food wasn't great either. Not much choice on Easter Sunday in tiny rural WA towns!

Just east of the Wave Rock turnoff near Hyden, SR40 makes a right turn to head towards Lake King. If you go straight ahead you end up on a nearly 300km long gravel road which leads to Norseman. Apparently these days it is navigable in a 2WD vehicle although it is still pretty remote. I suspect that it may have been earmarked as NR98 at some point in history, which would explain why I saw a NR98 shield on Brookton Highway in an old Explore Australia directory. Here's the road conditions signs looking east from SR40.
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8044.jpg

Proper ID signs are not exactly plentiful in rural WA, let alone on local authority roads. Here's a nice black ID sign on the Hyden-Norseman Road about 1km west of Wave Rock.
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8054.jpg

By the way, I thought Wave Rock was really underwhelming! The view from the top of the rock is really good though, helped by a rainbow appearing :)

Between Hyden and Lake King, SR40 crosses the Holland Track (http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/SouthCoast/Holland_Track.aspx), where I found this unusual sign
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8075.jpg

As far as direction signage goes along SR40, it is well below standard. Unfortunately lots of new signs have been erected in recent years which have had near zero thought put into them - either incorrect/who gives a f*ck/she'll be right designs, missing route shields or no consideration of the route as a whole. For example, despite being probably the most direct route from Perth to Esperance, Esperance is not mentioned on a single RD sign until Lake King. Quite often there will only be one or two destinations on the sign which refer to the next two towns along the route. At one location there isn't even a single direction sign despite SR40 making a left turn! You'll see more of what I mean once I've added SR40 to the site...

However, despite all my issues with the signage on SR40, they'd have to do well to beat this facepalm I found on SR107 in Lake King:
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8139.jpg

The terrible spacings on this sign are indicative of what I was referring to with the "who gives a f*ck/she'll be right" design attitude and, well, the faceplam just tops it off. Fortunately all other signs in the Lake King are at least accurate so one should not miss the turn onto SR107...

Fugly, at the end of SR40 near Ravensthorpe....
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8191.jpg

But not as bad as this lot in Ravensthorpe!
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8236.jpg
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8244.jpg

http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8255.jpg

In the last photo, note this stupid design which actually states that SR1 only goes left. The sign should not be two panels. Unfortunately this error is quite prevalent in this state...

Munglingup is the only 'town' of any description in the 190km between Ravensthorpe and Esperance - it is basically a small roadhouse and about 20 houses, just off the highway
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8319.jpg

Esperance was fantastic - I will definitely go back if I get the chance. Whilst the town centre could be a little nicer, it makes up for it with its stunning bayside setting and the amazing beaches both along the twilight beach area and east of Esperance in Cape Le Grand National Park. Roadgeek-wise, there's still a couple of old signs around town...

Black signs at the main roundabout where Norseman Road/Harbour Road (Coolgardie-Esperance Highway) and Fisheries Road meet on the northern edge of town:
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8373.jpg
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8439.jpg

This one is on Goldfields Road at Daw Drive
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8468.jpg

Norseman Rd/Goldfields Rd intersection
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8603.jpg

A couple to the south of town:
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8565.jpg
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8556.jpg
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8545.jpg

TW358 was originally called 'Esperance Tourist Way' but appears to have been recently upgraded to Tourist Drive status and is now called 'Great Ocean Drive' (sigh...)
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8559.jpg

The tourist drive does provide some spectacular views along the coast to the southwest of Esperance and is a must drive if you are visiting! IMO it is best done an hour or so before sunset... I'll have some more photos put up the site in the future.

The road from Esperance out to Condingup (a tiny tiny townsite, about 65km east of Esperance) is really good quality - similar to SR40. It serves a large forestry and dairying area which I suppose explains the road quality - it can also be used as an alternative route to the Eyre Highway if you have a 4WD. It also provides access to the spectacular Cape Le Grand National Park.

Strange RD/AD combination chow mein heading east from Esperance

http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8625.jpg

Here's a nice dodgy old black sign at Condingup - the townsite is located just off the main road to avoid having through traffic pass through the main street (it was only established in 1965)
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8632.jpg

Warning sign about the road conditions east of Condingup - access to both Cape Arid NP and the Eyre Highway at Balladonia requires a 4WD
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8635.jpg

The tavern in what passes as the main street of Condingup
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8643.jpg

Heading south from Condingup takes you to Duke of Orleans Bay where there's a caravan park and not much else. If this were rural Tassie, this road would probably be a C route and then I'd include it on the site ;)
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0898.jpg
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0905.jpg
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0917.jpg

That's all for Part 1 - the next installment will cover Esperance to Kalgoorlie and then Perth.

Hope you enjoyed!

Sam

humehwy31

May 3, 2011, 10:19:07 AM5/3/11
to Aussie Highways
Thanks for the roadtrip report, Sam. Good to see that the Sunshine
State isn't the only state good at roadsign facepalms!

On May 3, 11:22 pm, Sam Laybutt <crazyknights...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Warning sign about the road conditions east of Condingup - access to both Cape Arid NP and the Eyre Highway at Balladonia requires a 4WDhttp://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8635.jpg
>
> The tavern in what passes as the main street of Condinguphttp://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8643.jpg
>
> Heading south from Condingup takes you to Duke of Orleans Bay where there's a caravan park and not much else. If this were rural Tassie, this road would probably be a C route and then I'd include it on the site ;)http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0898.jpghttp://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0905.jpghttp://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0917.jpg

Phillip McCallum

May 3, 2011, 5:05:32 PM5/3/11
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Great to read your report Sam!  Thanks for posting.  I haven’t spent enough time in this part of the world – indeed I have not been to Esperance since the days of passengering in my parent’s car.  Cross-country Hyden to Norseman sounds like fun!  By the way, I think you have to interpret Wave Rock in context – it is the most exciting feature for a very long way...

Phillip

Michael Greenslade

May 3, 2011, 10:24:47 PM5/3/11
to Aussie Highways
Hi Sam,

Thanks for posting - good report. The distance sign with the large
spacing reminds me of the many new ones intalled in QLD. Looks
horrible.

Like the scenery around the Duke of Orleans Bay. From the photos you
have supplied and what Paul has previously shown, the wheat belt
regions of WA really are fairy uninteresting. No wonder that Wave Rock
is a standout :-)

Look forward to part 2.

Cheers,
Michael

> [...]
>
> Warning sign about the road conditions east of Condingup - access to both Cape Arid NP and the Eyre Highway at Balladonia requires a 4WDhttp://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8635.jpg
>
> The tavern in what passes as the main street of Condinguphttp://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8643.jpg
>
> Heading south from Condingup takes you to Duke of Orleans Bay where there's a caravan park and not much else. If this were rural Tassie, this road would probably be a C route and then I'd include it on the site ;)http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0898.jpghttp://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0905.jpghttp://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/DSC_0917.jpg

Sam Laybutt

May 3, 2011, 10:45:45 PM5/3/11
to aussie highways
Thanks for the comments guys.

I suppose Wave Rock is quite interesting given the surroundings but I did expect it to be a little more impressive...

The wheatbelt areas generally are not particularly interesting, scenery wise, although the afternoon colours can be fantastic if you like your pastel yellow fields and deep blue skies.

The drive from Esperance to Kalgoorlie and then to Merredin was even less interesting, scenery-wise, with not much other than red earth and hostile looking scrubland for much of the way.

I should have time to get Part 2 up tonight...

> Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 19:24:47 -0700
> Subject: [Aussie Highways] Re: Perth - Esperance - Kalgoorlie - Perth: Part 1
> From: kr...@hotkey.net.au
> To: aussie-...@googlegroups.com

Paul Rands

May 4, 2011, 2:01:59 AM5/4/11
to aussie-...@googlegroups.com
Sam, I see you found the amazing WA scenery. It's one of the most spectacular places I have been to.

Nice black sign finds, even if some were dud council jobs.

I also see you found the SR1 signs in Ravensthorpe. I remember driving past the one in the CBD and thinking to myself Sam would shit if he saw that sign :P

Also good to see you and I will have a point of difference on our sites with WA photos, much of your's from the email are opposite direction to what I managed to get.

--
Paul Rands
paul...@gmail.com

prenshaw

May 5, 2011, 7:43:51 AM5/5/11
to Aussie Highways
Hey Sam - I hope you weren't the "Tourist Waste" mentioned in
http://www.ozroads.com.au/misc/esperance_trip/IMG_8632.jpg !!

Peter