A Question for Sylvia Else - Physics experiment

Kulin Remailer

Jan 28, 2012, 11:16:36 PM1/28/12
Wow dude, I'm really getting into the science stuff.

I'm wondering if you'd help me conduct two experiments.

Schrödinger's cat

Double-slit experiment

Thanks a bunch!

Brad

Jan 29, 2012, 12:37:53 AM1/29/12
Schrodinger's cat has been dead for decades. One less mystery in the world.

Sylvia Else

Jan 29, 2012, 1:15:24 AM1/29/12
On 29/01/2012 3:16 PM, Kulin Remailer wrote:
> Wow dude, I'm really getting into the science stuff.
>

> I'm wondering if you'd help me conduct two experiments.
>

> Schrödinger's cat

This experiment involves a cat, a box, two mazes, a mouse, and a trigger
the releases the mouse into one or other of the mazes depending on the
result of a quantum measurement.

The idea is that after the mouse is released into one of the mazes, the
cat observes it, but until we open the box, we don't know which maze the
mouse entered, and thus what the cat saw. So until then, quantum
mechanics says that the system is in a quantum superposition with the
mouse going down both mazes, and the cat seeing both outcomes.

The expectation is that when we open the box, the waveform collapses,
resulting in the mouse having entered only one maze. The philosophical
issue then arises as to whether cat remembers having seen the other
possibility (even though it didn't occur), or whether the cat's memory
has been altered by the collapse.

However, whenever the experiment is performed, it always yields a null
result. The mouse has always unexpectedly disappeared completely, and
the cat isn't talking. This is why the Schrödinger's cat is called a
"though experiment" - the outcome is never what we thought it was going
to be.

> Double-slit experiment

You just perform the single slit experiment first, and extrapolate.

Sylvia.

Kelpie

Jan 29, 2012, 2:16:39 AM1/29/12
I think he just wants to check out your slit, and your pussy.

Wolfgang Wildeblood

Jan 29, 2012, 3:43:33 AM1/29/12
On Jan 29, 2:15 pm, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:

> Schrödinger's cat
>
> This experiment involves a cat, a box, two mazes, a mouse, and a trigger
> the releases the mouse into one or other of the mazes depending on the
> result of a quantum measurement.
>
> The idea is that after the mouse is released into one of the mazes, the
> cat observes it, but until we open the box, we don't know which maze the
> mouse entered, and thus what the cat saw. So until then, quantum
> mechanics says that the system is in a quantum superposition with the
> mouse going down both mazes, and the cat seeing both outcomes.
>
> The expectation is that when we open the box, the waveform collapses,
> resulting in the mouse having entered only one maze. The philosophical
> issue then arises as to whether cat remembers having seen the other
> possibility (even though it didn't occur), or whether the cat's memory
> has been altered by the collapse.
>
> However, whenever the experiment is performed, it always yields a null
> result. The mouse has always unexpectedly disappeared completely, and
> the cat isn't talking. This is why the Schrödinger's cat is called a
> "though experiment" - the outcome is never what we thought it was going
> to be.

Though it might have been thought otherwise.