Vale Tony Gordon. Killed today in Brisbane

Scobie

Jan 28, 2001, 1:22:34 AM1/28/01
I have sad news that Tony Gordon was killed today doing what he loved a
lot...flying...

He was doing some stunt aerobatics near Brisbane.

sad...but true...

min

Jan 28, 2001, 4:14:09 AM1/28/01

"Scobie" <ro...@mail.host> wrote in message

I've got to concentrate...concentrate... concentrate... I've got to
concentrate... concentrate... concentrate... Hello?... hello... hello...
Echo... echo... echo... Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota...
Mota... Mota...

David Hutchison

Jan 28, 2001, 5:36:15 AM1/28/01

Channel Seven in Brisbane (BTQ) did a full obituary for him on tonight's
news, which closed on his last TV appearance -- a segment on stunt-flying
for The Great South East, which aired only last week.
Admittedly it was the first news article I had heard all day that had
revealed it was Tony Gordon, long-term BTQ/Seven Network personality, who
was involved in this incident. Yet there is also precedent for an obituary
like tonight's in Brisbane at least -- Ten (TVQ) also did a similar type of
obituary when their helicopter pilot was killed while returning to Mount
Coot-Tha not too many months ago.

DAVID HUTCHISON | runc...@powerup.com.au | ICQ: 21118669
Brisbane, Australia -- host city of the 2001 Goodwill Games

Evan Davis

Jan 28, 2001, 6:55:27 AM1/28/01
He used to be a presenter on Wombat

This website may jog some memories.
http://www.creektocoast.com.au/c2c/the_team/tony.asp

Evan :'-<

"Dean Hollister" <de...@mushka.cx> wrote in message

> "David Hutchison" <runc...@powerup.com.au> writes:
>
> >Channel Seven in Brisbane (BTQ) did a full obituary for him on tonight's
> >news, which closed on his last TV appearance -- a segment on stunt-flying
> >for The Great South East, which aired only last week.
>

> They touched on it here [Perth] as well. No one here knows who he was...
>
> Regards,
>
> d.

Dan Martin

Jan 28, 2001, 7:01:56 AM1/28/01
he was also responsible for many of the announcing of radio adverts here in
Brisbane. he was seen throughout the network on wombat and rewind on the
seven net in the late eighties.

Dean Hollister <de...@mushka.cx> wrote in message
> "David Hutchison" <runc...@powerup.com.au> writes:
>

> >Channel Seven in Brisbane (BTQ) did a full obituary for him on tonight's
> >news, which closed on his last TV appearance -- a segment on stunt-flying
> >for The Great South East, which aired only last week.

liam phillips

Jan 28, 2001, 10:06:51 PM1/28/01

Dean Hollister wrote in message <3a74...@news.wa.apana.org.au>...
>Evan Davis <edth...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks. I still don't remember who he was. What era was Wombat shown?
>1990's, 80's?

Wombat was classic 80's fare. Started about 85 I suppose, lasted a few
years. It had those twins on it who later went onto Neighbours I think, and
(surprise surprise) tried their hand at a UK single. Also had Bob La Castra
(that his name?) who later hosted 'The Big Square Eye' for ABC (LOL at
memory of that show). Let's see who else....I believe (could be wrong) this
is where Agro started? There was also this british guy I think who used to
dress up like Sherlock Holmes and do a five minute child friendly
'whodunnit' segment, and would always seem to be telling everyone to wear a
bike helmet.

Ummm, that's about all I can remember, I'm sure other aus.tvers could fill
you in better.

Liam

Dan Martin

Jan 28, 2001, 11:16:31 PM1/28/01
wombat started in 1979 and went national in 1985 (as did agro). The last
show went to air in November 1989.it won many logie awards. The welsh guy is
Eric summons and did a detective summons routine. he was also the man behind
Boris the balck night which was only on channel 7 Brisbane and ran from 1976
to 1989. it was on 6 mornings a week when it finished. agro started around
178/79 and Jamie Dunn took over his voice in 1980 on the "seven's super
Saturday show" which he did until the early nineties. it went national in
1988 with the advent of satellite t.v and networking.
liam phillips <liam...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Trevor Gensch

Jan 28, 2001, 11:28:32 PM1/28/01
On 28 Jan 2001 20:08:38 +0800, Dean Hollister <de...@mushka.cx> gushed
forth these words from their keyboard and spake unto aus.tv the
following:

>I feel for the folk in Brissie. The memory of Ken Mosedale's death (the
>Perth pilot who crashed in QLD after taking off from Perth airport) is
>still pretty fresh. :-(

Oh yeah, I'm still taking his death pretty hard. Finding it difficult
to sleep at night.

--
Trev.

"Space: 1999 got it a bit wrong really. They thought that in 1999 we'd
all be up in space, when really all we did was wear jeans and buy sandwiches
from shops"
AUS.TV, AUS.FILMS & AUS.DVD Stats - who's posting what and when - http://web.one.net.au/~trevorgensch/stats.htm

Trevor Gensch

Jan 28, 2001, 11:30:39 PM1/28/01
On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:36:15 +1000, "David Hutchison"
<runc...@powerup.com.au> gushed forth these words from their keyboard

and spake unto aus.tv the following:

>Channel Seven in Brisbane (BTQ) did a full obituary for him on tonight's
>news, which closed on his last TV appearance -- a segment on stunt-flying
>for The Great South East, which aired only last week.
> Admittedly it was the first news article I had heard all day that had
>revealed it was Tony Gordon, long-term BTQ/Seven Network personality, who
>was involved in this incident. Yet there is also precedent for an obituary
>like tonight's in Brisbane at least

I am having hard time understanding what you mean by 'a precedent' for
an obituary. Does there need to be one?

Dan Martin

Jan 29, 2001, 12:55:12 AM1/29/01
why do you have to be so trivial???
Trevor Gensch <tre...@consultant.com> wrote in message

Trevor Gensch

Jan 29, 2001, 1:08:46 AM1/29/01
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:55:12 +1000, "Dan Martin"
<danm...@hotmail.com> gushed forth these words from their keyboard

and spake unto aus.tv the following:

>why do you have to be so trivial???

<shrug> passes the time I suppose.

David Hutchison

Jan 29, 2001, 3:54:22 AM1/29/01
"David Hutchison" <runc...@powerup.com.au> wrote:
| > Admittedly it was the first news article I had heard all day that
had
| >revealed it was Tony Gordon, long-term BTQ/Seven Network personality,
who
| >was involved in this incident. Yet there is also precedent for an
obituary
| >like tonight's in Brisbane at least

"Trevor Gensch" <tre...@consultant.com> wrote:
| I am having hard time understanding what you mean by 'a precedent' for
| an obituary. Does there need to be one?

Only in the respect of a station allocating news bulletin airtime for what
basically turned out as a farewell to a friend -- that's what I was driving
at.
TVQ's obituary for their helicopter pilot topping and tailing the
First-at-Five (which I went on to mention in snipped text) was case in
point.
IMHO that sort of thing would have been better left to the current
affairs shows -- and Today Tonight ran their Tony Gordon tribute tonight
(Monday), as things panned out.

Dan

Jan 29, 2001, 12:31:52 PM1/29/01
Wombat was the show with Agro, right ?

Dan Martin

Jan 29, 2001, 5:58:11 PM1/29/01
from 1985, yes

Margaret Morris

Jan 30, 2001, 7:24:56 AM1/30/01

>>Also had Bob La Castra (that his name?) who later hosted 'The Big Square
>>Eye' for ABC (LOL at memory of that show).

Bobby is now a Gold Coast City Councillor. He has been dubbed "Bananas in
Pyjames" for his writing skills on the 1st series. It is no hidden secret
that he wants to be a Liberal Federal Parliamentarian.