Classic Countdown

bru...@topmail.co.nz

Sep 26, 2017, 10:35:46 PM9/26/17
Did they show the notorious performance by Skyhooks with a male dancer
wearing a rubber glove over the genitals? Probably that was one of the
tapes that got wiped.

Max

Oct 14, 2017, 4:50:11 PM10/14/17
How do you know any tapes got wiped?

Computer Nerd Kev

Oct 14, 2017, 7:37:06 PM10/14/17
Gee Max, guess he must be a real ABC insider or something.

Or something:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown_%28Australian_TV_series%29#Wiped_episodes

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

hector

Oct 15, 2017, 4:31:08 AM10/15/17
On 27/09/2017 12:35 PM, bru...@topmail.co.nz wrote:
Probably can read about this in the Molly autobiography which you might
have done I'm guessing. I think he says in that the fate of the tape.
Likely to be wiped. But I thought AC/DC performing Baby Please Don't Go
was wiped. That was shown recently wasn't it? I remember seeing that
originally.

Jeßus

Oct 15, 2017, 3:23:26 PM10/15/17
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 19:29:37 +1100, hector <bob...@there.com> wrote:

>On 27/09/2017 12:35 PM, bru...@topmail.co.nz wrote:
>> Did they show the notorious performance by Skyhooks with a male dancer
>> wearing a rubber glove over the genitals? Probably that was one of the
>> tapes that got wiped.
>>

>Probably can read about this in the Molly autobiography which you might
>have done I'm guessing. I think he says in that the fate of the tape.
>Likely to be wiped.

The ABC (and BBC) used to do that, back in the day to reuse the tapes.

> But I thought AC/DC performing Baby Please Don't Go
>was wiped. That was shown recently wasn't it? I remember seeing that
>originally.

Yes, that still exists. I've seen it several times in recent years.

Clocky

Oct 16, 2017, 1:32:33 AM10/16/17
You can see it here: 1:53 in - rubber glove man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZCjTUIeZW0

Clocky

Oct 16, 2017, 1:49:56 AM10/16/17
A lot of Countdown clips have found their way on youtube.

Probably of no interest to anyone but me but one of my friends was on
Countdown, Ben the guitarist in the white shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViWlT-L2y70

I remember him telling me that he had been on, but I didn't know him
then and he didn't have a copy. Decades later and there it is... on youtube.

hector

Oct 16, 2017, 3:44:44 AM10/16/17
On 16/10/2017 6:23 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 19:29:37 +1100, hector <bob...@there.com> wrote:
>
>> On 27/09/2017 12:35 PM, bru...@topmail.co.nz wrote:
>>> Did they show the notorious performance by Skyhooks with a male dancer
>>> wearing a rubber glove over the genitals? Probably that was one of the
>>> tapes that got wiped.
>>>

>> Probably can read about this in the Molly autobiography which you might
>> have done I'm guessing. I think he says in that the fate of the tape.
>> Likely to be wiped.
>
> The ABC (and BBC) used to do that, back in the day to reuse the tapes.

The excuses for the BBC was that they wiped the black and white shows
when colour came in about 1969. Yet early Countdown was in colour?
Lots of Australian 60s shows met that fate I believe. All you can find
are those things where they put it on film, a film camera pointing at a
monitor. American show Hullaballoo met a similar fate, from 1965/66.
Only 4 colours shows on video survive of that show. The rest are these
things on film in black and white.
I have the Easbybeats special from 1966 on dvd, not sure though if it is
straight from tape or film.

>> But I thought AC/DC performing Baby Please Don't Go
>> was wiped. That was shown recently wasn't it? I remember seeing that
>> originally.
>
> Yes, that still exists. I've seen it several times in recent years.

interesting. I thought it was a very early show.

wotawonderfulworld

Oct 16, 2017, 6:54:37 AM10/16/17
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote in news:ortt9v$paq$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
I'm not a great mathmatician.. but i'd guess

Number of Countdown Shows that were made

Minus

Number of Actual taped episodes that exist...

Equals

Number of Tapes wiped or missing

Ta Da

Jeßus

Oct 16, 2017, 8:32:04 PM10/16/17
Can you not use google?

"ABC[edit]
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) erased much of its early
output. Much of the videotaped ABC programme material from the 1960s
and early 1970s was erased as part of an economy policy instituted in
the late 1970s in which old programme tapes were surrendered for bulk
erasure and reuse. This policy particularly targeted older programmes
recorded in black-and-white, leading to the loss of many recordings
made before early 1976, when the real reason is that Australian
television converted to colour. The ABC continued erasing older
television output until the late 1970s.

Programmes known to have been lost include most studio segments and
stories from the 1960s current affairs shows This Day Tonight and
Monday Conference, hundreds of episodes of the long-running rural
serial Bellbird, all but a handful of episodes of the early-1970s
drama series Certain Women, an early-1970s miniseries of
dramatizations based on Norman Lindsay's novels, and nearly all of the
first 18 months of the weekly pop-music show Countdown."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiping#ABC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_television_broadcast

Jeßus

Oct 16, 2017, 8:35:51 PM10/16/17
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:49:55 +0800, Clocky <not...@happen.com> wrote:
The Scientists! I remember them well, JJ/JJJ used to play their stuff
all the time.

Jeßus

Oct 16, 2017, 8:43:00 PM10/16/17
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 18:42:42 +1100, hector <bob...@there.com> wrote:

>On 16/10/2017 6:23 AM, Je?us wrote:

>>> Probably can read about this in the Molly autobiography which you might
>>> have done I'm guessing. I think he says in that the fate of the tape.
>>> Likely to be wiped.
>>
>> The ABC (and BBC) used to do that, back in the day to reuse the tapes.
>
>The excuses for the BBC was that they wiped the black and white shows
>when colour came in about 1969. Yet early Countdown was in colour?

Yes, IIRC it was the first colour programme in Aus? Not 1969 though,
1974/75 in Aus.

>Lots of Australian 60s shows met that fate I believe. All you can find
>are those things where they put it on film, a film camera pointing at a
>monitor. American show Hullaballoo met a similar fate, from 1965/66.
>Only 4 colours shows on video survive of that show. The rest are these
>things on film in black and white.
>I have the Easbybeats special from 1966 on dvd, not sure though if it is
>straight from tape or film.
>

>>> But I thought AC/DC performing Baby Please Don't Go
>>> was wiped. That was shown recently wasn't it? I remember seeing that
>>> originally.
>>
>> Yes, that still exists. I've seen it several times in recent years.
>>
>interesting. I thought it was a very early show.

Somebody somewhere must have had a copy, it seems to be pretty good
quality too.

Trevor

Oct 16, 2017, 11:17:05 PM10/16/17
On 17/10/2017 11:42 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 18:42:42 +1100, hector <bob...@there.com> wrote:
>> The excuses for the BBC was that they wiped the black and white shows
>> when colour came in about 1969. Yet early Countdown was in colour?
>
> Yes, IIRC it was the first colour programme in Aus?

Aunty Jack show was the first ABC show to switch to color, part way
through an episode.

> Not 1969 though, 1974/75 in Aus.

Yep March 1975 official start date. Color test patterns were transmitted
before that though.

Trevor.

bru...@topmail.co.nz

Oct 17, 2017, 1:33:21 AM10/17/17
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 3:44:44 PM UTC+8, hector wrote:

> The excuses for the BBC was that they wiped the black and white shows
> when colour came in about 1969. Yet early Countdown was in colour?
> Lots of Australian 60s shows met that fate I believe. All you can find
> are those things where they put it on film, a film camera pointing at a
> monitor. American show Hullaballoo met a similar fate, from 1965/66.
> Only 4 colours shows on video survive of that show. The rest are these
> things on film in black and white.

More to it than that. The tapes in the early 1960s were 2 inches wide and
only held half and hour. So the shelf space required to store old series was
onerous.

Clocky

Oct 17, 2017, 9:52:58 AM10/17/17
Ah cool! ;-)

Yeah, Kim Salmon had and probably still has quite a following. The
Scientists line-up changed often and I think Ben was only with the band
for a year or two and recorded one album with them if I'm not mistaken.

A really cool, creative and talented guy, Ben used to come into the
workshop and pick up old brake drums, rotors, springs and other metal
scrap and turn them into wonderful sculptures.

Clocky

Oct 17, 2017, 10:28:42 AM10/17/17
Countdown was transmitted in colour in November 1974.

Jeßus

Oct 18, 2017, 9:12:46 AM10/18/17
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 21:52:55 +0800, Clocky <not...@happen.com> wrote:
Would be interesting to see his work. That era really was the good old
days of Australian music, so many original bands and you could go out
any night of the week and see a major act (or who later became a major
act). In Sydney and Melbourne, at least anyway.

Jeßus

Oct 18, 2017, 9:14:40 AM10/18/17
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 14:17:02 +1100, Trevor <tre...@home.net> wrote:

>On 17/10/2017 11:42 AM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 18:42:42 +1100, hector <bob...@there.com> wrote:
>>> The excuses for the BBC was that they wiped the black and white shows
>>> when colour came in about 1969. Yet early Countdown was in colour?
>>
>> Yes, IIRC it was the first colour programme in Aus?
>
>Aunty Jack show was the first ABC show to switch to color, part way
>through an episode.

Oh right, I thought it was Countdown... I seem to recall it being a
bit of an event at the time.

Jeßus

Oct 18, 2017, 9:16:32 AM10/18/17
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:28:39 +0800, Clocky <not...@happen.com> wrote:

>On 17/10/2017 11:17 AM, Trevor wrote:
I remember it well, because my Dad's best mate bought a colour TV at
the time, which cost him a grand. That was a lot of money back then.

Clocky

Oct 18, 2017, 9:20:08 PM10/18/17
http://www.scoop.com.au/Online-Articles/Handy-Work

Not much in the way of sculptures but enough info to Google his
name/works if you care to.

That era really was the good old
> days of Australian music, so many original bands and you could go out
> any night of the week and see a major act (or who later became a major
> act). In Sydney and Melbourne, at least anyway.

Yeah, good live scene here too in those days. Pretty much every pub had
live music so lots of outlets for local talent. We don't have pokies in
the pubs here so it's still alive in places but not like it was back then.

Trevor

Oct 18, 2017, 10:34:08 PM10/18/17
On 18/10/2017 1:28 AM, Clocky wrote:
> On 17/10/2017 11:17 AM, Trevor wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, IIRC it was the first colour programme in Aus?
>>
>> Aunty Jack show was the first ABC show to switch to color, part way
>> through an episode.
>>

>>> Not 1969 though, 1974/75 in Aus.
>>
>> Yep March 1975 official start date. Color test patterns were
>> transmitted before that though.
>>

> Countdown was transmitted in colour in November 1974.

As a test transmission, and other channels had been doing that for
*years* before Countdown was even conceived. So it was NOT "the first
color program in Aus" no matter how you look at it.

Trevor.

Trevor

Oct 18, 2017, 10:38:24 PM10/18/17
On 19/10/2017 12:16 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:28:39 +0800, Clocky <not...@happen.com> wrote:

>>> Aunty Jack show was the first ABC show to switch to color, part way
>>> through an episode.

>>> Yep March 1975 official start date. Color test patterns were transmitted
>>> before that though.
>>>

>> Countdown was transmitted in colour in November 1974.
>
> I remember it well, because my Dad's best mate bought a colour TV at
> the time, which cost him a grand. That was a lot of money back then.

Color test transmissions in Aus do go back to the late 60's, so
Countdown was hardly "the first colour programme in Aus" no matter how
you measure it though.

Trevor.

Clocky

Oct 19, 2017, 4:30:38 AM10/19/17
I'm not saying Countdown was the first colour transmission, just that it
was first broadcast in colour in 1974 which was before the official
start date.

Trevor

Oct 19, 2017, 4:50:59 AM10/19/17
On 19/10/2017 7:30 PM, Clocky wrote:
> On 19/10/2017 10:34 AM, Trevor wrote:

>>> Countdown was transmitted in colour in November 1974.
>>

>> As a test transmission, and other channels had been doing that for
>> *years* before Countdown was even conceived. So it was NOT "the first
>> color program in Aus" no matter how you look at it.
>>

> I'm not saying Countdown was the first colour transmission, just that it
> was first broadcast in colour in 1974 which was before the official
> start date.

Clearly what I responded to was.
> "IIRC it was the first colour programme in Aus?"

So obviously not remembered correctly. :-)

Trevor.

hector

Oct 19, 2017, 8:52:01 AM10/19/17
Many shows were broadcast in colour in 1974.
The TV guides would indicate what was in colour.
After the official start in 1975, tv guides would indicate black and white.

In the US colour broadcasting can be traced back to about 1954. They
started making TV shows in colour in the late 50s, such as Superman and
Lassie. Bonanza was made in colour for its entire run, starting in the
late 50s. NBC went all colour in 1966, which amounts to the start date
of colour in the US. It was a colourful time.
Colour started as far as I can tell in the UK in 1969.

hector

Oct 19, 2017, 8:54:00 AM10/19/17
On 19/10/2017 12:16 AM, Je�us wrote:
I remember news reports on the dangers of colour tvs because there was
more plastic in them. I first saw colour tv at the Royal Melbourne Show
no later than 1973. It was football, so there was a lot of green.

hector

Oct 19, 2017, 8:57:32 AM10/19/17
Things were diverse around the US. I think many areas couldn't
broadcast in colour or using videotape, so they would distribute those
black and white kinescope (kinetoscope?) things on film, back in the 60s.

hector

Oct 19, 2017, 8:59:13 AM10/19/17
On 19/10/2017 12:14 AM, Je�us wrote:
Beneath the Planet of the Apes was broadcast for the official start date.

Xeno

Oct 19, 2017, 9:24:16 AM10/19/17
Will be attending a Lee Kernighan concert here at the RSL next month.
The pub bands here aren't really my style any more. 5 pubs in town
regularly have bands on though so the pub music scene is still active -
in spite of the pokies.

--

Xeno

Clocky

Oct 19, 2017, 4:48:06 PM10/19/17
Countdown was broadcast in colour from the start in 1974 so not a test
transmission. What other *programme* was filmed and broadcast entirely
in colour before that?

Trevor

Oct 19, 2017, 11:40:39 PM10/19/17
On 19/10/2017 11:52 PM, hector wrote:
> I remember news reports on the dangers of colour tvs because there was
> more plastic in them.  I first saw colour tv at the Royal Melbourne Show
> no later than 1973.  It was football, so there was a lot of green.

Gee I remember first seeing color TV in the early 60's with a live
camera. Then in the mid 60's many expo's, shows and things like that had
displays of US TV shows once color video tape became available. American
NTSC equipment then of course.

Trevor.

Trevor

Oct 19, 2017, 11:42:43 PM10/19/17
> Beneath the Planet of the Apes was broadcast for the official start date.

Not on the ABC it wasn't. But so what?

Trevor.

Trevor

Oct 19, 2017, 11:47:52 PM10/19/17
> Countdown was broadcast in colour from the start in 1974 so not a test
> transmission. What other *programme* was filmed and broadcast entirely
> in colour before that?

You cannot use Google? Wikipedia has a pretty good timeline which may or
may not be perfectly accurate, but it's clear *test* transmissions go
back to the 60's, LONG before Countdown! And the ABC weren't even the
first either.

Trevor.

Trevor.

Clocky

Oct 20, 2017, 7:50:26 AM10/20/17
I can. But I'm not talking about the odd non-public test transmission or
bits and pieces here and there.

Wikipedia has a pretty good timeline which may or
> may not be perfectly accurate, but it's clear *test* transmissions go
> back to the 60's, LONG before Countdown! And the ABC weren't even the
> first either.

I'm talking about *programmes*, not test transmissions.

What programme was entirely filmed and broadcast in colour before Countdown?

Clocky

Oct 20, 2017, 7:57:50 AM10/20/17
Just think about the poor folks of Romania who didn't get colour TV
until 1985-1990.

Jeßus

Oct 20, 2017, 9:38:16 PM10/20/17
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 19:50:22 +0800, Clocky <not...@happen.com> wrote:

>On 20/10/2017 11:47 AM, Trevor wrote:
Jesus Christ, if somebody isn't spoiling for an argument for the sake
of one here...

Clocky

Oct 20, 2017, 11:34:17 PM10/20/17
You clearly are, but I can't find which programme was entirely filmed
and broadcast in colour before countdown.

Can you?

Trevor

Oct 21, 2017, 3:46:52 AM10/21/17
So it seems you haven't even bothered to look at Wikipedia. PLENTY were
filmed in color long before Countdown started. Many were transmitted
before the official start date, and were thus *TEST* transmissions, as
was Countdown in 1974!

Feel free to argue with yourself though, I'm done.

Trevor.

Clocky

Oct 21, 2017, 4:37:17 AM10/21/17
You don't seem to understand what I'm asking.

Jeßus

Oct 21, 2017, 8:49:24 AM10/21/17
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 11:34:15 +0800, Clocky <not...@happen.com> wrote:
Wrong.

>but I can't find which programme was entirely filmed
>and broadcast in colour before countdown.
>
>Can you?

I was referring to Trevor, not you.