World Sevens Results

James Smith

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

Coca-Cola World Rugby League Sevens, 1997

Venue: Sydney Football Stadium.
Date: Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th February 1996.
Crowds: Saturday 14,445; Sunday 15,116; total 29,561.
Man of the tournament: Troy Campbell (Parramatta).

The format of the tournament was changed again. Teams were
divided into eight pools, each containing either three Sydney
teams or three other teams. Then in the quarterfinals at all
levels Sydney teams were matched against other teams, virtually
ensuring that only Sydney teams could win the three competitions.

There was a lot of interest in the team from Lebanon, actually
a team of players from the Optus Cup who had Lebanese ancestry.

The ARL trialed using video replay for dodgy try decisions.

Pool Matches:

Group 1:

NRL Fiji 22 beat American Samoa 18 in extra time.
Tonga 16 beat American Samoa 12.
Tonga 16 beat NRL Fiji 14.

1 Tonga 2 2 0 32 26 Cup
2 NRL Fiji 2 1 1 36 34 Trophy
3 American Samoa 2 0 2 30 38 Plate

Group 2:

Newcastle 20 beat South Sydney 18.
St George 26 beat Newcastle 22.
South Sydney 28 beat St George 16.

1 South Sydney 2 1 1 46 36 Cup
2 Newcastle 2 1 1 42 44 Trophy
3 St George 2 1 1 42 50 Plate

Group 3:

Aboriginals 26 beat Papua New Guinea 10.
Aboriginals 16 beat New Zealand 14.
New Zealand 32 beat Papua New Guinea 18.

1 Aboriginals 2 2 0 42 24 Cup
2 New Zealand 2 1 1 46 34 Trophy
3 Papua New Guinea 2 0 2 28 58 Plate

Group 4:

North Sydney 16 beat Sydney City 6.
North Sydney 22 beat Gold Coast 20.
Sydney City 22 beat Gold Coast 18.

1 North Sydney 2 2 0 38 26 Cup
2 Sydney City 2 1 1 28 34 Trophy
3 Gold Coast 2 0 2 38 44 Plate

Group 5:

Italy 38 beat Japan 4.
Italy 22 beat United States 0.
United States 18 beat Japan 14 in extra time.

1 Italy 2 2 0 60 4 Cup
2 United States 2 1 1 18 36 Trophy
3 Japan 2 0 2 18 56 Plate

Group 6:

Illawarra 14 beat Manly Warringah 10.
Western Suburbs 26 beat Illawarra 12.
Western Suburbs 18 beat Manly Warringah 12.

1 Western Suburbs 2 2 0 44 24 Cup
2 Illawarra 2 1 1 26 36 Trophy
3 Manly Warringah 2 0 2 22 32 Plate

Group 7:

Lebanon 24 beat Melbourne 4.
Lebanon 16 beat NSW Country 14.
NSW Country 16 beat Melbourne 12.

1 Lebanon 2 2 0 40 18 Cup
2 NSW Country 2 1 1 30 28 Trophy
3 Melbourne 2 0 2 16 40 Plate

Group 8:

Balmain 20 beat South Queensland 16.
Parramatta 18 beat Balmain 4.
Parramatta 16 beat South Queensland 10.

1 Parramatta 2 2 0 34 14 Cup
2 Balmain 2 1 1 24 34 Trophy
3 South Queensland 2 0 2 26 36 Plate

Plate Championship:

Quarterfinals:

St George 44 beat American Samoa 14.
Gold Coast 32 beat Papua New Guinea 4.
Manly Warringah 42 beat Japan 4.
South Queensland 36 beat Melbourne 10.

Semifinals:

St George 18 beat Gold Coast 16.
South Queensland 16 beat Manly Warringah 14.

Final:

St George 18 beat South Queensland 8.

Trophy Championship:

Quarterfinals:

Newcastle 34 beat NRL Fiji 16.
Sydney City 22 beat New Zealand 10.
Illawarra 18 beat United States 10.
Balmain 26 beat NSW Country 12.

Semifinals:

Newcastle 34 beat Sydney City 22.
Balmain 18 beat Illawarra 10.

Final:

Balmain 22 beat Newcastle 16.

Cup Championship:

Quarterfinals:

South Sydney 20 beat Tonga 10.
North Sydney 12 beat Aboriginals 8.
Western Suburbs 38 beat Italy 12.
Parramatta 22 beat Lebanon 10.

Semifinals:

North Sydney 24 beat South Sydney 18.
Parramatta 24 beat Western Suburbs 12.

Final:

Parramatta 32 beat North Sydney 22.

Detailed reports:

(Not all are here, because I haven't been able to find the Saturday night
results anywhere.)

Sevens Group 1, Saturday 8th February 1997.

NRL Fiji 22 (E Masivoivoi, A Vunivalu, S Taga, A Waqasaga,
A Navuni tries; M Navugona goal) beat
American Samoa 18 (T Momoeamausu, R Tuimavave, R Kalepo, S Fulu tries;
R Tuimavave goal)
in extra time
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Full time: 18-18.

Sevens Group 2, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Newcastle 20 (Robbie O'Davis 2, Matthew Gidley, Brett Grogan tries;
Andrew Johns 2 goals) beat
South Sydney 18 (Craig Simon, D McLeod, Danny O'Keefe tries;
Shane Wilson 2, D Amos goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 3, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Aboriginals 26 (Nathan Blacklock 3, Willie Gordon 2 tries;
John Simon, C Heron, G Edwards goals) beat
Papua New Guinea 10 (G Morea 2 tries; R Mua goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 4, Saturday 8th February 1997.

North Sydney 16 (Michael Buettner, Brett Dallas, Ben Ikin tres;
Jason Taylor 2 goals) beat
Sydney City 6 (Dale Shearer try; Dale Shearer goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 5, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Italy 38 (David Penna 3, C Barbaro 2, S Margheritini, P Panozzo tries;
S Margheritini 3, C Barbaro, David Penna goals) beat
Japan 4 (K Suzuki try)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 6, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Illawarra 14 (S Cram, Sean Timmins, Paul McGregor tries;
Sean Timmins goal) beat
Manly Warringah 10 (Terry Hill, Danny Moore tries; Cliff Lyons goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 10-10.

Sevens Group 7, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Lebanon 24 (M Nasser, Richard Kairouz, Hasam El Mazri, C Saab,
K Tamer tries; Hazam El masri, M Nasser goals) beat
Melbourne 4 (S Naylor try)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 8, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Balmain 20 (Tim Brasher 2, William Kennedy, Glen Morrison tries;
Michael Gillett 2 goals) beat
South Queensland 16 (Matt Toshak, Jason Wendt,
Clinton Schifeofske tries; Craig Wilson 2 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 1, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Tonga 16 (I Tapueluelu 2, T 'Aho'atu tries;
T Kaufusi, T 'Aho'atu goals) beat
American Samoa 12 (T Momoemausu, R Tuimavave, F Leasausu tries)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 2, Saturday 8th February 1997.

St George 26 (Ben Kusto, Adrian Brunker, Lance Thompson, Jeff Hardy,
Jim Lenihan tries; Ben Kusto 3 goals) beat
Newcastle 22 (Andrew Johns, Wayne Richards, Brett Grogan,
Darren Albert tries; Andrew Johns 3 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 16-10.

Sevens Group 3, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Aboriginals 16 (John Simon 2, A Torrens tries;
John Simon 2 goals) beat
New Zealand Sevens 14 (F Cullimore 2, R Hanare tries;
F Cullimore goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 4, Saturday 8th February 1997.

North Sydney 22 (Brett Dallas, Matt Seers, David Fairleigh,
M Reber tries; Jason Taylor 3 goals) beat
Gold Coast 20 (Wes Patten, M Dwyer, Jamie Goddard, K Currie tries;
Graham Mackay 2 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 5, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Italy 22 (C Barbaro 2, C Ienco, David Penna tries;
S Margheritini 3 goals) beat
United States 0
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 6, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Western Suburbs 26 (Brendan Pearson 3, Kevin McGuinness,
Ken McGuinness, S Lomanemako tries; Andrew Willis goal) beat
Illawarra 12 (Glen Air, T Barrett tries;
T Barrett, Brendan Reeves goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 7, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Lebanon 16 beat NSW Country 14
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 8, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Parramatta 18 beat Balmain 4
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 6-0.

Sevens Group 1, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Tonga 16 beat NRL Fiji 14
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 2, Saturday 8th February 1997.

South Sydney 28 beat St George 16
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 3, Saturday 8th February 1997.

New Zealand Sevens 32 beat Papua New Guinea 18
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 4, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Sydney City 22 beat Gold Coast 18
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 5, Saturday 8th February 1997.

United States 18 beat Japan 14
in extra time
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Full time: 14-14.

Sevens Group 6, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Western Suburbs 18 beat Manly Warringah 12
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 12-2.

Sevens Group 7, Saturday 8th February 1997.

NSW Country 16 beat Melbourne 12
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Group 8, Saturday 8th February 1997.

Parramatta 16 beat South Queensland 10
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Plate Championship Quarterfinals, Sunday 9th February 1997.

St George 44 (Ben Kusto 2, Darren Treacy, Lance Thompson, Dean Raper,
Jim Lenihan, D Smith, Adrian Brunker tries;
Ben Kusto 4, Adrian Brunker, Darren Treacy goals) beat
American Samoa 14 (P Feau, F Leasausu, M Tulsamoa tries; M Tulsamoa goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Referee: Tony Maksoud.

Gold Coast 32 (M Dwyer 3, S Russell, Jeremy Schloss, Jamie Goddard tries;
Graham Mackay 2 goals) beat
Papua New Guinea 4 (G Morea try)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 14-0. Referee: Sean Hampstead.

Manly Warringah 42 (Terry Hill 3, Craig Hancock 2, John Hopoate, Cliff Lyons,
Craig Field tries; Cliff Lyons 4, Craig Field goals) beat
Japan 4 (R Ojima try)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

South Queensland 36 (C Wilson 2, Mark Protheroe, Anthony Bella,
Clinton Schifkofske, Dean Saunders tries; C Wilson 6 goals) beat
Melbourne 10 (S Naylor, F Tuaulii tries; N Makiri goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 18-10.

Sevens Trophy Championship Quarterfinals, Sunday 9th February 1997.

Newcastle 34 (Wayne Richards, Darren Albert, Owen Craigie, Andrew Johns,
Brett Grgan, Robbie O'Davis tries;
Matthew Johns 3, Owen Craigie, Andrew Johns goals) beat
NRL Fiji 16 (A Waqasaga, M Navugona, E Masivoioi tries; S Taga, A Koroi goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium. Referee: Tony Maksoud.

Sydney City 22 (Scott Gourley, Matthew Sing, Dale Shearer, Nathan Wood tries;
Dale Shearer, Nathan Wood, R Allan goals) beat
New Zealand 10 (D Johnson, R Hanare tries; S Berryman goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 18-4. Referee: Sean Hampstead.

Illawarra 18 (Glen Air, T Barrett, Sean Timmins, Brendan Reeves tries;
A Bristow goal) beat
United States 6 (G Smith try; F Evans goal))
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 10-6. Referee: Mark Oaten.
Note: or was it 26-10? .

Balmain 26 (J Langaloa 2, Darren Senter, Tim Brasher, Hudson Smith tries;
Tim Brasher, Michael Gillett, J Langaloa goals) beat
NSW Country 12 (Dave Watson, Steve Storrie tries; D Smith 2 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 10-6.

Sevens Cup Championship Quarterfinals, Sunday 9th February 1997.

South Sydney 20 (M Manning 2, D Amos, D McLeod tries;
M Manning, D Amos goals) beat
Tonga 10 (S Va'eno 2 tries; O Fainsa'a 2 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 10-0. Referee: Tony Maksound.

North Sydney 12 (Brett Dallas 2 tries; Jason Taylor 2 goals) beat
Aboriginals 8 (D Briggs, Nathan Blacklock tries)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 12-0. Referee: Eddie Ward.

Western Suburbs 38 (Ken McGuinness 2, Aseri Laing 2, Kevin McGuinness,
M Maraivala, Brendan Pearson tries;
Damien Kennedy 3, Aseri Laing, Ken McGuinness goals) beat
Italy 12 (C Barbaro, S Donato tries; S Margheritini 2 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 14-6.

Parramatta 22 (J Bell, Jim Dymock, Shane Whereat, Stuart Kelly tries;
Chris Lawler 2, Shane Whereat goals) beat
Lebanon 10 (M Nassar, K Tamer tries; Hazam El Masri goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Sevens Plate Championship Semifinals, Sunday 9th February 1997
at Sydney Football Stadium.

St George 18 (Ben Kusto, Wayne Bartrim, Adrian Brunker, D Smith tries;
Wayne Bartrim goal) beat
Gold Coast 16 (Chris Orr 2, Shane Russell, J Nicol tries)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 10-8.

South Queensland 16 (Clinton Schifkofske, Matt Toshack, Dean Saunders tries;
C Wilson 2 goals) beat
Manly Warringah 14 (Terry Hill 2, Craig Field tries; Cliff Lyons goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 0-4. Referee: Kelvin Jeffes.

Sevens Trophy Championship Semifinals, Sunday 9th February 1997
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Newcastle 34 (Darren Albert 2, Matthew Johns, Matthew Gidley, Owen Craigie,
Bill Peden tries;
Matthew Johns 2, Andrew Johns, Matthew Gidley, Bill Peden goals) beat
Sydney City 22 (R Allan, Matthew Sing, Nathan Wood, J Troy tries;
R Allan 2, Nathan Wood goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 16-16. Referee: David Manson.

Balmain 18 (Tim Brasher, Glen Morrison, William Kennedy, Michael Gillett tries;
Tim Brasher goal) beat
Illawarra 10 (T Barrett 2 tries; Paul McGregor goal)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 10-10. Referee: Eddie Ward.

Sevens Cup Championship Semifinals, Sunday 9th February 1997
at Sydney Football Stadium.

North Sydney 24 (Brett Dallas 2, Greg Florimo, Michael Buettner tries;
Jason Taylor 4 goals) beat
South Sydney 18 (A Grant, Craig Simon, Dean Amos tries;
Dean Amos 2, M Manning goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 12-12. Referee: Matt Hewitt.

Parramatta 24 (Shane Whereat 2, Troy Campbell, Jarrod McCracken,
Nathan Barnes tries; Shane Whereat, Chris Lawler goals) beat
Western Suburbs 12 (Brendan Pearson, Damien Kennedy tries;
Damien Kennedy 2 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 10-6. Referee: Paul Simpkins.

Sevens Plate Championship Final, Sunday 9th February 1997
at Sydney Football Stadium.

St George 18 (Adrian Brunker, Jeff Hardy, Wayne Bartrim tries;
Adrian Brunker, Lance Thompson, Wayne Bartrim goals) beat
South Queensland 8 (Mark Protheroe, Dave Watson tries)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 18-4.

Sevens Trophy Championship Final, Sunday 9th February 1997
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Balmain 22 (Darren Senter 2, Glen Morrison, J Langaloa tries;
Michael Gillett 2, Shane Walker goals) beat
Newcastle 16 (Andrew Johns, Brett Grogan, Owen Craigie, Matthew Gidley tries)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Referee: Kelvin Jeffes.

Sevens Cup Championship Final, Sunday 9th February 1997
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Parramatta 32 (Jim Dymock, Troy Campbell, Jason Smith, Nathan Barnes,
Stuart Kelly, J Smith tries; Chris Lawler 3, Stuart Kelly goals) beat
North Sydney 22 (Greg Florimo 2, Gary Larson 2 tries; Jason Taylor 3 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 18-10. Referee: David Manson.
--
James J Smith | The Vault
Faculty of Engineering | http://www.dot.net.au/~drey/jimsmith/ausindex.html

Pete Muir

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

In article <1997Feb10...@cc.newcastle.edu.au>,
en...@cc.newcastle.edu.au (James Smith) wrote:

Sevens Cup Championship Final, Sunday 9th February 1997
at Sydney Football Stadium.

Parramatta 32 (Jim Dymock, Troy Campbell, Jason Smith, Nathan Barnes,
Stuart Kelly, J Smith tries; Chris Lawler 3, Stuart Kelly goals) beat
North Sydney 22 (Greg Florimo 2, Gary Larson 2 tries; Jason Taylor 3 goals)
at Sydney Football Stadium.
Half time: 18-10. Referee: David Manson.

Let me save all the knockers the trouble and state the obvious.....yes 7's is
a dramatically different form of a game than regular league.

Having said that... go you eels!!!! We haven't had a great deal to cheer
about since the eels did the broncs 12-8 at the 1st ANZ stadium match. While
some may argue that winning 7's is a hollow victory, I think it gives a lot of
heart to the old faithfulls. From the limited clips I saw, it looks like
Brian Smith has done a great job in sharpening the eels attacking skills. Yes
it remains to be proven in the 'real' game but I'm going to enjoy the first
senior trophy win in over a decade and look forward to Dean Pay holding up the
'pay tv cup' in september.

Pete.

Brett Abraham

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

p.m...@qut.edu.au (Pete Muir) wrote:
>Having said that... go you eels!!!! We haven't had a great deal to cheer
>about since the eels did the broncs 12-8 at the 1st ANZ stadium match. While
>some may argue that winning 7's is a hollow victory, I think it gives a lot of
>heart to the old faithfulls. From the limited clips I saw, it looks like
>Brian Smith has done a great job in sharpening the eels attacking skills.

Even though I despise Parra (after consecutive GF losses for the Eagles)
I am a big Brian Smith fan and IMO he will be money well invested and is
certain to have an impact on Smith and Dymock's play. I'm also looking
forward with interest to seeing Bell and Kelly's performance this year.

>Yes it remains to be proven in the 'real' game but I'm going to enjoy the first
>senior trophy win in over a decade and look forward to Dean Pay holding up the
> 'pay tv cup' in september.

We can always dream :) but I'm actually looking forward to a Manly/Parra final.