The Players Poll

Leigh Gillespie

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

The annual RLW players poll was published today (Wed 26th June)
and there were some very interesting results. There were 100 players (5
from each club) polled and of those 51 had originally signed with the ARL,
48 originally with SL and 1 had no ties either way. Here are the
highlights...

THE PLAYERS
==========

Name the top player in each position in the Optus Cup (Players can't
nominate team-mates).

<snip>

* Halfback
ALLAN LANGER 46%, Andrew Johns 24%, Geoff Toovey 20%, Others 10%

<snip>

* Who is the best player in the Optus Cup?
BRAD FITTLER 32%, Laurie Daley 22%, Allan Langer 16%, Others 34%

* Who has been the standout player this season?
ANDREW JOHNS 32%, Allan Langer 16%, Geoff Toovey 10%, Others 42%

* Who is the most underrated player?
OWEN CUNNINGHAM 29%, Danny Lee 10%, Others 61%

* Who is the best coach (other than your own)?
PHIL GOULD 32%, Wayne Bennett 31%, Tim Sheens 24%, Others 13%

Interesting to note the high placement of Allan Langer (ahead of
Test half Toovey). Nobody denies he had an ordinary first two origin
games, but the rest of his season has obviously been pretty good according
to his peers.

REP FOOTBALL
============

* Who should be Test captain?
BRAD FITTLER 52%, Laurie Daley 43%, Others 5

* Who should coach Queensland next season?
WAYNE BENNETT 52%, Paul Vautin 31%, Others 17

* Were you in favour of the Tests going ahead against New Zealand?
NO 60%, Yes 40%

A fair majority of the players did not want matches against the
All Golds to be played. Even if the players voted along ARL/SL lines then
at least 11 of 51 ARL aligned players and the non aligned player also
thought that the matches should not have been played.
Brad Fittler was favoured over Daley as Test captain but it was
not a convincing victory. I'd suggest that this is not a split but more to
say that the players would be happy with either.

REFEREES
========

* How do rate the standard of refereeing this season compared to last?
WORSE 52%, much worse 21%, the same 19%, better 7%, much better 1%

* Should the SL referees be reappointed?
YES 95%, No 5%

Seventy-three percent of the players thought the refereeing was
worse or much worse, a big majority. While a massive ninety-five though
the SL refs should be re-appointed. Again even if the players were voting
along ARL/SL lines then it's pretty obvious that even the ARL aligned
players think that Harrigan and co. should be brought back.

THE ISSUES
==========

* Are you in favour of the unlimited interchange?
YES 51%, No 49%

* Should the format of the top-eight series be altered so that every
Grand Final combination is possible (as in the AFL)?
YES 81%, No 19%

* What steps should be taken to attract more people to Rugby League?
REDUCE THE NUMBER OF CLUBS 33%
reduce admission prices 21%
improve marketing 19%
better entertainment 15%
others 12%

* Do Channel 9 have too much influence in the running of the game?
YES 65%, No 35%

The players are split almost right down the centre on unlimited
interchange with only two more favouring it than those against it. This is
quite interesting as the media and various other sources have given the
impression that the rules was very unpopular. Amongst the players this is
certainly not the case.
Despite arguments to the contary, the players still perceive that
Channel 9 have too much input into the running of the game.

SUPER LEAGUE
===========

* With which group did you originally sign?
ARL 51%, Super League 48%, neither 1%

* Do you regret signing with them?
ARL: No 35, Yes 16
SL: No 45, Yes 4

* Can the ARL afford a 20-team competition until 2000?
NO 90%, Yes 10%

* Should clubs be cut before then?
YES 75%, No 25%

* If yes, which clubs?
SOUTHS 35, Balmain 34, St George 11, Wests 9

* Should the ARL assist struggling clubs to ensure the survival of the
present 20-team competition?
NO 57%, Yes 43%

More ARL players regret who they signed with than do SL players.
While nearly a third of those signed with the ARL regreted it, only about
10% of the SL aligned wished they'd gone the other way.
Regardless of the loyalty agreements, the 20-team comp needs to
go. Three quarters of players thought clubs should be cut by the ARL
before the year 2000 and those should be the struggling Sydney sides. The
ARL should not attempt to prop up clubs that can't survive.

The players have spoken. Let debate ensue...

Catchya round, Leigh

* Leigh T. Gillespie * "It takes leather balls *
* Phone - Australia (077) 791219 * to play Rugby!" *
* E-mail - leigh.g...@jcu.edu.au * - Leisure Suit Larry *

Christian Kelly

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
James Smith wrote:

> Leigh Gillespie writes:

> > Regardless of the loyalty agreements, the 20-team comp needs to
> > go. Three quarters of players thought clubs should be cut by the ARL
> > before the year 2000 and those should be the struggling Sydney sides. The
> > ARL should not attempt to prop up clubs that can't survive.
>

> And one of the clubs they didn't think should go was the Gold Coast.

Actually, the away game at the Gold Coast would be a highlight of the year for many
clubs. I'n not at all surprised they want to keep it :-)

--

Cheers

Christian Kelly

"His manuscript was both good and original, but the part that was good
was not original, and the part that was original was not good."

Darren James Murphy

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Christian Kelly <C.K...@edn.gu.edu.au> writes:
-> James Smith wrote:
-> > Leigh Gillespie writes:

-> > And one of the clubs they didn't think should go was the Gold Coast.

-> Actually, the away game at the Gold Coast would be a highlight of the year for many
-> clubs. I'n not at all surprised they want to keep it :-)

Well the 94 Premiers lost at Seagulls, and the Knights don't have a great
record against the Coast up there.

Darren.

James Smith

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Darren James Murphy writes:

> Well the 94 Premiers lost at Seagulls, and the Knights don't have a great
> record against the Coast up there.

I'm not sure what the record is at the moment, but there was a time when the
Knights were the only team against which the Coast had won more than
it had lost. The Knights can be a pretty funny team sometimes. :-)

Jim
--
James J Smith | One of the biggest obstacles to the future
Faculty of Engineering | of computing is C. C is the last attempt

Adam Doughman

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Leigh Gillespie <sci...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

>SUPER LEAGUE
>===========

> * With which group did you originally sign?
> ARL 51%, Super League 48%, neither 1%

> * Do you regret signing with them?
> ARL: No 35, Yes 16
> SL: No 45, Yes 4

> More ARL players regret who they signed with than do SL players.
>While nearly a third of those signed with the ARL regreted it, only about
>10% of the SL aligned wished they'd gone the other way.

Just a quick note on my favourite unfavourite subject:

You must remeber that SL signed a lot of old has-beens who saw their
SL signature as a great way to make a quick buck for very little
effort. Can you imagine players like Les Davidson, Cameron Blair,
Steve Edmed and co. refusing such massive payouts when they only ever
had a few good years left in them?? Further more, the ARL have signed
more of the younger players from young teams - like Norths, Manly and
Newcastle. It is possible that some of these younger players feel left
out of the big money at the moment and regret not signing with SL.

More evidence to distrust statistics!!

Cheers,
Adam

Alois Tusch

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Leigh Gillespie <sci...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

(snip)

>REFEREES
>========

> * How do rate the standard of refereeing this season compared to last?
> WORSE 52%, much worse 21%, the same 19%, better 7%, much better 1%

> * Should the SL referees be reappointed?
> YES 95%, No 5%

> Seventy-three percent of the players thought the refereeing was
>worse or much worse, a big majority. While a massive ninety-five though
>the SL refs should be re-appointed. Again even if the players were voting
>along ARL/SL lines then it's pretty obvious that even the ARL aligned
>players think that Harrigan and co. should be brought back.

I find this extremely interesting, seems like the players who took
part in this poll really reflect what the majority of the rugby league
supporters feel in relation to the administration of Rugby League
Ref's.

Wake up Mick Stone.

For crying out loud get Harrigan and co back NOW.

If the ARL and SL players/coaches can come to some sort of cease fire,
surley the same can be applied to the SL alligned refs.

> * Can the ARL afford a 20-team competition until 2000?
> NO 90%, Yes 10%

Stating the bloody obvious

> * Should clubs be cut before then?
> YES 75%, No 25%

> * If yes, which clubs?
> SOUTHS 35, Balmain 34, St George 11, Wests 9

Souths and Balmain I can understand...........but not the mighty St
George;-)

> The players have spoken. Let debate ensue...

Actually I would really like to know which players did take part in
this poll?

regards

Alois

Chris Cox

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96
Alois Tusch wrote:

> > The players have spoken. Let debate ensue...
>
> Actually I would really like to know which players did take part in
> this poll?

Well, as they do, they got 5 representatives from each of the 20 clubs to answer the
questions, so I think it's a pretty fair spread. People say it means little and that
the players get more propaganda than we do, but I have to wonder. I think it's more
important what the players think than Arthurson and Quayle and co. Guess we'll see what
happens!!!

Cheers
Chris

My apologies for my Broncos home page being unaccessible today, but the server was in
some difficulty, back up and running now!
Brisbane Broncos Home Page
http://student.uq.edu.au/~s335126/schizoid/bronco.htm

> regards
>
> Alois

Scott Garrett

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

ad...@sleeper.apana.org.au (Adam Doughman) wrote:

>Leigh Gillespie <sci...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>SUPER LEAGUE
>>===========
>
>> * With which group did you originally sign?
>> ARL 51%, Super League 48%, neither 1%
>
>> * Do you regret signing with them?
>> ARL: No 35, Yes 16
>> SL: No 45, Yes 4
>

>> More ARL players regret who they signed with than do SL players.
>>While nearly a third of those signed with the ARL regreted it, only about
>>10% of the SL aligned wished they'd gone the other way.
>

>Just a quick note on my favourite unfavourite subject:
>
>You must remeber that SL signed a lot of old has-beens who saw their
>SL signature as a great way to make a quick buck for very little
>effort. Can you imagine players like Les Davidson, Cameron Blair,
>Steve Edmed and co. refusing such massive payouts when they only ever
>had a few good years left in them?? Further more, the ARL have signed
>more of the younger players from young teams - like Norths, Manly and
>Newcastle. It is possible that some of these younger players feel left
>out of the big money at the moment and regret not signing with SL.
>
>More evidence to distrust statistics!!
>
>Cheers,
> Adam

Couldn't agree more, Statistics are a great tool depending on how you read
them?
Catch-Ya-Later!
Does Anyone still remember the Saints
It's a shame that this years State Of Origin series
wasn't a6 game series Blues 3 Qld still running??
Who does own Rugby league this week anyway?