ACCC is useless

Noodle

Apr 18, 2016, 5:05:16 AM4/18/16
What's the point of the ACCC when the actually don't do anything to enforce the law?

Their answer to a Wicked Campervans forcing an illegal Component Pricing scam is to 'write to them'.

Read their reply here:

http://s3.postimg.org/ipoa6rtgz/IMG_20160418_185305.jpg

Pelican

Apr 18, 2016, 5:52:41 AM4/18/16

"Noodle" <noo...@spam.la> wrote in message
The ACCC suggested that you first take up your complaint with the trader,
which is usual in a consumer complaint. Did you?

Noodle

Apr 18, 2016, 6:09:08 AM4/18/16
Yes, I did. But that is irrelevant.

I wanted the ACCC to fine them for breaking the law.

The ACCC refused to look into it.

Why do ACCC exist?

Max

Apr 18, 2016, 6:23:55 AM4/18/16
It would be helpful if you could post a copy of the letter you sent to the ACCC. That way people can understand the issue you have with the company you complained about.

Sylvia Else

Apr 18, 2016, 7:02:03 AM4/18/16
Like any other government entity, the ACCC has a budget. They simply
don't have the resources to follow up on every complaint. If their
database showed that they were receiving many complaints about the
company, they might then decide to allocate resources to it.

I took a look. It appears that they're excluding a liability fee and a
road toll fee from the initial quote. That's a bit naughty but you get
to see the total amount after a couple of clicks, and before you've
entered your personal information.

It's far from the most egregious example on the net.

Sylvia.

Pelican

Apr 18, 2016, 7:45:51 AM4/18/16

> Yes, I did. But that is irrelevant.

No, it's not irrelevant. You aren't the judge, jury and executioner.

> I wanted the ACCC to fine them for breaking the law.

Really? They don't do that.

> The ACCC refused to look into it.

It's more likely that they wanted you to try sorting out your complaint with
the trader first. Did you?

> Why do ACCC exist?

Not to do whatever you demand. So, what happened when you raised the matter
with the trader?

Noodle

Apr 18, 2016, 8:08:42 AM4/18/16
Hello.

> > I wanted the ACCC to fine them for breaking the law.
> Really? They don't do that.

Wrong.

The ACCC fine people all the time. When they want to:

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/kogan-pays-32400-penalty-for-alleged-false-or-misleading-representations-in-a-fathers-day-promotion

In addition to what Sylvia Else said about Departmental budgets, it seems the ACCC makes political decisions about when to Fine someone....if it will look good on the front page of the Daily Telegraph, they will fine; otherwise, they wont.

It seems the best way to get them to actually act is to directly write to all of the Commissioners individually & directly by postal mail, and see who chooses to pursue your issue first:

https://www.accc.gov.au/about-us/australian-competition-consumer-commission/accc-chair-commissioners

I personally won't be taking the issue further; it doesn't mean that much to me.

Other people, with other issues, may have different ideas...I'm sure the ACCC's response above will help them choose their best course of action.

Daniel

Apr 18, 2016, 1:37:30 PM4/18/16
ACCC is just another bunch of Wallys. Just like most other toothless tiger 'authorities' in Australia. The number of expensive investigations that take place with ZERO follow up or any tangible ramifications for the culprits...

Pelican

Apr 18, 2016, 3:27:57 PM4/18/16

> Hello.
>
>> > I wanted the ACCC to fine them for breaking the law.
>> Really? They don't do that.
>
> Wrong.
>
> The ACCC fine people all the time. When they want to:
>
> https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/kogan-pays-32400-penalty-for-alleged-false-or-misleading-representations-in-a-fathers-day-promotion

That's not a fine, although you are free to call it whatever you please.

> In addition to what Sylvia Else said about Departmental budgets, it seems
> the ACCC makes political decisions about when to Fine someone....if it
> will look good on the front page of the Daily Telegraph, they will fine;
> otherwise, they wont.
>
> It seems the best way to get them to actually act is to directly write to
> all of the Commissioners individually & directly by postal mail, and see
> who chooses to pursue your issue first:
>
> https://www.accc.gov.au/about-us/australian-competition-consumer-commission/accc-chair-commissioners
>
> I personally won't be taking the issue further; it doesn't mean that much
> to me.
>
> Other people, with other issues, may have different ideas...I'm sure the
> ACCC's response above will help them choose their best course of action.

And you haven't said what happened when you complained to the trader.

Rod Speed

Apr 20, 2016, 10:38:39 PM4/20/16

"Noodle" <noo...@spam.la> wrote in message
> Yes, I did. But that is irrelevant.
>
> I wanted the ACCC to fine them for breaking the law.
>
> The ACCC refused to look into it.

They actually said that they don't have a dispute resolution service.

> Why do ACCC exist?

To enforce the law that they get to administer.

Peter Jason

Apr 26, 2016, 1:23:22 AM4/26/16
Budget or not they would be more effective making an example of a few
just to frighten the many. Edgar Hoover of the FBI had many of the
bad guys trembling because he was as bad as they.

The tax department probably works with a "short list" for
investigations. Factors pointing to evasions can have all the
resources thrown at them and this makes others wary.