EAT Refund

Trevor Wilson

Apr 24, 2001, 4:58:30 AM4/24/01
Well, I received my EAT refund cheque today. In anticipation I subscribed to
Silicon Chip for two years, after a long chat with Leo Simpson. I encourage
all others, who have an interest in Aussie electronics mags, to do likewise.
My latest issue (May) arrived a very timely manner (yesterday). My partner
made the mistake of asking an innocent question about this remote controlled
aircraft, which landed in Aus today. Since Silicon Chip has an excellent and
detailed article about this aircraft, I was able to bore her to tears with
lots of information she had absolutely no interest in.

Jeez I love this stuff!

Keep it up Leo.Hopefully with all the subs tooling in, Silicon Chip will
just get better.

Shame on you, Mr Cattley, for presiding over the destruction of an excellent
magazine. It is becoming clear to me that Jim Rowe saw the writing on the
wall and, instead of buckling under, he left.

--
Trevor Wilson
http://www.rageaudio.com.au.

Phil Allison

Apr 24, 2001, 5:52:48 AM4/24/01

Trevor Wilson <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message

Federal Publishing should make all these refund cheques payable to Silicon
Chip Publications on request. It would save mucking around with banks and I
bet Leo would get a big kick out of it - straight from their bank into his.

Regards, Phil

David L. Jones

Apr 24, 2001, 8:36:26 AM4/24/01
Trevor Wilson <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
> Well, I received my EAT refund cheque today. In anticipation I subscribed
> Silicon Chip for two years, after a long chat with Leo Simpson. I
encourage
> all others, who have an interest in Aussie electronics mags, to do
likewise.
> My latest issue (May) arrived a very timely manner (yesterday). My partner
> made the mistake of asking an innocent question about this remote
controlled
> aircraft, which landed in Aus today. Since Silicon Chip has an excellent
and
> detailed article about this aircraft, I was able to bore her to tears with
> lots of information she had absolutely no interest in.

Got my refund today too :)

> Shame on you, Mr Cattley, for presiding over the destruction of an
excellent
> magazine. It is becoming clear to me that Jim Rowe saw the writing on the
> wall and, instead of buckling under, he left.

I've heard that is why Jim left, but stayed on as a freelance contributor (I
don't know how accurate the "Contributing Editor" title is (which he still
holds with EAT)). Didn't have to live with the shame of having killed EA,
and less stress to boot. Smart guy.

Dave :)

Kendrick

Apr 24, 2001, 10:39:09 AM4/24/01
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 08:58:30 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
<tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

I hope I get mine soon too :) Ive emailed - but so far no reply (I
guess the "cheque is in the mail" ?)

I agree - Great article on the "global hawk" ! It is amazing what you
can build when you have a military budget behind you isn't it :)

Yes - it was a despicable destruction of a great publication, I must
admit in the last issue of EA when they were going on and on and on
about "change" in the editorial - and in just about every column in
the mag, It made my skin crawl that they were setting us up for
something REALLY nasty......... Whole thing stinks to high heaven.
If they had to do this EAT Crap - why couldnt they have done it as a
side publication like Silicon Chip do with Zoom ?

I and no doubt many others have learned an incredible amount from
these 2 mags over the last 24 years

Im not saying anything against silicon Chip - in fact I love both
magazines and they both had great projects and articles and I felt
that they complemented each other..

Anyway - lets get behind silicon chip. With any luck - the cream of
the former EA will no doubt find a new home there :)

bob parker

Apr 24, 2001, 11:05:08 AM4/24/01
Kendrick <ken...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Yes - it was a despicable destruction of a great publication, I must
>admit in the last issue of EA when they were going on and on and on
>about "change" in the editorial - and in just about every column in
>the mag, It made my skin crawl that they were setting us up for
>something REALLY nasty......... Whole thing stinks to high heaven.

My thoughts entirely!

>Anyway - lets get behind silicon chip. With any luck - the cream of
>the former EA will no doubt find a new home there :)

Yep. I understand that most of the SC staff are ex-EA anyway, and
now with Jim Rowe contributing too, I expect it to become even more
like the EA we all knew and loved. I've got my doubts that we'll be
seeing the name of Graham Cattley on the list of contributors though.
I just received my May 2001 copy and was impressed... I should have
thought of subscribing before the destruction of EA motivated me to do
it.
And I got my refund cheque from Federal Publications yesterday too!
:)

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Parker- electronics technician, Sydney Australia
home page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar

Heath Young

Apr 24, 2001, 7:24:59 PM4/24/01
Yep - I gave up EA years ago actually - what happened was a long time in
happening and gradually got worse :(

Silicon chip is the new star :)

Dion Mikkelsen

Apr 26, 2001, 3:48:56 AM4/26/01
<snip>

Hmmm ... I'm still waiting for a reply to my request for cancellations. Maybe
their ignorance of readership has extended to ignoring anything bad?

Dion M.
http://dionsplace.terrashare.com/

"It takes a lot of brains to enjoy satire, humour and wit - but none to be offended by them."

Kendrick

Apr 26, 2001, 9:15:13 AM4/26/01
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:48:56 GMT, dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion
Mikkelsen) wrote:

Im still waiting too. Oh well - I will give it a couple more weeks
and then it will be time for a visit to consumer affairs (after a
reminder of course) Email hasnt been acknowledged

bob parker

Apr 26, 2001, 11:35:13 AM4/26/01
Kendrick <ken...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Im still waiting too. Oh well - I will give it a couple more weeks
>and then it will be time for a visit to consumer affairs (after a
>reminder of course) Email hasnt been acknowledged

G'day,
In my e-mail demanding a refund, I pointed out that there are
consumer laws regarding the fitness of goods and services for the
purpose for which they were purchased, and that this "EAT" thing is
not what I subscribed to. I got my refund a few days ago, so maybe you
could try the same approach. Good luck!

Wilfred Kazoks

Apr 26, 2001, 3:11:31 PM4/26/01
I got mine today. So that was about a week.
I rang the sub dept not email, FYI in case it makes a difference.

Regards Wilfred
"Kendrick" <ken...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

Dion Mikkelsen

Apr 26, 2001, 7:07:51 PM4/26/01
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:15:13 +1000, Kendrick <ken...@ozemail.com.au> wrote,
after pausing and ensuring that what they were going to write was not absolute
gobbledy-gook:

>On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:48:56 GMT, dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion
>Mikkelsen) wrote:
>

>Im still waiting too. Oh well - I will give it a couple more weeks
>and then it will be time for a visit to consumer affairs (after a
>reminder of course) Email hasnt been acknowledged

I sent the email again last night; and cc'd it to the editor. I got the
standard reply that everyone else has got, with no mention of "we're following
up the cancellation".

Silly innit? They claim to be listening to their readers, yet they don't even
bother to read reader emails, let alone answer them usefully! I don't care if
they claim to be listening to readers, I just want my money back!

Tony Turner

Apr 26, 2001, 9:53:07 PM4/26/01
I sent a polite email, received a polite (standard) reply, and a refund
cheque within a few days. Perhaps they are overwhelmed with the sheer volume
of cancellations.

"Kendrick" <ken...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

: On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:48:56 GMT, dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion

:

David L. Jones

Apr 27, 2001, 4:23:55 AM4/27/01
Kendrick <ken...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:48:56 GMT, dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion
> Mikkelsen) wrote:
>

> Im still waiting too. Oh well - I will give it a couple more weeks
> and then it will be time for a visit to consumer affairs (after a
> reminder of course) Email hasnt been acknowledged

Did you get the right email?
su...@fpc.com.au
I got a nice personalised response from Karen someone within a few hours and
the cheque a few days later.
It also pays to be nice, these are the subs people and have nothing to do
with EAT.
An email to Graham Cattley or any of the standard EAT addresses will never
get a reply.
You should include your name, address and subscription number.

Dave :)

Kendrick

Apr 27, 2001, 9:53:46 AM4/27/01
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:23:55 +1000, "David L. Jones"
<dlj...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

yep - no reply.............ive resent

bob parker

Apr 27, 2001, 10:33:29 AM4/27/01
"David L. Jones" <dlj...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Did you get the right email?
>su...@fpc.com.au
>I got a nice personalised response from Karen someone within a few hours and
>the cheque a few days later.
>It also pays to be nice, these are the subs people and have nothing to do
>with EAT.
>An email to Graham Cattley or any of the standard EAT addresses will never
>get a reply.
>You should include your name, address and subscription number.
>
>Dave :)

That's the e-mail address I used, and I also receieved what appeared
to be a personal reply from Karen. I didn't know my subscription
number, just gave my name and postal address and got the refund
anyway...

Bob

David L. Jones

Apr 27, 2001, 10:38:46 PM4/27/01

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:23:55 +1000, "David L. Jones"
> <dlj...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>

> yep - no reply.............ive resent

That's strange, everyone else I know got a reply and most have the cheque
already.

Dave :)

Dion Mikkelsen

Apr 27, 2001, 11:49:23 PM4/27/01
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:23:55 +1000, "David L. Jones" <dlj...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote, after pausing and ensuring that what they were going to write was not
absolute gobbledy-gook:

>Did you get the right email?
>su...@fpc.com.au

Yup.

>I got a nice personalised response from Karen someone within a few hours and
>the cheque a few days later.

Zip so far.

>It also pays to be nice, these are the subs people and have nothing to do
>with EAT.

Of course.

>An email to Graham Cattley or any of the standard EAT addresses will never
>get a reply.

Except the standard "we're listening to our readers" and fails to read the
content of the email :)

>You should include your name, address and subscription number.

Yep. Still waiting for reply to request #2 ...

David L. Jones

Apr 28, 2001, 2:01:01 AM4/28/01
Dion Mikkelsen <dmikk...@start.com.au> wrote in message

> >An email to Graham Cattley or any of the standard EAT addresses will
never
> >get a reply.
>
> Except the standard "we're listening to our readers" and fails to read the
> content of the email :)

I haven't been privileged enough to even get one of those yet!

Dave :)

Dion Mikkelsen

Apr 29, 2001, 4:23:48 AM4/29/01
On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 16:01:01 +1000, "David L. Jones" <dlj...@ozemail.com.au>

wrote, after pausing and ensuring that what they were going to write was not
absolute gobbledy-gook:

>Dion Mikkelsen <dmikk...@start.com.au> wrote in message

I sent a "I want my money back" and not a single comment about the magazine, and
I got the "we're listening to our readers and our change of direction is what
they wanted ..." reply.

:)

David Milne

Apr 29, 2001, 2:47:01 PM4/29/01
Dion Mikkelsen wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 16:01:01 +1000, "David L. Jones" <dlj...@ozemail.com.au>
> wrote, after pausing and ensuring that what they were going to write was not
> absolute gobbledy-gook:
>
> >Dion Mikkelsen <dmikk...@start.com.au> wrote in message
> >never
> >>
> >> Except the standard "we're listening to our readers" and fails to read the
> >> content of the email :)
> >
> >I haven't been privileged enough to even get one of those yet!
>
> I sent a "I want my money back" and not a single comment about the magazine, and
> I got the "we're listening to our readers and our change of direction is what
> they wanted ..." reply.

Perhaps we should all write a response that says:
"Well, I wasn't asked about which direction I think EA should take."

In the words of that small puppet baby from the Comedy Company and in the Toyota
commercials many years ago..."WHO'S WESPONSIBLE ?? !!"...

Good question...

> :)
>
> Dion M.
> http://dionsplace.terrashare.com/
>
> "It takes a lot of brains to enjoy satire, humour and wit - but none to be offended by them."

--
Regards

David Milne
ICQ 37590068