VW LT 28 non existant engine bay

Tim

Mar 2, 2011, 1:10:31 AM3/2/11
Was with the daughter today while listening to the damage to buy a new
electric windows control switch. $600 for a newy. The hard working
auto-electrician said he was trying to make one good one out of 2 half
rooted ones. It was about then I noticed the VW van with the tiny hood
up revealing a squashed 2.5l diesel. I mean the gap the mechy had to
work in was about 8" wide by 2'foot long. He was pissed off,..so I didnt
hassle him too much asking about the Sonata POS's problems

And Al reckons he had some poor working conditions :-)))

Tim

Message has been deleted

Tim

Mar 2, 2011, 3:37:23 AM3/2/11
Blue Heeler wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>

>> It was about then I noticed the VW van with
>> the tiny hood up revealing a squashed 2.5l diesel. I mean the gap the
>> mechy had to work in was about 8" wide by 2'foot long. He was pissed
>> off,..so I didnt hassle him too much asking about the Sonata POS's
>> problems
>>

> Funny that, I visited my favourite mechanic the other day and he was
> working on one. He reckoned that for anything more complicated than
> servicing the smart move is to drop the entire front
> suspension/engine/gearbox out of the thing - apparently it only takes
> 15 minutes or so once you have done it a couple of times.

LOL!! ;-0

Tim

Clocky

Mar 2, 2011, 4:41:36 AM3/2/11

Errr, dunno why you are laughing, that's the way they and a lot of vehicles
made in the last decade are designed to be worked on.

Dropping the who shebang out the bottom takes little time.

Atheist Chaplain

Mar 2, 2011, 6:57:34 AM3/2/11

"Blue Heeler" <osd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Tim wrote:
>
>> It was about then I noticed the VW van with
>> the tiny hood up revealing a squashed 2.5l diesel. I mean the gap the
>> mechy had to work in was about 8" wide by 2'foot long. He was pissed
>> off,..so I didnt hassle him too much asking about the Sonata POS's
>> problems
>>

> Funny that, I visited my favourite mechanic the other day and he was
> working on one. He reckoned that for anything more complicated than
> servicing the smart move is to drop the entire front
> suspension/engine/gearbox out of the thing - apparently it only takes
> 15 minutes or so once you have done it a couple of times.
>
> --

Sounds like how we used to work on a mates mini :-)

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

John_H

Mar 2, 2011, 5:22:25 PM3/2/11
Blue Heeler wrote:
>Tim wrote:
>
>> It was about then I noticed the VW van with
>> the tiny hood up revealing a squashed 2.5l diesel. I mean the gap the
>> mechy had to work in was about 8" wide by 2'foot long. He was pissed
>> off,..so I didnt hassle him too much asking about the Sonata POS's
>> problems
>>

>Funny that, I visited my favourite mechanic the other day and he was
>working on one. He reckoned that for anything more complicated than
>servicing the smart move is to drop the entire front
>suspension/engine/gearbox out of the thing - apparently it only takes
>15 minutes or so once you have done it a couple of times.

Sounds like VW have gotten really complicated.... it only used to take
10 minutes to drop the engine out of a Beetle! :)

--
John H

Jordan

Mar 2, 2011, 5:39:13 PM3/2/11
On 3/3/2011 9:22 AM, John_H wrote:

> Sounds like VW have gotten really complicated.... it only used to take
> 10 minutes to drop the engine out of a Beetle! :)

Yeah, but it took 30 minutes to put it back in. :)

Jordan

Mar 2, 2011, 5:42:21 PM3/2/11
On 3/2/2011 5:10 PM, Tim wrote:
> Was with the daughter today while listening to the damage to buy a new
> electric windows control switch. $600 for a newy.

My friend Jodie paid $900 for a winder for her Renault Megane. She "will
never buy a European car again".

Tim

Mar 2, 2011, 6:04:49 PM3/2/11
That is criminal. My '67 R10 didnt have exorbitant prices like that.
Where's the fair-trading people or dont they get a say because it from
over seas?

Tim

Jordan

Mar 2, 2011, 6:41:19 PM3/2/11

>> My friend Jodie paid $900 for a winder for her Renault Megane. She
>> "will never buy a European car again".
> That is criminal. My '67 R10 didnt have exorbitant prices like that.
> Where's the fair-trading people or dont they get a say because it from
> over seas?
>
> Tim

I dunno - greedy importers?

Bernd Felsche

Mar 2, 2011, 9:32:22 PM3/2/11
Jordan <ko...@koora.net> wrote:

Blithering idiot.

Should have bought it online and saved $800 or more.

The 21st century provides a new scale of opportunity when "shopping
around".
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
X against HTML mail | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \ and postings | --HL Mencken

Jordan

Mar 2, 2011, 10:39:28 PM3/2/11
On 3/3/2011 1:32 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> Blithering idiot.
>
> Should have bought it online and saved $800 or more.

Is this an example of shifting the blame from the seller to the buyer?
Her view is that the buying the Renault was the dumb part.

Tim

Mar 2, 2011, 11:36:58 PM3/2/11
One thing that people should realise, is that *if* the exotic car is
reliable, you wont need to buy parts very often. I can remember a mate's
Fiarto 125 needed a fuel-pump. This was in ;76. From Fiat the price was
$170,..mine didnt shit itself thatnk God. The '95 Camry, has not needed
any parts that wore out due design. Sure the radiator split, but that
was due to a missing support bolt. The clutch needed replacing, but that
also can be exzpected. Nothing else has failed which includes the
exzhaust, ignition fuel-pump etc etc If Renault made cars like they
used to >>R8 R10 R16 , then you could exzpect trouble free motoring. I
guess there will always be the exzception or two... but in the broader
perspective the name of the manufacturewr should be the deciding factor

Tim

Jeßus

Mar 3, 2011, 1:49:04 AM3/3/11
On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:39:28 +1100, Jordan <ko...@koora.net> wrote:

>On 3/3/2011 1:32 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>>
>> Blithering idiot.
>>
>> Should have bought it online and saved $800 or more.
>>
>Is this an example of shifting the blame from the seller to the buyer?

No, more like the Teutonic version of empathy ;)

>Her view is that the buying the Renault was the dumb part.

Yep. I'll tell you what - if and when I buy another new car, I'll be
checking out the parts prices etc. in great detail.

Bernd Felsche

Mar 3, 2011, 1:46:12 AM3/3/11
Jordan <ko...@koora.net> wrote:
>On 3/3/2011 1:32 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:

>> Blithering idiot.
>>
>> Should have bought it online and saved $800 or more.

>Is this an example of shifting the blame from the seller to the buyer?

Absolutely. The seller will sell at whatever price they can get. A
butcher can charge $1000 for a pork chop. But if there are no buyers
silly enough to buy at that price, then the butcher has to lower the
price to a level where enough people are sucked in so as to make a
profit. It ultimately gets down to exploiting ignorance, fears,
apathy and gullibility.

They rely on the fact that the prospective buyer isn't interested
in, afraid to or so innumerate as to not be able to tell that pork
chops cost less than $5 down the road.

caveat emptor

The dumb part was complaining about getting sucked into paying $900
for a part that's likely available from elsewhere for very, very
much less.

Jordan

Mar 3, 2011, 2:11:14 AM3/3/11
On 3/3/2011 5:46 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> The dumb part was complaining about getting sucked into paying $900
> for a part that's likely available from elsewhere for very, very
> much less.

It might be complaining, but it's also the sound of consumers sharing
experiences. I'm glad to hear these complaints as they might save me
from some grief. My view is that extreme prices are artificial,
predatory and ultimately reflect badly on the seller.
Online fishing expeditions aren't for everyone.

Tim

Mar 5, 2011, 3:01:53 AM3/5/11
> Well, in the two cases I observed, the mechanic was doing the repair with all the shit still in the body,...call it misinformation if you like clocky. I dont make the shit up :-)

Tim

Clocky

Mar 5, 2011, 3:45:05 AM3/5/11

"Tim" <t...@timber.com> wrote in message

I'm not commenting on that, I've seen mechanics do all sorts of stuff that
doesn't make any sense but they do it because they don't know any better or
they are incompetent.

I was just commenting on your LOL as if what was said was a joke. It isn't,
what I said in reply is true, dropping the whole shebang out the bottom of
the car is quicker and the recommended method!

Clocky

Mar 5, 2011, 3:48:29 AM3/5/11

"Jordan" <ko...@koora.net> wrote in message

Try one for a Hyundai... I think you got off lightly.

Last time I went in for a power window master switch they wanted $1100 for
it... I fixed it in 10 minutes using a 5c splitpin.

Noddy

Mar 5, 2011, 5:11:09 AM3/5/11

"Clocky" wrote in message

> Last time I went in for a power window master switch they wanted $1100 for
> it... I fixed it in 10 minutes using a 5c splitpin.

Someone's having a lend of you surely.

I replaced a almost complete front clip for a then 2 year old Getz that my
mungbean sister slammed into a parked car some time ago. It got a new
bonnet, grille insert & badge, bumper & reinforcement, bumper moulds &
clips, a pair of headlights, a left hand guard & inner splash, a left hand
door mirror and a radiator support panel and the whole lot cost just under
1500 bucks brand new in pretty little "Hyundai" boxes from the Hyundai parts
supplier.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Clocky

Mar 5, 2011, 12:03:53 PM3/5/11

"Noddy" <m...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Clocky" wrote in message
>
>> Last time I went in for a power window master switch they wanted $1100
>> for it... I fixed it in 10 minutes using a 5c splitpin.
>
> Someone's having a lend of you surely.

Nope, I checked around. Wasn't for a Getz, but for a Elantra from memory.

Tim

Mar 5, 2011, 2:23:11 PM3/5/11

Fair enough. I dont know what they were working on in the vam I saw.
Perhaps it was a small job on top of the motor...For the life of me, I
cant understand why they just dont make the forward end a little bit
longer . to get some exztra servicing room.

Tim

Message has been deleted

Clocky

Mar 6, 2011, 11:58:26 AM3/6/11

"Toby Ponsenby" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Pretty evident that VW, Mercedes, Renault, and the rest are simply
> building
> vehicles that deter owners and others without hoists engine/gearbox cradle
> equipped jacks etc from working on their stuff.

The manufacturers largely don't give a fuck about the after sales stuff...
it has more to do with reducing production costs and speeding up production
lines. Most cars won't have a major problem in warranty (ok, there are
exceptions like the Kia Carnival dud) but even then it works out cheaper to
do major repairs if all you have to do is take out a few bolts, pull a plug
or two and drop the whole lot out the bottom for easy access.

As for manufacturers doing it to try to prevent home mechanics from doing
home repairs, well that's a pretty small minority of customers that will
attempt to do repairs of that nature so there is very little reason to
consider them in the first place. Any such repairs are trivial for a
workshop with an expected level of minimum equipment and competent staff.

Noddy

Mar 6, 2011, 4:38:29 PM3/6/11

"Clocky" wrote in message

> As for manufacturers doing it to try to prevent home mechanics from doing
> home repairs, well that's a pretty small minority of customers that will
> attempt to do repairs of that nature so there is very little reason to
> consider them in the first place. Any such repairs are trivial for a
> workshop with an expected level of minimum equipment and competent staff.

It's not home mechanics most manufacturers are trying to exclude, it's
anyone *other* than the dealership network.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Jordan

Mar 6, 2011, 5:24:41 PM3/6/11

> It's not home mechanics most manufacturers are trying to exclude, it's
> anyone *other* than the dealership network.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

I think that's right.
The only power that buyers have, is before you buy. If enough people
walked away when shown "future problems", sellers would respond with
better (for us) products.
But, those TV adverts are so compelling. Better take your BS detector
with you, when shopping around.

Message has been deleted

Clocky

Mar 6, 2011, 7:09:59 PM3/6/11

What workshop doesn't have a hoist and basic tooling?

Clocky

Mar 6, 2011, 7:15:59 PM3/6/11
Toby Ponsenby wrote:
> Indeed - The non-dealer workshops have to spring for all sorts of
> 'adaptable' gear while the dealers nail the speshul stuff. For a
> price, of course, but they get the captive market.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If you want to work on such cars you
either make up or buy the tools (or improvise) and charge appropriately or
you don't take it on. Pretty simple.

> I remember the Local Rolls dealer having an exquisite little lifting
> crane. It clamped over the engine and had a geared winch with speshul
> fittings to attatch to the engine.
> Why?
> The Engine needed to be lifted a precise distance to allow a fan belt
> change. A tad more (all of this in The Book) for a power steering
> belt.
> I was told there were other settings for all manner of other work to
> be accomplished:-)

Noddy

Mar 6, 2011, 8:09:44 PM3/6/11

"Toby Ponsenby" wrote in message

> Indeed - The non-dealer workshops have to spring for all sorts of
> 'adaptable' gear while the dealers nail the speshul stuff. For a price, of
> course, but they get the captive market.

Even then there are some procedures that can't be performed outside the
dealer network regardless of how well equipped you may be, and as far as I'm
aware such activity is illegal.

I used to keep an extensive library of "factory" workshop manuals, as they
were always an invaluable source of information. I've still got a few but
most of them were handed over as workshop stock when I sold the business
years ago. I'd usually buy one when each new mainstream model came out, or
for anything that I used to see a lot of for fleet servicing.

However, I stopped buying them once the price of a printed manual hit a
thousand bucks :)

> I remember the Local Rolls dealer having an exquisite little lifting
> crane.
> It clamped over the engine and had a geared winch with speshul fittings to
> attatch to the engine.
> Why?
> The Engine needed to be lifted a precise distance to allow a fan belt
> change. A tad more (all of this in The Book) for a power steering belt.
> I was told there were other settings for all manner of other work to be
> accomplished:-)

Grouse.

Nothing like paying the price of an average house for a car that looks like
it was designed in a sheltered workshop :)

> Kinda begs the question about hose particular three ton trucks - was their
> COG or engine room soo fucken delicate as to 'require' such measures when
> the Yanks, ferinstance, would simply have positioned the engine higher in
> the first place.

It's the mindset of the people making the things. The English have a history
of building stuff with very little consideration given to ever needing to
repair it, which is particularly odd given how frequently English stuff
actually *needs* to be repaired.

Their lunacy is only surpassed by the Italians. And only just.

> It wasn't as if frontal area was at issue for 60's and 70's Rollers - the
> cabin still needed to allow wearing a top hat, and the chauffer should
> have
> been qualified on trucks, anyway.

No doubt things are being done very differently today now that RR is no
longer an English concern.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

Mar 6, 2011, 8:15:42 PM3/6/11

"Clocky" wrote in message

> Where there is a will, there is a way. If you want to work on such cars
> you either make up or buy the tools (or improvise) and charge
> appropriately or you don't take it on. Pretty simple.

Sometimes you don't have that choice.

Take the modern car "key with built in immobiliser" bullshit for example.
Not only is it obscene that most manufacturers charge 5-6-700 bucks for a
replacement key, but unless you've got two keys in your possession you
*can't* program a new fob to suit the car and have no choice but to take the
car to a dealer and be subjected to whatever they feel like charging you to
do it.

The logic behind this is completely bizarre.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

Mar 6, 2011, 8:18:34 PM3/6/11

"Clocky" wrote in message

> What workshop doesn't have a hoist and basic tooling?

None that I would imagine, but it goes *much* deeper than that.
Manufacturers seem to be on a deliberate course of making the service and/or
repair of most new cars as difficult as possible without access to
dealership supplied equipment.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Clocky

Mar 6, 2011, 9:24:31 PM3/6/11

The dealership doesn't have exclusive access to the equipment, and they pay
a premium for it.

Noddy

Mar 7, 2011, 1:13:51 AM3/7/11

"Clocky" wrote in message

> The dealership doesn't have exclusive access to the equipment, and they
> pay a premium for it.

Try being an independent and getting the manufacturer to supply you with the
equipment *and* the information required to use it :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Bernd Felsche

Mar 7, 2011, 1:26:18 AM3/7/11
"Clocky" <not...@happen.com> wrote:
>Noddy wrote:
>> "Clocky" wrote:

>>> What workshop doesn't have a hoist and basic tooling?

>> None that I would imagine, but it goes *much* deeper than that.
>> Manufacturers seem to be on a deliberate course of making the service
>> and/or repair of most new cars as difficult as possible without
>> access to dealership supplied equipment.

>The dealership doesn't have exclusive access to the equipment, and
>they pay a premium for it.

Actually, they do have exclusive accessto some.
Try replacing anything related to the immobiliser in a modern VW.
That includes the instrument cluster or the ignition key.

They can only be fixed when hooked up to the manufacturer's private
network. The alternative is to break the law and to use the same
sort of device that's readily available to the black-hats; which the
locking out of access by VW is ostensibly supposed to frustrate.

Well, lawyers may be that naive.

Jordan

Mar 7, 2011, 4:14:28 PM3/7/11
On 3/7/2011 11:15 AM, Clocky wrote:

> Where there is a will, there is a way. If you want to work on such cars you
> either make up or buy the tools (or improvise) and charge appropriately or
> you don't take it on. Pretty simple.

In the '70s I owned a Suzuki motorbike. No special tools were needed to
completely dismantle the engine, except to remove the alternator rotor -
but the rear axle was the perfect tool!
Designing for easy service is no longer the norm.

Jordan

Mar 7, 2011, 4:15:12 PM3/7/11
On 3/7/2011 11:09 AM, Clocky wrote:

I don't have or want a hoist.

Jordan

Mar 7, 2011, 4:20:13 PM3/7/11
On 3/7/2011 5:26 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> Try replacing anything related to the immobiliser in a modern VW.
> That includes the instrument cluster or the ignition key.
>
> They can only be fixed when hooked up to the manufacturer's private
> network.

Wow, it's worse than I thought. From annoying, to frustrating, and now
disgusting. I'll ask the salesman to delete that anti-theft feature from
the options list.

F Murtz

Mar 7, 2011, 6:18:24 PM3/7/11
Do you have a motor repair workshop?

F Murtz

Mar 7, 2011, 6:37:54 PM3/7/11
OOPs this should have been addressed to Jordan or whoever said," I don't

Bernd Felsche

Mar 7, 2011, 9:07:11 PM3/7/11

It's a government-mandated feature.
You can't sell a car if it doesn't have one.

atec77

Mar 7, 2011, 9:38:58 PM3/7/11
On 8/03/2011 12:07 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> Jordan<ko...@koora.net> wrote:
>> On 3/7/2011 5:26 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>
>>> Try replacing anything related to the immobiliser in a modern VW.
>>> That includes the instrument cluster or the ignition key.
>>>
>>> They can only be fixed when hooked up to the manufacturer's private
>>> network.
>
>> Wow, it's worse than I thought. From annoying, to frustrating, and now
>> disgusting. I'll ask the salesman to delete that anti-theft feature from
>> the options list.
>
> It's a government-mandated feature.
> You can't sell a car if it doesn't have one.
It is possible to shit it down or modify it without the dealers input
BUT many wont have the resources to do so or the knowledge

Fraser Johnston

Mar 8, 2011, 12:59:19 AM3/8/11

Thank god for the internet. Grabbed the workshop manual for the
Jackaroo off the net on Friday night. Let me know all the torque
settings for everything. Without it I would of been guessing. The
thing was 3500 pages. Thank god it was a pdf.

Fraser

Jordan

Mar 8, 2011, 5:48:25 AM3/8/11
On 3/8/2011 1:07 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
I'll ask the salesman to delete that anti-theft feature from
>> the options list.
>
> It's a government-mandated feature.
> You can't sell a car if it doesn't have one.

Governments sometimes do the wrong thing with good intentions. Could be
the MTA had their ear? If it's true that only dealers can make your car
driveable, then you don't really own your own car.

Jordan

Mar 8, 2011, 6:04:50 AM3/8/11
On 3/8/2011 10:37 AM, F Murtz wrote:

>> Do you have a motor repair workshop?
> OOPs this should have been addressed to Jordan or whoever said," I don't
> have or want a hoist. "

I repair lots of things in my home workshop, but have no need for even a
basic hoist. I've seen hoists in enthusiasts' home garages, and sure it
would be handy at times, but there's always another way. I think I might
eventually do an outside pit, to make oil changes easier.

Noddy

Mar 8, 2011, 6:46:14 AM3/8/11
On 8/03/2011 10:04 PM, Jordan wrote:

> I repair lots of things in my home workshop, but have no need for even a
> basic hoist. I've seen hoists in enthusiasts' home garages, and sure it
> would be handy at times, but there's always another way. I think I might
> eventually do an outside pit, to make oil changes easier.

Don't waste your time.

Pits are dangerous at the best of times, and an outside pit is only ever
going to be a water/spider/snake pit. If a permanently mounted hoist
isn't your bag, then look at a portable one or a good jack & set of stands.

Usually the only pits you're likely to see around these days are ones
that are full of junk or have been filled in with concrete slurry.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Message has been deleted

F Murtz

Mar 8, 2011, 7:20:17 AM3/8/11

I thought they were discussing commercial workshops when he said,"

What workshop doesn't have a hoist and basic tooling?"

Although I have a pit my grandfather put in probably over sixty years
ago but I have not been able to get at it for years (Too much rubbish
over it)it is probably full of marine monsters.

Bernd Felsche

Mar 8, 2011, 10:46:11 AM3/8/11

Access to the information is global policy for the manufacturer.
There's no law (AFAIK) that says that only dealerships can do that
sort of work. There are in fact laws that require manufacturers to
make repair information available.

It's simply a stupid way to do it. If the Internet is "down", even
the dealer can't make the car go. The protocols are "secret". The
equipment proprietary. There is no published, alternative method.
That's fallen by the wayside.

Circumvention tools are illegal to acquire, own and operate under
other laws.

If your $120,000 Touareg breaks down near Meeka. and it needs e.g.
a new ECU to make it go again, you're in for a very, very expensive
tow. You can't just put up your feet at the pub waiting for the part
to arrive.

Jordan

Mar 8, 2011, 5:25:21 PM3/8/11
On 3/9/2011 2:46 AM, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> If your $120,000 Touareg breaks down near Meeka. and it needs e.g.
> a new ECU to make it go again, you're in for a very, very expensive
> tow. You can't just put up your feet at the pub waiting for the part
> to arrive.

I can't see how that helps me at all.

Jordan

Mar 8, 2011, 5:32:07 PM3/8/11
On 3/8/2011 10:46 PM, Noddy wrote:

> Pits are dangerous at the best of times, and an outside pit is only ever
> going to be a water/spider/snake pit.

I think I can manage the potential danger, although the pit snake is a
real possibility. I like the idea of not needing motors etc like a
hoist, plus it doesn't take up space.

Tim

Mar 8, 2011, 5:48:58 PM3/8/11
Toby Ponsenby wrote:
> Indeed...
> But what you missed is the caper the Dealers and Manufacturers are running.
> GovCo "makes them" put stuff on the cars.
> So the poor sodding victims mercilessly jack up the prices of everything
> associated with the GovCo mandate. Tried to buy a seatbelt from a car
> dealer recently?

Yeah, at over $200 I got one from the wreckers for $30.

Tim

John_H

Mar 8, 2011, 6:13:24 PM3/8/11
Tim wrote:

>Toby Ponsenby wrote:
>>
>> So the poor sodding victims mercilessly jack up the prices of everything
>> associated with the GovCo mandate. Tried to buy a seatbelt from a car
>> dealer recently?
>>
>Yeah, at over $200 I got one from the wreckers for $30.

Wreckers must've lowered their standards (or else the government
inspectors are too busy persecuting others)!

They used to cut the seatbelts on any car that came through their
yards so they couldn't be re-used... which AFAIK was a legal
requirement.

Either way, you're one very brave man! :)

--
John H

atec77

Mar 8, 2011, 8:29:53 PM3/8/11
Used ?
don't use it
instead try a purchase from the states
perhaps rocky mountain european ?

Tim

Mar 9, 2011, 12:37:22 AM3/9/11
FFS, John, they're either torn or not torn,..ohh you are going to regale
me about stressed fibres aftewr a prang :-) ??

Tim

John_H

Mar 9, 2011, 1:18:33 AM3/9/11

I couldn't give a flying fuck if you choose not to wear one... that's
precisely how evolution is supposed to work. It's the innocent
victims I'm concerned about... like the poor bloke whose GF was killed
when she wasn't wearing hers (served her right). Catapulted through
the windscreen and ended up 50 metres down the road dead as a maggot.
You'll never guess what they found in her hand.

He probably qualified for a Darwin Award though!

This might be relevent, since you probably don't know where yours had
been.... http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/LBU_VS_IB_113.pdf

--
John H

Tim

Mar 9, 2011, 8:51:07 PM3/9/11
John_H wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> John_H wrote:

>>> Wreckers must've lowered their standards (or else the government
>>> inspectors are too busy persecuting others)!
>>>
>>> They used to cut the seatbelts on any car that came through their
>>> yards so they couldn't be re-used... which AFAIK was a legal
>>> requirement.
>>>
>>> Either way, you're one very brave man! :)
>>>

>> FFS, John, they're either torn or not torn,..ohh you are going to regale
>> me about stressed fibres aftewr a prang :-) ??
>>
> I couldn't give a flying fuck if you choose not to wear one... that's
> precisely how evolution is supposed to work.
I aint outa the gene-pool yet !! :-)

> It's the innocent
> victims I'm concerned about... like the poor bloke whose GF was killed
> when she wasn't wearing hers (served her right). Catapulted through
> the windscreen and ended up 50 metres down the road dead as a maggot.
> You'll never guess what they found in her hand.

Not wearing a seat-belt is utterly, unadulterated, stupidity.

She had his genitalia in her hand?

> He probably qualified for a Darwin Award though!
>
> This might be relevent, since you probably don't know where yours had
> been.... http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/LBU_VS_IB_113.pdf

Having trouble with PDF but I get the message. If they have suffered a
shock (stretched) there is a case,..no doubt. Tks for the heads-up.

Tim

Clocky

Mar 11, 2011, 6:50:48 PM3/11/11

The manufacturer wouldn't be all that interested, you need to speak to the
suppliers!

For example:

http://www.etoolcart.com/
http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moore-Tools_bymfg_131-0-1.html

Clocky

Mar 11, 2011, 6:55:47 PM3/11/11
Jordan wrote:
> On 3/7/2011 5:26 PM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>>
>> Try replacing anything related to the immobiliser in a modern VW.
>> That includes the instrument cluster or the ignition key.
>>
>> They can only be fixed when hooked up to the manufacturer's private
>> network.

Same as Holden has had for years then.

> Wow, it's worse than I thought. From annoying, to frustrating, and now
> disgusting. I'll ask the salesman to delete that anti-theft feature
> from the options list.

Don't be rediculous, immobilisers have reduced the theft of cars by
opportunistic thieves by a huge factor.

Clocky

Mar 11, 2011, 6:59:31 PM3/11/11

I filled mine in, it's risks far outweighed any gains... as Noddy said, a
decent jack and stands or ramps even is a much better option.

Jordan

Mar 11, 2011, 7:38:28 PM3/11/11
On 3/12/2011 10:55 AM, Clocky wrote:
I'll ask the salesman to delete that anti-theft feature
>> from the options list.
>
> Don't be rediculous, immobilisers have reduced the theft of cars by
> opportunistic thieves by a huge factor.

I was joking about being able to delete the feature, as if we have a
real choice.
There's no such thing as a free lunch they say, and the total true cost
of immobilisers has to be weighed against the cost of theft. How many
cars did you lose to theft before immobilisers? I only had 2 disappear,
and I got them both back - just borrowed I guess. Insurance companies
are beneficiaries of immobilisers, so premiums must be lower for us now.
I stopped having cars disappear when I put my own immobilisers on them,
usually a hidden switch in series with the park kill switch - cheap!
That is, I took responsibility for my own security.
A friend had his sound system's anti theft code device play up, so he
couldn't use it and had to buy another. Lucky it wasn't stolen?

Noddy

Mar 12, 2011, 4:34:33 AM3/12/11
On 12/03/2011 10:55 AM, Clocky wrote:

> Don't be rediculous, immobilisers have reduced the theft of cars by
> opportunistic thieves by a huge factor.

Immobilisers are great, *except* for the times when they fuck up and
prevent the owners of the cars from starting them with the key and can
only be fixed by a dealer.

*Then* they're a fucking great pain in the butt.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Dan----

Mar 12, 2011, 5:35:01 PM3/12/11
"Noddy" <m...@home.com> wrote in message

Tell me about it the ol EB is being a total prick I have to give a rather
heavy handed thwack around the handbrake area to and turn the key at the
same time to get it started.

Smartlock what a shit more like a dumbcuntlock. :-)

----
Regards
Dan.

Jeßus

Mar 12, 2011, 11:57:12 PM3/12/11

A couple of years ago I went up Mt Wellington, near Hobart. Huge TV
transmitters up there... which completely overwhelmed the immobiliser
in my Skyline.

It wasn't until I borrowed one of those reflective sun windscreen
shields and covered part of the dashboard that I could start the
thing, even then it took many attempts.

Jordan

Mar 13, 2011, 12:59:55 AM3/13/11
On 3/13/2011 3:57 PM, Je�us wrote:

> A couple of years ago I went up Mt Wellington, near Hobart. Huge TV
> transmitters up there... which completely overwhelmed the immobiliser
> in my Skyline.
>
> It wasn't until I borrowed one of those reflective sun windscreen
> shields and covered part of the dashboard that I could start the
> thing, even then it took many attempts.

The future is here - and it doesn't work.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jeßus

Mar 20, 2011, 6:10:26 PM3/20/11
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:54:28 +1000, Toby Ponsenby <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Gore Hill, Shitney has the same problem.
>You see pissed bastards from the pubs nearby going absolutely nuts trying
>to unlock their chariots. They're not entirely sure they're pressing the
>right buttons, on account a th piss. But they keep on keeping on.
>Seems to me they forget where they were standing the last time they were in
>the area when the central locking did work. It's the piss, of course,
>they're not really dumb and dumber, even though they point the key-fob
>determinedly at the offending vehicle as they push the buttons.
>Also, it helps to know where the antenna is for the wee receiver, and the
>difference between glass, film tinted glass and plastic generally.
>And then there's the ultimate trick - use the fucken key:-)

Sounds like good, cheap entertainment :)