Holden Astra - Air Conditioner Problems - Regas, or Compressor

Brock

Apr 1, 2008, 5:56:38 PM4/1/08
Hi All,

Recently the airconditioner in my 2001 Astra stopped working. The
light on the switch comes on, but no cool air, and no 'load' felt (you
know, you feel the car decellerate a little when you turn it on). Up
until then it had been working OK, probably not as cool as when it was
new, but not far from it.

I rang a car airconditioner guy, and he said with that model Astra,
%99 of the time it'll be the compressor coil, which means he'll need
to replace the entire compressor. $800 (and something) for parts,
labour, and regas.

My problem is that it never seems to be the cheaper option.... how do
I know he's not just ripping me off?

Any recommendations... is there anyway I could determine what the
problem actually is?

Thanks

Brock

Klokmeester

Apr 1, 2008, 7:02:28 PM4/1/08

"Brock" <brock...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> Recently the airconditioner in my 2001 Astra stopped working. The
> light on the switch comes on, but no cool air, and no 'load' felt (you
> know, you feel the car decellerate a little when you turn it on). Up
> until then it had been working OK, probably not as cool as when it was
> new, but not far from it.
>
> I rang a car airconditioner guy, and he said with that model Astra,
> %99 of the time it'll be the compressor coil, which means he'll need
> to replace the entire compressor. $800 (and something) for parts,
> labour, and regas.
>
> My problem is that it never seems to be the cheaper option.... how do
> I know he's not just ripping me off?

Because that is a common fault with the 2001 Astra.

> Any recommendations... is there anyway I could determine what the
> problem actually is?

Yes. If you have the car idling and turn the aircon on, do you hear a slight
increase in rpm and the engine/condensor fan (as applicable) turn on?

If you do, it's almost certainly the compressor clutch coil because the BCM
is requesting the compressor to cut in which indicates that the pressures
and rest of the system are OK.

You can verify by disconnecting the white connector at the top of the
compressor and unclipping it and checking across both terminals for power
with a testlight or similar (Engine running, A/C on). If there is power
there but the clutch doesn't pull in, the coil is knackered.

Hope that helps.

Brock

Apr 1, 2008, 10:37:06 PM4/1/08
On Apr 2, 10:02 am, "Klokmeester" <whowh...@andwhy.com> wrote:

<snipped useful info>

Thanks Klokmeester, all good info. I'll do the first test (and maybe
the second test). But just hearing a second opinion that it's a common
problem is reassuring.

Cheers

Brock

amber.2

Apr 2, 2008, 2:22:11 AM4/2/08

Astra's are a heap of shit you only have to read Complains corner to see
just how many Astra owners are being screwed by Holden, here is a fix
for your AC hope it works.

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/update/display.asp?aid=1134

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/update/display.asp?aid=1134

--
amber.2

Chas

Apr 2, 2008, 6:15:32 AM4/2/08

"Brock" <brock...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You might be able to find a repairer who will fit a new clutch coil to the
compressor, rather than having to buy a new one. Most repairers go for the
new warranty/quick fix/max profit solution which may not in your best
interest.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me replace 'xxx' with tango papa golf)

Brock

Apr 2, 2008, 6:04:13 PM4/2/08
Hi Chas,

The repairer said he can just replace the coil, but the cost
difference isn't much (~$100), so I'd be better off just replacing the
entire thing.

Cheers

Brock

Brock

Apr 2, 2008, 6:11:58 PM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 5:22 pm, amber.2 <amber.2.378...@no-mx.phorums.com.au>
wrote:

> Astra's are a heap of shit you only have to read Complains corner to see

Hi Amber,

I've been reasonably happy with my Astra... a few problems, but
nothing too major.

I read some of the complaints on that site, and I haven't had any of
them. The only other problem we've had is the driver side seat doesn't
lock in the tracks particularly well.

One thing I will agree on, Holden Service is really really really
bad... they lie (told my wife one thing, and told me the opposite),
break things, leave caps off when doing services, generally don't know
what they're doing/talking about, etc

The specific links you posted do not work (the site may use sessions
to track navigation), can you paste the actual text?

Thanks

Brock

Brock

Apr 2, 2008, 6:14:15 PM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 10:02 am, "Klokmeester" <whowh...@andwhy.com> wrote:
> Yes. If you have the car idling and turn the aircon on, do you hear a slight
> increase in rpm and the engine/condensor fan (as applicable) turn on?

I did this test this morning, and it does as you predicted - Hear and
see (on tacho) increase in RPM.

Sounds like I'm up for a new compressor :|

Thanks

Brock

Klompmeester

Apr 2, 2008, 10:13:14 PM4/2/08

"Brock" <brock...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yep, he's right.

Klompmeester

Apr 2, 2008, 10:22:51 PM4/2/08

> On Apr 2, 5:22 pm, amber.2 <amber.2.378...@no-mx.phorums.com.au>
> wrote:
>> Astra's are a heap of shit you only have to read Complains corner to see
>
> Hi Amber,
>
> I've been reasonably happy with my Astra... a few problems, but
> nothing too major.

The car is 7 years old so a few problems are to be expected, all in all they
are a well built, stylish car with great performance and economy for that
class of vehicle.

> I read some of the complaints on that site, and I haven't had any of
> them. The only other problem we've had is the driver side seat doesn't
> lock in the tracks particularly well.

Probably easily fixed by loosening the seat retainer bolts and giving the
seat a good shake and tightening them up again to align the rails.

> One thing I will agree on, Holden Service is really really really
> bad... they lie (told my wife one thing, and told me the opposite),
> break things, leave caps off when doing services, generally don't know
> what they're doing/talking about, etc

Yeah, not limited to Holden (by any stretch, Ford are even worse IMO) and it
varies from dealer to dealer generally speaking that is correct. They are
all in it to milk as much from their customers as possible though, so be
wary of overservicing items that don't need doing. Upselling is the name of
the game these days.

amber.2

Apr 3, 2008, 1:23:29 AM4/3/08

Here's the main page just click on what ever make you want to research.

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/latest.asp

Klompmeester

Apr 3, 2008, 4:04:33 AM4/3/08

"amber.2" <amber.2...@no-mx.phorums.com.au> wrote in message

> Here's the main page just click on what ever make you want to research.
>

> http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/latest.asp

I don't need to do "research", I work for Holden and happen to own an Astra.

I wouldn't want to trade the driving experience, safety or comfort and style
for any other vehicle of it's age and in it's class despite the fact that
the A/C compressor was replaced under warranty and I had to replace the 5
year old battery a couple of months ago...

Chas

Apr 5, 2008, 6:45:05 AM4/5/08

"Klompmeester" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message
I must be maths deficient. Last time I replaced a clutch coil (Nissan N14)
the coil cost $75 & it was possible to do it on-car, no regas required. It
took all of one hour.

I have no experience with the Astra.