Australian Design Rules

Jason Stead

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
Can anyone tell me if they know where I can DOWNLOAD a copy of the
Australian Design Rules of nicks instead of giving the Government more
of my money.
If you can help me please don't hesitate sending me an Email or posting
a response.
I am keen on building a Cobra down here but I am interested in the rules

first.

Thanks Jason.

Matt Cremer

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
Jason Stead <jst...@mail.smartchat.net.au> wrote in article
<371C33E1...@mail.smartchat.net.au>...

Are you going to be producing & selling them, or making one for yourself?
Because I don't think the ADR's are relevant if you're building a car for
yourself; I think you'll find that whoever does registrations in your state
has rules on one-off cars.

-Forg (Elsewhere)

Jason Stead

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99

  Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

Jason.

forg

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
Jason Stead wrote:
> Matt Cremer wrote:

> > Because I don't think the ADR's are relevant if you're building a
> > car for
> > yourself

> Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

The local roads & traffic office, whatever that may be, will be able to
tell you; there'll be an info line of some sort.

--
Forg! -DUH#6=- (Y1)

"Flamin' heck; another Volvo Driver!"

"...
Another Turnip Boy;
A Forg stuck in the road
..."
[Greenday]

buges

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
The ADRs have to be met by all cars on Australian roads. But if your
vehicle is manufactured before an ADR is introduced your vehicle doesn't
have to be upgraded, ie seatbelts in pre 70's cars.

As for a new car being built (private or manufactured) they must be passed
by the Transport department in your state. (These inspections are a Joke in
QLD)

--
Buges

> Are you going to be producing & selling them, or making one for yourself?

> Because I don't think the ADR's are relevant if you're building a car for

Simon Foley

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
buges wrote:

> The ADRs have to be met by all cars on Australian roads.

Not exactly true ........ ADRs cover mass produced vehicles within
Australia and those imported into the country though at one time the
importation of non-ADR vehicles was not restricted. In the late 80's
vast numbers (one week there were over 2,000 vehicles sitting on ships
in Fremantle harbour) of non-ADR vehicles were being imported into W.A.
because cars registered in W.A. only have to comply with the W.A.
Vehicle Standards Regulations. The Federal government introduced the
regulations which prohibit the import of non-ADR vehicles except under
certain circumstances (e.g. race or rally use) under pressure from the
vehicle manufacturers who were losing large numbers of new sales to
these cheap imports. I owned two - a 1982 Nissan Bluebird Turbo and a
1983 Lancer Turbo.

> But if your
> vehicle is manufactured before an ADR is introduced your vehicle
> doesn't
> have to be upgraded, ie seatbelts in pre 70's cars.

If a vehicle has a compliance plate fitted all requirements must be met.
For example a pre-1974 car will not have 27 stamped on the compliance
plate so there is no need to meet the requirements of ADR27 - emission
controls.

However there are certain minimum standards for vehicle registration and
at least in W.A. seat belts need to be fitted even if the car doesn't
have a compliance plate.

regards, Simon.

Peter Ogden

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
In WA you still have to comply with at least some of the ADR's when building
a home made vehicle (I'm currently in the research phase of building a Lotus
Seven clone). The Department of Transport in your state should be able to
tell you (it's where I got my info).

--
Peter Ogden
Kalgoorlie, Western Australia

E-mail: mailto:ogd...@esbconsult.com.au (Home)
or: mailto:ogd...@kalg.curtin.edu.au (Work)
WWW: http://kalg.curtin.edu.au/~ogdenp/

> Jason Stead <jst...@smartchat.net.au> wrote in message

> Matt Cremer wrote:
> Jason Stead <jst...@mail.smartchat.net.au> wrote in article
> <371C33E1...@mail.smartchat.net.au>...
> > Can anyone tell me if they know where I can DOWNLOAD a copy of the
> > Australian Design Rules of nicks instead of giving the Government more
> > of my money.
> > If you can help me please don't hesitate sending me an Email or posting
> > a response.
> > I am keen on building a Cobra down here but I am interested in the rules
> > first.

> Are you going to be producing & selling them, or making one for yourself?
> Because I don't think the ADR's are relevant if you're building a car for
> yourself; I think you'll find that whoever does registrations in your
state
> has rules on one-off cars.
> -Forg (Elsewhere)
>

> Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

> Jason.

Cliff Manley

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
don't worry about it I've already sorted him out...

My name's Cliff
Drop over some time...
sli...@dynamite.com.au