"Banned on Proon" hot topic on www.agacf.org

Aviation News

Mar 8, 2004, 2:50:37 PM3/8/04
www.agacf.org

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=421403&startcat=1&start=36&CategoryID=268569&ThreadID=1261188
How sad!!

Reading this thread has totally confirmed my total disillusionment with the
aviation industry and in my mind, is no doubt a major reason why this
industry is on rapid decline. General aviation's major competition is from
outside the industry; other adventurous pursuits, the boring all consuming
internet and our inane and often vitriolic discussions on forums such as
these (not denigrating the value such forums can have for objective and
valued discussions on important industry issues).

All people who subscribe to this forum, no doubt have a keen interest in
aviation, sadly, much I might suggest is self-serving. Many, who put their
hand up to serve and make a difference "voluntarily", are ridiculed,
lambasted and/or vilified. Rarely do those that criticise put their hand up,
and those that do soon find themselves the target or ridicule etc.

Australia has a reputation for a "can do" attitude, yet the aviation
industry tends to dwell on the negatives, the changes to regulations that
don't suit us, the personalities involved and what is not we want personally
or is not politically convenient. The objections to changes are often framed
in the context of "denigrated safety". In many cases it is not a matter of
safety, and where it is, should and can be fixed by adequate education and
training or, in most instances just reading and understanding the
documentation that is issued. I do not want to pursue the esoteric nature or
validity of personality profiling, however, most recognized personality
profiling programs reveal that a high percentage of pilots fit in categories
that resist change.

Perhaps the problem really lies with us!!

Where does this fit with the perceived profile of the Aussie to "just get on
with it" The only organizations and operators who are surviving and
prospering are those who are focusing on the positives and just "getting on
with it". Most would not bother reading the negativities that such forums as
these regularly expound. Forums such as these enable discontents to continue
to air their grievances, such as the 89 strike (another negative; when will
this ever end??) or continue their vilification of those who are trying to
make a difference. Where are the positives??

Aviation is not the only industry/sport/recreation to suffer from the
pursuit of power and influence. Sadly the industry needs organizations such
as AOPA, but internal and external influences, personal ambitions and
negative thinking seem determined to see its demise.

A recent visit to the US showed me not only how a strong AOPA can influence
general aviation policy but how an organization can positively encourage
participation and withstand the competition from other pursuits.

All I can say is "grow up aviation and get a life" I have, (no had) a great
career in aviation. I leave it disillusioned and concerned for its survival.
Forums such as these should engender great debate but remain objective and
positive and indeed try to "make a difference".

Bill Mattes

VH-CBR

Mar 8, 2004, 3:25:55 PM3/8/04

"Aviation News" <newsu...@freemail.com> wrote in message

What's sadder is that we have to read in aus.avaition about someone whinging
on one forum about being banned on another forum!

Tosser

Mar 8, 2004, 5:35:55 PM3/8/04

> www.agacf.org

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=421403&startcat=1&start=36&CategoryID=268569&ThreadID=1261188
> How sad!!
>
> Reading this thread has totally confirmed my total disillusionment with the
> aviation industry

Half the problem with general aviation is the number of faceless people involved
in its politics.

Which one are you?