Is Titan backward compatible?

Roy Levin

Dec 9, 2014, 10:14:41 AM12/9/14
to aureliu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I currently want to upgraded to Titan-0.5.2 (perhaps also to 0.9.0 soon as well),
however, currently my data is stored in Cassandra 1.2 which was created by Titan-0.4.4.

I tried connecting using Titan-0.5.2 but the graph seems to be empty (when I access with Titan-0.4.4 I see all the data).
Is there a way to tell Titan-0.5.2 that it is reading an older schema?

When accessing with TitanHadoop I found the following option:
titan.hadoop.input.db-version=0.4.4

However, I could not find a similar option for a standard TitanGraph.

Thanks for your help,
Roy

Daniel Kuppitz

Dec 9, 2014, 7:47:17 PM12/9/14
to aureliu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roy,

please see the Upgrade Instructions.

The data storage format of Titan 0.5.0 is incompatible with previous releases.

This is still true for 0.5.1 and 0.5.2.

Cheers,
Daniel

Roy Levin

Dec 11, 2014, 2:14:31 AM12/11/14
to aureliu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel -- I understand.

pluradj

Dec 19, 2014, 3:30:34 PM12/19/14
to aureliu...@googlegroups.com
The upgrade instructions for 0.9.0-M1 say that it is backwards compatible with 0.5.2 storage.

I loaded and committed GraphOfTheGods into an 0.5.2 keyspace, then I tried loading the same keyspace from titan-console-0.9.0-M1 and got this "StorageBackend version is incompatible with current Titan version: storage=0.5.2 vs. runtime=0.9.0-M1"

I did a bit of digging in the code and updated the top-level pom.xml with <titan.compatible.versions>0.5.2</titan.compatible.versions>. After recompiling and replacing the jars, I now get this error:

Could not deserialize to [class [Ljava.lang.String;], got: [Z@30c4e352
Display stack trace? [yN] y
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not deserialize to [class [Ljava.lang.String;], got: [Z@30c4e352
    at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkArgument(Preconditions.java:120)
    at com.thinkaurelius.titan.diskstorage.configuration.backend.KCVSConfiguration.staticBuffer2Object(KCVSConfiguration.java:252)
    at com.thinkaurelius.titan.diskstorage.configuration.backend.KCVSConfiguration.get(KCVSConfiguration.java:104)
    at com.thinkaurelius.titan.diskstorage.configuration.BasicConfiguration.get(BasicConfiguration.java:55)
    at com.thinkaurelius.titan.graphdb.configuration.GraphDatabaseConfiguration.<init>(GraphDatabaseConfiguration.java:1376)
    at com.thinkaurelius.titan.core.TitanFactory.open(TitanFactory.java:91)
    at com.thinkaurelius.titan.core.TitanFactory.open(TitanFactory.java:60)
    at com.thinkaurelius.titan.core.TitanFactory$open.call(Unknown Source)

Is there something else I can try to get backwards compatibility working?

Thanks,
Jason

Daniel Kuppitz

Dec 19, 2014, 5:23:32 PM12/19/14
to aureliu...@googlegroups.com
That's an error in the docs. Milestone releases are explicitly marked as incompatible with all other releases. The GA release will be backwards compatible with 0.5.x.

Cheers,
Daniel

pluradj

Dec 19, 2014, 5:57:34 PM12/19/14