Anybody has tried use ScyllaDB?

Obin MF

Dec 17, 2015, 10:20:28 AM12/17/15
to Aurelius
Is anybody here had tried use ScyllaDB http://www.scylladb.com/ as Titan backend?
It is works?

David

Dec 17, 2015, 11:46:47 AM12/17/15
to Aurelius
It doesn't support Thrift that I am aware of.
Do you know how to use Titan without Thrift to connect to it ?

Ted Wilmes

Dec 17, 2015, 12:27:03 PM12/17/15
to Aurelius
I spoke to a few of the Scylla folks a while ago and they told me there is a way to enable their limited thrift support.  Here's a ticket that references this: https://github.com/scylladb/scylla/issues/399

I haven't tried it out yet, but I thought there was some way to enable it in there scylla yaml.  Whether it's complete enough support to work with Titan, I'm not sure.

--Ted

Obin MF

Dec 17, 2015, 12:31:23 PM12/17/15
to Aurelius

David

Dec 17, 2015, 12:50:22 PM12/17/15
to Aurelius
If you want to take a crack at a Titan/CQL3 interface, that would be generally useful even outside the Scylla conversation.

The Aurelius, now Datastax, team may have tried this and hit performance issues, can't remember if that is true or imagination at this point.
But sooner rather than later, moving Titan on Cassandra to CQL3 or at least off of Thrift will need to happen.

For example, Astyanax has stopped moving their Thrift support for Cassandra forward from what I can tell - stopped currently at 2.0.x.

Obin MF

Dec 17, 2015, 1:05:35 PM12/17/15
to Aurelius
For example, Astyanax has stopped moving their Thrift support for Cassandra forward from what I can tell - stopped currently at 2.0.x.

This is news for me, thx. I also heard that future Cassandra 3.x.x will no longer support Thrift. CMIIW.

Ted Wilmes

Dec 17, 2015, 1:58:58 PM12/17/15
to Aurelius
Yeah, I think hunting down that Scylla setting to enable thrift is worth a shot.  If I find it and don't see any updates here I'll post it.  On the CQL note, there is an old branch with work on a CQL storage adapter: https://github.com/thinkaurelius/titan/tree/cql

--Ted

David

Dec 17, 2015, 2:02:26 PM12/17/15
to Aurelius
Thanks Ted.  I was plundering through old stuff and found this also:

https://github.com/thinkaurelius/titan/pull/364

Test cases never passed and it might need some upgrades,
but could be a jump start back to CQL land.

Ted Wilmes

Dec 17, 2015, 2:49:34 PM12/17/15
to Aurelius
Curiosity got the better of me and this looks like it might be the setting: https://github.com/scylladb/scylla/blob/fe2b928a3f29338cce6bab902f6295dfcd1c460a/conf/scylla.yaml#L495

--Ted

Ted Wilmes

Dec 22, 2015, 6:28:35 PM12/22/15
to Aurelius
I tried this out and ran into issues.  I started a single Scylla node up in AWS using their AMI.  It was easy and went smoothly.  Initial titan keyspace creation failed due to an unsupported thrift operation.  I thought maybe I could take an existing titan keyspace and migrate it over so I gave that a try.  The cool part was Scylla is compatible with 2.1.x sstables so the copying it and starting things up part worked.  Bad news was I ran into the same unsupported thrift operation.  I submitted an issue [1] to the Scylla folks but need to flesh it out with some quick and dirty steps to reproduce it for them beyond the sstables that I copied up there for them.

--Ted

Jason Plurad

Jul 21, 2016, 1:40:55 PM7/21/16
to Aurelius
Reviving this old thread...

Ted, I got notified that they closed https://github.com/scylladb/scylla/issues/399 for Thrift support. Might be worth checking out.

-- Jason

Ted Wilmes

Jul 22, 2016, 10:02:53 AM7/22/16
to aureliu...@googlegroups.com
Very cool, thanks for the heads up.  Just saw that notification too.  I reply back when I get a chance to try it out.

--Ted

Jason Plurad

Jul 22, 2016, 10:08:26 AM7/22/16
to Aurelius
Also of interest, it looks like Scylla is going to have materialized views very soon too http://www.scylladb.com/2016/07/21/materialized-views/

-- Jason

Jason Plurad

Jul 25, 2016, 4:34:41 PM7/25/16
to Aurelius
For those following along, it is looking pretty good, but there are few more bugs to shake out.

Follow along on the Scylla issue tracker at https://github.com/scylladb/scylla/issues/693

-- Jason