Titan & Cassandra 3.x

Bharat Dighe

Aug 18, 2016, 1:27:38 PM8/18/16
to Aurelius
Hi,
Is there work going on supporting Cassandra 3.x?

Has someone already done this by changing titan code/tunables?

Bharat

Jason Plurad

Aug 18, 2016, 2:52:15 PM8/18/16
to Aurelius
Hi Bharat,

Depends on what you consider "supporting" Cassandra 3.x. Titan can already work with Cassandra 3.x as long as you enable Thrift.

If you're talking about using CQL, there's an issue already open for it https://github.com/thinkaurelius/titan/issues/312 and somebody offered a pull request https://github.com/thinkaurelius/titan/pull/364 -- I've never tried out that PR, but it could be a start. This effort is essentially a rewrite of the Cassandra backend, which will have to be done for Cassandra 4.0 when they eliminate Thrift.

-- Jason

Bharat Dighe

Aug 19, 2016, 1:26:03 AM8/19/16
to Aurelius
Thanks Json, once we enable thrift would the functionality of titan will be at par with what it is there for Cassandra 2.x?

I am assuming using effort to use CQL is being added to remove dependency from thrift?

Bharat

Jason Plurad

Aug 19, 2016, 12:25:29 PM8/19/16
to Aurelius
Bharat,

Right, Titan should work the same since the Thrift support in Cassandra hasn't been changed, but obviously you'll have to test it out for yourself with your own application and tests.

CQL will be the only option in Cassandra 4.0 because Thrift will be completely removed. Keep in mind that PR for CQL support I referenced previously is very outdated from around the Cassandra 2.0.0 timeframe, so it doesn't take advantage of the latest features in Cassandra 3.x, like materialized views. So I'd treat that PR as a starting point, but there is a definite opportunity here to optimize the Cassandra backend since it is basically a rewrite. I'm not sure what the EOL is for the 3.x line after 4.0 is released, but I'd guess at least a year.

-- Jason