Need help getting started with Titan and Rexster (Newb question)

MartyMobdev

Mar 3, 2015, 3:20:53 PM3/3/15
to aureliu...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have been struggling for a few days now to get the simple Graph Of The Gods viewable in Dog House/callable with REST API. I haven't been successful and I hope someone can point me in right direction. I believe it's something silly I have overlooked, I'm very new everything and I'd appreciate any help.

I have followed the getting started guide (https://github.com/thinkaurelius/titan/wiki/Getting-Started) and am able to traverse the graph as per the guide. I have created the graph in a folder called graphtest/titan, which appears in the titan home directory alongside the bin, conf, doc, etc. I then followed the Rexster Graph Server guide (https://github.com/thinkaurelius/titan/wiki/Rexster-Graph-Server) and edited the rexster-cassandra-es.xml to include the graph as follows:

        <graph>
         <graph-name>titanexample</graph-name>
         <graph-type>com.thinkaurelius.titan.tinkerpop.rexster.TitanGraphConfiguration</graph-type>
         <graph-location>graphtest/titan</graph-location>
         <graph-read-only>false</graph-read-only>
         <properties>
             <storage.backend>local</storage.backend>
             <storage.buffer-size>100</storage.buffer-size>
         </properties>
             <extensions>
                  <allows>
                        <allow>tp:gremlin</allow>
                  </allows>
             </extensions>
        </graph>

When I go to my server:8182 I can see Dog House and open it up, on the left hand side is titanexample. I click on that and it shows "titanexample - titangraph[local:graphtest/titan]". However when I click on the Browse Vertices or Browse Edges buttons it's flickers for a split second but nothing is shown. An example of the response is:

9 * Server out-bound response
9 < Content-Type: application/vnd.rexster-v1+json; charset=UTF-8
9 < Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
9 <
{"version":"2.4.0","results":[],"totalSize":0,"queryTime":2.003002}

I have also been provided another already created graph which I have tried to point to in the rexster-cassandra-es.xml, but i get the same thing where it appears in Dog House but I get empty results when i try to do anything on it. That graph has 1000s of nodes and was tested before provided to me. I am using Titan 0.4.4 as that is also what has been provided to me.

Hopefully somebody can give me some advice on what to check next?

Stephen Mallette

Mar 4, 2015, 6:40:24 AM3/4/15
to aureliu...@googlegroups.com
Hard to say what the problem is given what you've described, but here's some ideas:

+ My guess is that the data you placed in graphtest/titan isn't being served by Rexster and since you are using berkeleydb an empty graph is being created somewhere else.
+ Given the above keep an eye on the "home" directory which is different for the Rexster distribution and the Titan Server distribution (i don't know which you used or if you've switched between the two).  Titan Server has a rexhome directory i think and perhaps you'll see a graphtest/titan in there
+ I'm not sure why you are editing rexster-cassandra-es.xml to then use berkeleydb - i guess that doesn't really matter except that if you placed cassandra data files in graphtest/titan they obviously won't be readable by berkeleydb and will thus create an empty graph.
+ always check in the rexster server console output to be sure that rexster is using the configuration file that you expect it is - i assume it is as you are getting a REST API response with no vertices, but that's a good general rule.

hopefully something there is useful in solving your problem.