PWCT: General Purpose Visual Programming Language for developing large scale Systems and Application

Mahmoud Samir Fayed

Nov 13, 2013, 7:23:47 AM11/13/13
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I see that many of the group members are interested in Visual Programming

So I'm going to introduce Programming Without Coding Technology (PWCT)

PWCT is a general purpose visual programming langauge that enables the development of systems and applications by generating interactive steps instead of writing code.

As a start, you can read the next article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PWCT_%28programming_language%29

See the next movies

1 - Some of PWCT Features
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wpxbfPxNHqg

2 - Create your first GUI Application
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBy2JpO8LQ

3 - Working faster using the keyboard shortcuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYFASwNoL0

4 - The Syntax Directed Editor and the (Free Editor + VPL Compiler)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH18kQpbbAo

5 - Change the Active VPL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1flw1O49Kjc

6 - Play programs as Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHREl2te1fo

7 - Run the program in the past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT5Wl0iazhM

PWCT is free open source
You can download the software from
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/

PWCT Features
1 - Visual Programming
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/visualprogramming.htm
2 - Parctical Editor
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/practicaleditor.htm
3 - Programming Paradigm
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/programmingparadigm.htm
4 - Compatable
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/compatable.htm
5 - Programming Scope
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/programmingscope.htm
6 - Framework & Extension
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/frameworkandextension.htm
7 - More
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/more.htm

Projects developed using PWCT
1 - Critical Nodes : Free Open Source Implementation of a new Localized Algorithm for detection of Critical Nodes.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/criticalnodes/
2 - Smart POS System : Sales management software.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pos-sys/
3 - Supernova programming language : Scripting language presents the concept of programming with direct Fiction Description using Clear subset of pure Human Language.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/supernova/

The project is a result of 8 years of research and development

Any questions, comments, ideas & suggestions are welcome

Greetings,
Mahmoud Fayed

David Barbour

Nov 13, 2013, 8:57:20 AM11/13/13
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com
PWCT seems very first order with respect to modeling windows as data structures. Do you have any way to abstract or template such efforts?

Mahmoud Samir Fayed

Nov 13, 2013, 9:53:52 AM11/13/13
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com
I will try to write a research paper about PWCT

For now, PWCT is free open source, also the documentation is online
http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/main.htm

This interview about the project goal
http://sourceforge.net/blog/podcast-programming-without-coding-technology/

This post about features in the last release
http://sourceforge.net/blog/guest-post-programming-without-coding-technology/

PWCT is a framework for creating visual programming languages based on any text based programming language
We have for example CPWCT that generates C code, PythonPWCT that generates Python code and HarbourPWCT that generates Harbour code

The programmer can create new components and/or modify components using Designers.

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Sandy Klausner

Nov 16, 2013, 7:10:57 AM11/16/13
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com
Mahmoud,

I briefly reviewed the PWCT and right off was confused by the claim that this technology is a "visual programming language." While the syntax appears to be more 'conversational,' it clearly has not crossed the boundary between text-based and icon-based syntax. In computing, a visual programming language (VPL) is any programming language that lets users create programs by manipulating program elements graphically rather than by specifying them textually.

The one example that I found on Google Images does portray an Event Path as a graph structure, but I assume that the 'code' underneath remains text-based expressions. I haven't dug deep enough to understand what you mean by "Designers," but what I would be looking for is a finite set of first principle language constructs that serve as a foundation for all software assets. Without such an articulation, PWCT will run into the forking explosion that countless attempts to revolutionize the programming paradigm have hit the wall over the last 25 years.

Programming requirements have evolved to where the real challenge now is overcoming the interoperability issue between systems as we move into an Internet of Things. How would PWCT contribute to supporting semantic interoperability beyond web API technology based on REST that cannot support contextualization? Next-generation languages need to support contextualization from the ground up.

Regards,
Sandy

Mahmoud Samir Fayed

Nov 16, 2013, 2:31:27 PM11/16/13
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sandy

I understand the concept of visual programming languages, and i used to read research papers around the topic

http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-visual-languages-and-computing/

PWCT is a visual programming language
(1) Let users create programs by manipulating program elements graphically
(2) Programming in more than one dimension

See this document : http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/visualprogramming.htm
And this movie : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBy2JpO8LQ

PWCT is a multiparadigm
Imperative, Procedural, Object-Oriented & Event-Driven
PWCT comes with new programming paradigm (Super Server)
See this document : http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/programmingparadigm.htm

PWCT will be ready very soon for Web & Mobile applications
We can extend PWCT and create new components in little time
See this document : http://doublesvsoop.sourceforge.net/pwcthelp/features/frameworkandextension.htm

Greetings,
Mahmoud
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to augmented-programming+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Sandy Klausner

Nov 16, 2013, 11:01:40 PM11/16/13
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com, augmented-...@googlegroups.com
Mahmoud,
Thanks for the links which I will review. Appreciate if you could address the contextualization challenge.
Sandy

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to augmented-progra...@googlegroups.com.

msfcl...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2022, 10:30:19 PM1/20/22
to Augmented Programming
Hello

I know that this topic is old (From 2013), but this is a related research paper about PWCT (2020)

Title: PWCT: a novel general-purpose visual programming language in support of pervasive application development

This topic demonstrates new features coming in PWCT 2.0

Greetings,
Mahmoud

Corecubist

Jan 21, 2022, 11:44:33 AM1/21/22
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com
Mahmoud,

Glad to see you making progress on PWCT! While visual programming languages are the future, true scaling and mass adoption will require replacing software completely and not relying on any underlying source code language. We call this new paradigm cubeware.

Regards,
Sandy

Sent from my iPad