Two questions: 1) Markdown-like programming? 2) Alternatives to Raw Text for source storage

Emmanuel Oga

Jul 9, 2015, 4:26:31 AM7/9/15
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com
1) Markdown-like programming

Some people is now using unicode ligatures and sometimes unicode identifiers (like the lambda symbol in racket programs) to make source more readable.

An alternative could be to have some sort of Markdown like syntax that gets rendered to a readable representation.

A nice thing is that the "Markdown" editor could be hidden for browsing. Also, the rendered representation could be tweaked in any way (e.g. show python-like indentation instead of C-like braces or  pascal-like keywords, etc.)

Anything like this out there?

2) I'm sure I saw years ago some paper about alternative storage for programs (as opposed to raw text). Do you remember something like this?

One thought I had lately is that for people unwilling to let go of raw text, a virtual file system could be mounted to provide a raw-text interface to such alternative binary encoding.

Cheers!

Emmanuel Oga

Jul 15, 2015, 3:14:01 AM7/15/15

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 1:26:31 AM UTC-7, Emmanuel Oga wrote:
1) Markdown-like programming

Some people is now using unicode ligatures and sometimes unicode identifiers (like the lambda symbol in racket programs) to make source more readable.

An alternative could be to have some sort of Markdown like syntax that gets rendered to a readable representation.

A nice thing is that the "Markdown" editor could be hidden for browsing. Also, the rendered representation could be tweaked in any way (e.g. show python-like indentation instead of C-like braces or  pascal-like keywords, etc.)

Anything like this out there?

I think I saw https://github.com/cdglabs/moonchild at some point, but it is different: it makes the markdown and the code live in editor at the same time, like a wysiwyg text editor.

I think a text  / result model like those in online markdown editors could work better.

Josh Marinacci

Jul 17, 2015, 12:14:20 PM7/17/15
to augmented-...@googlegroups.com
I think WYSIWYM would be a better experience than markdown.  The programmer should be working at a higher level than the file encoding. Some sort of richer editor would let the programmer work at the AST level. Who cares how it’s actually encoded on disk.

-j

Emmanuel Oga

Jul 24, 2015, 3:10:12 AM7/24/15
to Augmented Programming, jos...@marinacci.org

On Jul 15, 2015, at 12:14 AM, Emmanuel Oga <emman...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Found it, fwiw :-)

Looks like sclang is a complete language / dev. env. using some diff. ideas on how to edit/represent and store source code.