[[ Education ]] Status update for Week 50

Martin Bogomolni

Dec 13, 2017, 2:05:58 PM12/13/17
to ATXHS Members, ATXHS Discuss
Contact Info

My hackerspace email is de...@atxhs.org
My phone contact ( for SMS or cell ) is : (954) 701-8349
We have a Slack channel as well - atxhackerspace.slack.com ( channel #classes )

If you would like access to Slack while we're working on an automated system, please email me ( dean@ ) or rob ( ops@ ) and we'll add you to atxhackerspace.slack.com

This Week in the Education Department

HOLY SMOKES :: WHAT A MONTH!!! :: NEW MEMBERS

First off .. HELLO ALL NEW ATX HACKERSPACE MEMBERS!

Thank you for joining, and thank you for your kindness and patience.  Since November 15th, we have grown by 58 members!!!

As you all are probably aware, in mid-November TechShop closed it's doors, leaving over a thousand TechShop members high, dry, and without a paddle here in Austin.

To say that "things have been a bit busy" would count as one of the biggest understatements of the year!  ATX Hackerspace had some plans to absorb TechShop members, but we expected a slow-ramp-down, and for something to happen in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2018.

The Board and the Membership are hard at work improving the space, and getting in gear even while the Holiday Season is upon us.  We are doing our best to be as responsive as possible, but you may need to "Pardon our Dust" as the demand grows and we put new procedures into place.

NEWSLETTER :: OUTREACH EVENTS :: CLASSES

The bonkers November means I had no time at all to work on the Newsletter.  I've put it on the back burner while I work on two other projects.  Despite putting out the call for volunteers to help, nobody came forth and so this is going to have to wait.

~ ~ ~

We have two upcoming Outreach Event, the Maker Faire Austin Pop Up at the Bullock Texas State History Museum, December 28th through December 30th.

Come down and spend a day with the Makers of Austin, show off your projects, and the Excellent spirit of ATX Hackerspace as a community!

Our second Outreach Event is in Mid-January, at the new Central Library!  The library does not yet have a makerspace, so we're going to be there for a weekend showing off some of our equipment and our projects.  We are going to try to bring a 3D printer, small laser cutter ( Epilog Zing or similar ), a shapeoko CNC, some of our soldering equipment, and a few small projects that the community can do.

If you want to volunteer or participate in either event, or for more information:

Email de...@atxhs.orgp...@atxhs.orgo...@atxhs.org, or bo...@atxhs.org.

Classroom

If you want to schedule a free or material-only charge event or class in the classroom, get in touch with me ( de...@atxhs.org ) and we'll get you on the calendar.  I do need to review and approve the material before scheduling you in.

If you would like to host an event or class for profit, we charge $35/hr for "prime time" usage of the space ( M-F 5pm-9pm, all Sat and Sun ) and $25/hr for all other times.  Again, these classes are subject to approval before being scheduled.

Class Scheduling and Sign-up Software

The direct URL is:

https://atxhs.setmore.com

I have integrated our setmore.com account with Google Calendar.  The integration only updates once every few hours, so for the absolute up-to-date info, make sure to head to the main setmore site.  It will show times when the classroom is booked, as well as a general schedule of classes. The calendar is on the wiki here.

http://atxhs.org/wiki/Class_List

Teaching and Taking Classes

I am now talking with over a dozen new teachers, for a wide range of subjects.  The response from potential teachers has been overwhelmingly positive.

Free classes that are available on the calendar now:
  • Introduction to Microcontrollers : Arduino ( Martin Bogomolni )
  • Introduction to Microcontrollers : Raspberry Pi ( Martin Bogomolni )
Classes and one-on-ones that are available now:
  • Introduction to Laser Cutting ( 60 and 120W ) ( Rob Ristroph, Harlan Kilbourn )
  • Introduction to 3D Printing on the Creality 10-S ( Jim Shepherd )
  • Introduction to CNC and V-Carve for the large format CNC Part 1 & 2 ( Danny Miller )
  • Introduction to Easel and X-Carve : Make a Maze( Martin Bogomolni )
  • CNC basic safety and operation on X-Carve ( Martin Bogomolni ) Schedule as 1 on 1
  • Wood shop basic safety ( Rob Ristroph, Martin Bogomolni, Danny Miller ) Schedule as 1 on 1
  • Metal shop basic safety ( Joe Ngo, Martin Bogomolni, Danny Miller ) Schedule as a 1 on 1
  • Introduction to MIG Welding ( Joe Ngo )
  • Introduction to Stick Welding ( Joe Ngo )
Some of the classes that we are still bringing online:
  • Tormach CAD to CAM using Fusion 360  ( Brad Selph )
  • CNC basic safety and operation on Tormach ( Kris Ohlinger - NOVEMBER )
  • Self defense, basic techniques everyone should know ( Austin PD )
  • Rational Yoga for Engineers ( Sylvia Porter )
I am also in discussions with instructors for the following courses in November:
  • Introduction to Python
  • Introduction to Node.js
We are also looking at the following events and classes for January:
  • JoustMania - Johann Sebastian Joust Game on RasPi
  • HAM Radio / ARRL Qualification Practice + Tests
If you have a subject you want to see brought to ATXHS, or you want to teach a subject, please get in contact with me ( de...@atxhs.org )