TIG welding class, selecting a time

Chris Robison

Mar 26, 2015, 12:31:10 AM3/26/15
to atxhs-discuss
I've put together a short list of possible time slots for a 2-hour TIG
welding class for this coming weekend. Of those who would like to
attend, I'd like to get your input on what time slots work for you.
This will also give me an idea of how many people to expect.

Please vote here -- check ALL that apply:

http://strawpoll.me/3962951

Disclaimer stuff:
I cannot guarantee the class won't suck. I don't yet have any good
idea of how many people can be meaningfully trained on a single welder
in a 2-hour time period, so I don't know how much you'll get out of
it. This class will be as much a learning experience for me as it will
(hopefully) be for those who take it. As such I'm not charging
anything for the class, though I may come up with some modest donation
suggestion for materials. I'll be very interested in feedback about
what could be done differently or better. I'll help those who need
more instruction afterward, and that will help me make improvements as
well.

Stuff to bring:
Close-toed shoes
Shirt of natural material (eg. cotton), pref. with long sleeves

Recommended:
A welding jacket if you have one. We have a couple leather welding
jackets here for those who forget
Welding gloves if you have them -- the thinner TIG type gloves are
better than the thick barbecue-glove style more commonly used with
MIG.

--c

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 8:58 PM, Chris Robison
<chris.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> own consumables, but this is something I'm willing to discuss. My opinion
> has already evolved on the matter to some extent, and it can evolve further
> with community input. For the purposes of the class, I'll pick up some
> basics tomorrow and deal later with whatever compensation may be reasonable.
>
> Finally, I need to announce a time for the class this weekend (I know I'm
> really late doing this). I will be sending out another email on that subject
> this evening.
>
> --c
>

> On 3/25/2015 5:38 PM, David M wrote:
>>
>> I was waiting for Chris to chime in here, he should ultimately be the
>> one specifying the exact materials required. I have never used his
>> machine and don't know anything about it's particularities.
>>
>> But, that won't stop me from mouthing off anyways ;)
>>
>> TL;DR: I recommend 3/32 diameter 1.5 or 2% lanthanated tungstens, 4"
>> square 1/8" thickness mild steel coupons (squares), and 1/8" steel
>> filler rods for the beginner class. And a thin leather glove for your
>> non-dominant hand (eg the one holding the filler rod).
>>
>> I bet anything that if each student has to go to the welding store to
>> buy their supplies, they'll all show up with different or insufficient
>> supplies.
>>
>> Besides, filler rods come in fairly large quantities. I don't know if
>> you can even buy "just a handful".
>>
>> I think it would be more practical to charge a "material fee" that
>> pays for a tungsten, a handful of filler rods, and however many
>> practice coupons. You pay the money when you register, the teacher
>> makes one run for supplies before the class is held, everyone gets the
>> right stuff.
>>
>> Regarding the electrode types...
>>
>> The electrode diameter is determined on the amperage you are using.
>> Thicker material = more amperage. A tiny electrode will burn right
>> away if you crank the power up too much, but won't give any real
>> penetration with insufficient current.
>>
>> 3/32" electrodes and 1/8" filler rods are about right for practicing
>> on something like 4" squares of 1/8" mild steel.
>>
>> The 1.5% or 2% lanthanated tungstens are suitable for BOTH steel and
>> aluminum welding, and there's no radioactive dust like with the
>> thoriated rods. The only downside is you can't snap 'em off easily,
>> need to grind a little notch in it before it will snap. Otherwise it
>> just shatters.
>>
>> Thoriated tungstens are only good for DC welding (nearly always DCEP
>> aka Direct Current Electrode Positive), which is what you'd be using
>> for steel. Not to mention the radioactive dust issue. They crack up
>> and fall apart when you try using them for AC welding, and don't ball
>> up well either. (A sharpened point is used for DC welding).
>>
>> Pure tungsten electrodes on the other hand are only good for AC
>> welding (used for Aluminum). If you try and grind a point on one for
>> DC welding it just balls right up again (whereas a ball-end is what

mbh...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2015, 12:46:16 AM3/26/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

I voted already. As an outsider and new member, I think the best thing to do for a beginner class, is not as much hands on. More of watching someone who has done it before and getting the idea and theory of it down is essential. Understanding is key in my book!

I for one, learn tremendously by watching at first, then gathering questions to further that knowledge.

I will gladly donate for materials and the first class would be a good base to see how many people would be invested in a class like this.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Robison

Mar 26, 2015, 8:00:32 PM3/26/15
to atxhs-discuss
OK folks, results are in. I'll be holding the TIG class on Saturday 3/28 7-9pm.

At the moment I have 4 people who voted for that time slot. See you there!

--c

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:31 PM, Chris Robison

Chris Robison

Weston

Mar 27, 2015, 11:15:51 PM3/27/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
If it's not too late to sign up for the TIG welder session tomorrow night, please add me too.

Joseph Ngo

Mar 27, 2015, 11:16:39 PM3/27/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Your in

On Mar 27, 2015 10:15 PM, "Weston" <bigman...@gmail.com> wrote:
If it's not too late to sign up for the TIG welder session tomorrow night, please add me too.

Chris Robison

Mar 27, 2015, 11:31:42 PM3/27/15
to atxhs-discuss
Not really a fixed list at this point, mainly since I don't know what
a good limit would even be. Anyone who wants to participate is
welcome.

We definitely have enough practice material to work with :-)

--c

Quinten Rhea Art

Mar 27, 2015, 11:55:56 PM3/27/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com