Blue Laser Disconnected

Ben Nash

Nov 26, 2016, 3:10:41 PM11/26/16
to ATXHS Discuss
The blue laser won't "connect". Inside the driver software the bottom left indication continues to read "Disconnected". I've rebooted the computer and the laser several times with no luck. Any help is appreciated. I'm sitting here now. Thanks

Martin Bogomolni

Nov 26, 2016, 3:13:08 PM11/26/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

USB cable was a bit wonky.   It is a standard, if long, USB A-B connector, same as a printer and some hard disks use.

Try a new cable, or a different USB port on the PC.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016, 2:10 PM Ben Nash <ben...@gmail.com> wrote:
The blue laser won't "connect". Inside the driver software the bottom left indication continues to read "Disconnected". I've rebooted the computer and the laser several times with no luck. Any help is appreciated. I'm sitting here now. Thanks

Ben Nash

Nov 26, 2016, 3:18:03 PM11/26/16
to ATXHS Discuss
Thanks Martin. That worked. I'll place a big note on the wall with this hint.

Can we get a new computer. This one has been here since I joined 3 years ago and its gone down hill.

Also this computer won't connect to the shared X drive. Last month I posted a ticket about this and heard nothing back. Same issue.

Thomas Elrod

Nov 26, 2016, 3:20:32 PM11/26/16
to atxhs-discuss

Can't connect to the shared drive? I'll come buy today and take a look at that.

Ben Nash

Nov 26, 2016, 3:22:20 PM11/26/16
to ATXHS Discuss
thanks

Danny Miller

Nov 26, 2016, 4:08:27 PM11/26/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

We had a problem with blue hanging mid-job a week or two ago.  It went away immediately when I replaced the USB cable, that's a "new" one on there now.  Pretty sure that fixed the original problem, we fiddled with it and the problem kept recurring so much before changing the cable it's unlikely to be a coincidence.

I suppose it's possible the "new" cable didn't like being hung off the laser like it has to be, and busted internally there?  I guess it's as good a theory as any.

Danny

Thomas Elrod

Danny Miller

Nov 27, 2016, 2:53:33 PM11/27/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Is this still happening or just a fluke?

Danny

Martin Bogomolni

Nov 27, 2016, 4:22:09 PM11/27/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Danny,

The new cable is a bit loose on the printer side.   We may need to 3D print a cable stabilizer or something to reduce tension on the cable ... it gets pulled sometimes when people try to move the laser and/or the computer.  The port still works .. it's got good electrical connection.  Next time I go to the hackerspace, I'll bring the 10' USB cable I've been using on the Epilog.  It's a known good cable, with great signal.

-M