Want to inspire young minds to love STEM?

Teal Jackson-Mappus

Feb 23, 2015, 3:03:08 PM2/23/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Hacker Space!

My name is Teal and I am part of a local AmeriCorps Project called 4-H CAPITAL. 4-H CAPITAL is a nonprofit who teaches Afterschool hands-on STEM to at-risk youth in Austin.  As part of our grant, we must recruit several volunteers throughout the year, people who have some experience that may make them an interesting presenter/guest speaker for a few hours. Some of the Curriculum areas my fellow teachers are exploring are: circuitry, engineering, coding, and hidden world (this one is vast- it could include anything from how computers work to cells in our body- basically anything that happens that we cannot see). We would love to have help inspiring our students to take on STEM careers! Again, this would only need to be a one-time commitment, however if you really end up liking it there are ways to become a regular volunteer.

If you feel that you may be interested in being a guest speaker/ doing an activity some time with the students, please email me at Teal.Jack...@traviscountytx.gov!