I had a eureka moment with Slic3r today - interface layers and interface pattern spacing

Marshall Peck

Jul 20, 2014, 11:25:41 AM7/20/14
to atxhs-discuss
This solved my issue with supports not coming apart easily. I'm sure those well versed with Slic3r may already know this but, adding a couple interface layers and adding spacing between those layers really helps prevent support material from sticking to the print. You can do this manually in slicer. The settings are vaguely self-explanatory but, here's an article I found that clearly defined what these settings do.

http://zavax.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/how-to-3d-print-peel-able-supportive-raft-base-platform-with-slic3r/

So far tested good with 1 interface layer and .5mm interface pattern spacing for supports that barely touched the print and were easily removed. The settings that the article recommends seemed a bit excessive but they were dealing with rafts not supports so, who knows.

I would post pics but the object I printed is probably too small for my camera.

vlad

Jul 21, 2014, 3:21:25 PM7/21/14
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome - thanks for sharing.

Do you happen to know of a source of info/guide to all the steps you might do to "dial in" your Prusa. I'm going through the process on my printer as ideas occur to me (e.g. tighten Z switch, mine seemed to get "bumped" - tighten the belts, etc) - Just looking for something more methodical than - let me try this, let me try that that I've been doing.

Thanks - Vlad

Marshall Peck

Jul 21, 2014, 11:44:23 PM7/21/14
to atxhs-discuss
so far I haven't stumbled on anything comprehensive but, of course RepRap wiki and a few user blogs have been helpful.

As for your Z-stop (in slic3r) under the [printer settings] tab > [general] you can set your z-offset to a positive or negative number and not worry about tweaking the z-stop so precisely.