Sewing/Patterning Upstairs - LeatherHack!

kosen.rufu.email

Jun 4, 2016, 8:29:32 AM6/4/16
to ATXHS Discuss
I wanted to announce to everyone that I did some arranging upstairs in the sewing/crafts area.

It doesn't appear to have been used that much for the labeled purposes of crafts/sewing; since I joined as a member I've been up there quite a few times working on leather projects and have noticed that for months now virtually nothing related to sewing/crafts appear to really be used aside from the table-top space up there. I've also found quite a bit of old projects, that have been around for at least 2 months (for the most recent dated project as per the creator's note) and I've seen multiple projects without names, nor time-frames for beginning or intended pick up date beyond even the 2 month time-frame. I'm actually also involved with sewing and other pertinent craft projects for the area and would like to see that side also be able to flourish with a bit more organization and appeal to other members and their guests or visitors interested in the hacking space.

One of the major-down sides I feel to that area when I was introduced to the space and started giving tours myself was the cluttered and disorganized jumble that the upstairs appeared to have considering how tedious sewing and crafting can be between small needles, loose threads, bolts of fabric, glue bottles, glitter, pens, pencils, papers etc. and a lot of those items seem to just be thrown around and often just left on the floor/walking paths.

Part of my re-organization is to improve appeal to this place to be used and hopefully bring in some more users to that space not only for the sewing/craft side but to re-vamp it a little bit and legitimately bring in a leather-projects area since a lot of leather-work mirrors those of sewing/crafts given the tools used. I've noticed a few other members, since I started doing leather stuff up there have also taken to doing leather-craft in that same area. Very excited to see that I wasn't the only after so long of doing things but never seeing anyone else taking interest to the craft! I hope that with the way I've arranged things thus far that more people's fancy's will be tickled to give it a try!

What I went ahead and did was basically straighten up the left side (when you walk up the stairs) to open up floor space and wall-space so that way some leather-hacking tools can be mounted to a wall that I am actually in the plans of putting up (no permanent fixtures) for other members who are interested in toolin' around can utilize (I will be making a separate post proposing/requesting that my tools actually be hosted here, and I've already clearly marked which tools are mine prior to this idea since I didn't want to horde my things and let others use them if they were curious to try!) Since the other member[s] who've started leaving their tools in the upstairs craft area also brought in their own/similar/identical tools, I think it would be a good suggestion to try and discuss the idea of hosting their tools here as well for others to use, if that's something that would appeal to them considering they items are already being left and probably used by other members.

All of the sewing and crafts equipment have been put on the right side (when walking up the stairs) in the neatest fashion I could arrange it in and everything should still be fairly accessible. The sewing machines/serger might need to be moved around a bit since I dropped the sewing machine down into the table and put it over on the other side, but other than that, noting too too major should need to be done if someone just needs to get to some stuff to craft with.

**** Note: If anyone in the near future actually plans on doing some tinkering or serious work with the crafting and sewing and would like assistance in organizing that side of the upstairs, feel free to hit me and I'd gladly assist in making that side as appealing and accessible as I plan on having the Leather-Hack side be here shortly (I plan on finishing the project by the end of today (Saturday 06/04) or no later than Monday.

I tried to make the Leather-Hack side accessible with 2 tables so that way more than one person can be working on leather-projects at a time, since previously it felt really cluttered and cumbersome (and the floor was a mess) and it made it rather impractical to try and work on a medium sized project, let alone trying to fit anyone else up there who might want to use that space. Currently there is enough space after my re-arranging for 2 large projects to be comfortably done and plenty of wall-space to place tools to free up the table-tops even more.

I'm also wanting to get a small, cheap, little plastic shelf so that way rolls of leather can be stored there for use separated from the fabric rolls (there are other plans for this as well I will bring up in my proposal post)

Iiiiii think that's plenty enough said on this for now!

I look forward to further discussion on this if anyone would like!

Cheers,
Hisako

Quinten Rhea

Jun 7, 2016, 1:19:02 AM6/7/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

I donated a Surger to the hXs sewing area.  I recall it needed a new power cord.  I forgot to get a new one. They are online for 10 bucks or so if someone wants to source one and use it feel free.