Free 3D CAD

Jerry Rutherford

Sep 17, 2015, 9:11:41 AM9/17/15
to Austin Hacker Space New, The Robot Group Mailing List

I got this email the other day for Onshape. Its a new 3D CAD program designed by the same folks that originally created Solidworks. Its completely free to use and there is no install needed, it runs in a browser.  I thought I would share it with everyone, I know some of you have wanted to learn or would like an option for a good CAD program.

Link: Onshape

Enjoy and I hope this is useful to some of you.

The the free version allows 5GB of storage, 10 Private designs, and unlimited public designs. The target businesses with an unlimited private account... that's where they get their revenue, $100 per month. But for folks like us, it's free,

Askjerry... everyone else does.
Visit me online at http://askjerry.info
See my projects, video links, tutorials, and blog today.
http://youtube.com/askjerry https://www.facebook.com/jerryarutherford http://askjerry.info

Evan Weinberger

Sep 17, 2015, 10:27:42 AM9/17/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Looks great, as someone who was just about to make the solidworks plunge, I'll give this a shot first. Thanks for sharing.

Andy Howell

Sep 17, 2015, 11:10:29 AM9/17/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
We use Solidworks at the high school. Solidworks supports us with free
academic licenses.

A lower cost option is Fusion360, at $300 annually. Autodesk has a free
CAM add-in for Solidworks, HSMExpress. They are supporting us with free
licenses for the full-featured CAM add-in, HSMWorks.

Fusion 360 includes CAM. Check out NYCNC on youtube for examples of it
in use.

Andy

On 09/17/2015 09:27 AM, Evan Weinberger wrote:
> Looks great, as someone who was just about to make the solidworks
> plunge, I'll give this a shot first. Thanks for sharing.
>
> On Sep 17, 2015, at 8:11 AM, Jerry Rutherford
> <jerryaru...@gmail.com <mailto:jerryaru...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> I got this email the other day for Onshape. Its a new 3D CAD program
>> designed by the same folks that originally created Solidworks. Its
>> completely free to use and there is no install needed, it runs in a
>> browser. I thought I would share it with everyone, I know some of you
>> have wanted to learn or would like an option for a good CAD program.
>>
>> Link: Onshape
>> <https://www.onshape.com/?utm_campaign=Sales+checkins&utm_source=hs_automation&utm_medium=email&utm_content=14973086&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--Zw-dSsh44T67R2U8PvOtJZhmYR1S9UomGph8ryfvbYut0mZjdhoS0vpsq9Fjdb2cZOBXtvNqPSB65MktCN6Z1JvclJA&_hsmi=20887434>
>>
>> Enjoy and I hope this is useful to some of you.
>>
>> The the free version allows 5GB of storage, 10 Private designs, and
>> unlimited public designs. The target businesses with an unlimited
>> private account... that's where they get their revenue, $100 per
>> month. But for folks like us, it's free,
>>
>> /*Askjerry... everyone else does.*/
>> Visit me online at http://askjerry.info
>> /See my projects, video links, tutorials, and blog today./
>> http://youtube.com/askjerry <http://youtube.com/askjerry>
>> https://www.facebook.com/jerryarutherford
>> <https://www.facebook.com/jerryarutherford> http://askjerry.info
>> <http://askjerry.info>
>>
>> --

John Dolecek

Sep 17, 2015, 11:16:50 AM9/17/15
to Austin Hacker Space New
You have to try Autodesk Fusion360. It's the closest free software I've found to Solidworks. It is cloud based, but you can work offline. It's an amazing piece of software that also includes CAM functionality and lots more. And it's free as long as you're not making more than 100k a year using it.

Marshall Peck

Sep 17, 2015, 11:33:58 AM9/17/15
to atxhs-discuss
Autodesk Fusion360 (windows and MAC) is free for "students, enthusiasts, hobbyists, and startups".

I use it for pretty much everything now. It also has some nice mechanical joint simulation features. I made this joint assembly with it recently.

You can model parts and create components and assemblies in the same work-space.
It also lets you share any design or assembly for free on their A360 platform. Been using it to host my 3D printer and other projects.

And it appears that they lifted any limitations with how much cloud rendering you can do. Renders most things in about 5 minutes and they look great.

Even though I'm just a free user, my recent experience with their email support was awesome.

If you're looking for CAD at any level, give it a shot.

Really nice to log into any computer that has it installed and have all your models right there.

Marshall Peck
Protobuilds.com

Marshall Peck

Sep 17, 2015, 11:38:51 AM9/17/15
to atxhs-discuss
One thing to be aware of with Autodesk360... Depending on your system, it can be a little bit crashy and advise addressing model warnings early on or export and re-import objects that have a multitude of irrelevant sketches in them.

Marshall Peck
Protobuilds.com