Laser cut metallic paint?

me

Dec 8, 2017, 5:48:07 PM12/8/17
to ATXHS Discuss
a client requested silver paint on wood and I'm wondering if it will be OK to paint the wood first with this and then laser cut.  I've cut wood with regular paint but since this has metal particles will it still work in the machine without damaging it?  Here's a link to the technical info: https://www.modernmasters.com/~/media/ModernMasters/PDF/TDS/Metallic_Paint_Collection_Paints_TDS_10-2013.ashx

me

Dec 8, 2017, 5:50:18 PM12/8/17
to ATXHS Discuss

stephen.mercer

Dec 9, 2017, 10:04:07 AM12/9/17
to ATXHS Discuss
I have been laser cutting wood that is pre-painted with both Valspar gold spray paint and Rustoleum gold. I got a message from Rustoleum manufacturer that it was safe, and the Valspar seems to have similar ingredients list. It works great -- no odors, no fumes trying to kill me -- BUT >> important >> you *must* let it cure the full 48 hours that it says on the can. You can't just do this quick. The metallic paints have more reaction to the laser heat... if they haven't fully cured, and you will get a lot of melting and heat scoring.

I don't know if you will have the same effect with the brush-on paints. Find a can of Rustoleum and compare ingredients, maybe?

me

Dec 11, 2017, 1:32:14 PM12/11/17
to ATXHS Discuss
Thanks!

Jim Shepherd

Dec 11, 2017, 1:36:56 PM12/11/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Personally. When in doubt I wouldn't cut it. Remember all of us breath the fumes when they are pumped outside... You would have to be really sure. God forbid there was vinyls in the paint..