Remote freelancing, I-9 in Texas

gunnarkl

Jun 16, 2016, 11:59:16 AM6/16/16
to ATXHS Discuss
Hi all

Does anyone have experience getting an I-9 filled out in Texas? I just moved to Austin and joined the hackerspace a few months ago. I make my money doing freelance computer work and often work remotely in other states. In order to work remotely however I have to get a notary to act as an authorized representative of my company (not a notarize) and fill out an I-9 form. It was never a problem in Pennsylvania but every notary I talk to here tells me "notaries do not fill out i-9 forms in Texas". I figured someone might have dealt with this issue and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help
-Gunnar

james...@austin.rr.com

Jun 16, 2016, 11:30:51 PM6/16/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, gunnarkl
https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/federal-contractors/subcontractors-independent-contractors-and-affiliates

https://www.uscis.gov/faq-page/i-9-central-who-needs-complete-form-i-9#t17071n46933

http://www.texasemployerhandbook.com/2014/01/employment-law-101-i-9-forms/

You should probably talk to a CPA to be honest.
> --

-- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

james...@austin.rr.com
jch...@confusionresearchcenter.org
rav...@ssz.com

h: 512-657-1279

Adapt, Adopt, Improvise
-- -- -- --

Jon Kelly

Jun 16, 2016, 11:59:04 PM6/16/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, gunnarkl
I have to agree with James, as I am not a legal rep. You may be able to get the information you need from the Texas Workforce Commission, but a CPA is a solid paid option.

I have done freelance work from Texas for a company out of state. It was a nightmare for a number of reasons, but filing taxes was fairly straight forward. I did have to look into some of the legal aspects to cover my own ass after things went south.

Basically, from what it boiled down to when I was looking into it, as a person doing work for themselves in Texas, filing in Texas, they just need a 1099-misc. The concept and responsibility of the work being in another state is actually shifted to the contracting company, who is required to state that they are hiring people in Texas and file with the workforce.

The TL;DR version is I didn't file one because the work was considered to be done in Texas, not another state. This may not apply in your situation; also this was quite a few years ago now and the information was gathered after needing it, so definitely double check and consult with a pro.

gunnarkl

Jun 24, 2016, 5:40:47 PM6/24/16
to ATXHS Discuss
Thanks everyone I was able to find a Notary by the name of James Bond! who wold act as a company rep (I am not joking!).

-Gunnar